CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Chris Popovski

Profile:
Rotator cuff injury

I know there's a -ton- of threads on shoulders but I thought I might as well
post as I read through them all. Perhaps someone has some advice.

I've been dealing with various stages of this injury in my right shoulder which I'm starting to think may have been caused by dipping (on bars not rings). For a while I was sure it was push pressing or possibly pullups (which sometimes aggravates the problem at the bottom portion) but after the pushjerk WOD my shoulder was surprisingly fine. However after doing some bar dips last night I'm starting to think it's dips that are the problem.

My rehab has consisted of standard rotator cuff exercises (don't have the names off hand) first with resistance bands now with light weight.
I'm not sure what to do. I'm anxious to increase my dip strength but I can't ignore that I may be making the situation worse.

ANY advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Rotator cuff injury

Yeah... where does it hurt... and what exercises?

Pictures will give you better 'guesses' or 'estimates' (since I do not hold a degree or anything).
Old 02-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Chris Popovski

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Stephen.
Here's a pic from exrx:
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/DeltoidAnterior.html
So it's the middle and lower part of the anterior delt pic.

Exercises: sometimes the bottom/end portion of rows, pullups. If I do pushups on fists the bottom of the movement will hurt (due to the increased ROM) but lately it's usually just bar dips (boefore it was only at the end of the movement now it's throughout).

Hope that gives you a better idea.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Hmm, you didn't post the pic.

End of the rows and pullups... do you mean the starting position (hanging) or the top position where everything is fully retracted and tensed?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Chris Popovski

Profile:

This should do it:

http://exrx.net/Graphics/DeltoidAnteriorFront.gif

Sorry I guess that was unclear. I meant starting/hanging position.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Okay, obviously stay away from the stuff that makes it hurt. Massage, rest, etc. the whole shebang.

If you probe the spots are they squishy at all or can you feel like you can push in and then you sink in some more? That's generally indicative of swelling which means you're irritating something there and most likely something (usually a nerve) is getting pinched/impinged when you do exercises.

Also, if you look at a side view of yourself is your posture pretty poor (rounded shoulders, excess curved thoracic spine)? If so, that can contribute to tightness in the chest/anterior delt area obviously leading to pain. Check scapular retraction at rest as well.

FYI if anyone else is following along looking at the contributing causes are generally always the same (aka previous injuries, muscle imbalances, posture deficiencies, scapular protraction, lack of thoracic spine mobility)... and then you can branch out from there depending on what hurts it, where it hurts, etc.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Okay, obviously stay away from the stuff that makes it hurt. Massage, rest, etc. the whole shebang.

If you probe the spots are they squishy at all or can you feel like you can push in and then you sink in some more? That's generally indicative of swelling which means you're irritating something there and most likely something (usually a nerve) is getting pinched/impinged when you do exercises.

Also, if you look at a side view of yourself is your posture pretty poor (rounded shoulders, excess curved thoracic spine)? If so, that can contribute to tightness in the chest/anterior delt area obviously leading to pain. Check scapular retraction at rest as well.

FYI if anyone else is following along looking at the contributing causes are generally always the same (aka previous injuries, muscle imbalances, posture deficiencies, scapular protraction, lack of thoracic spine mobility)... and then you can branch out from there depending on what hurts it, where it hurts, etc.
This is such good shoulder care advice, I should print, enlarge, frame, and hang by my computer. You can laugh, but, I do the scapular retraction exercizes whever I think of it, and while trying to drift off to sleep. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Chris Popovski

Profile:

I'd say my posture is ok; sometimes I need to remind myself to retract my scapula though. Maybe that's a cause but I find it somewhat difficult to do that during dips when I tend to lean forward to find my center of gravity.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, after a good 2 months of pretty consistent rotator cuff strengthening I'm a little discouraged that I'm still not able to do dips.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

What exercises are you doing?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
Chris Popovski

Profile:

Lying internal rotation; lying external rotation; front lateral raise with internal rotation (10-30 degrees from the side) one with thumb down and another with palm up (2 different exercises).
I started doing these with my theraband 3*12 but have recently switched to low weights 3*15 about 3 x a week. Not sure which is better but it feels like I'm building more strength with the weights.