CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Any interest in a Crossfit finder program?

I know we've got a "search for crossfitters" section of the forum, but with the power of the web (and since everyone's location is in their forum name anyhow), it should be relatively easy to develop an app that would be able to "map" the locations of crossfitters (at least one's on the message board) near you. If you're in California, it'd probably be "oh, there's a guy next door". If you're in the black hole of Crossfit (Michigan, except for Ann Arbor), it'd be "there's a guy six towns over", but at least it'd give you an idea of who's around, and a method to contact them (if they're ok with that, which means making "enable eMails from other members" active by default in our registration, instead of inactive).

Does anyone know how this would work, and would be willing to write it if the "powers that be" are ok with it?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
Bill Patton

Profile:
Re: Any interest in a Crossfit finder program?

not to come across like the borg... but this would be a trivial function to enable for LogsItAll - i'd add a "allow me to be found by other crossfitters" setting in the profile - then there would be a "find crossfitters" page.

Enter your city/state/country and then see a list of found crossfitters. Click "send this user an email" would then send that person an email WITHOUT REVEALING their email (very important for privacy issues).

See this page for an example of "find a rower near you" that i built:
http://www.concept2.com/us/support/find/rowerfinder.asp

if there is enough interest i can add this to the list of features.

Bill [i've got no life] Patton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
I know we've got a "search for crossfitters" section of the forum, but with the power of the web (and since everyone's location is in their forum name anyhow), it should be relatively easy to develop an app that would be able to "map" the locations of crossfitters (at least one's on the message board) near you. If you're in California, it'd probably be "oh, there's a guy next door". If you're in the black hole of Crossfit (Michigan, except for Ann Arbor), it'd be "there's a guy six towns over", but at least it'd give you an idea of who's around, and a method to contact them (if they're ok with that, which means making "enable eMails from other members" active by default in our registration, instead of inactive).

Does anyone know how this would work, and would be willing to write it if the "powers that be" are ok with it?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

you can also use frappr for this kind of thing.

http://www.frappr.com/

w/f/s link
Old 09-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Ian Carver

Profile:

About 8-9 months ago, Frappr was posted under the main page WOD as a link to try out. A lot of people entered their info into it. I am not sure what happened to it, but I would assume it is still out there in CF cyberspace if someone could find it. It was pretty cool, but one problem I had was that it was taking forever to load fully and locking up my computer.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Patton View Post
not to come across like the borg... but this would be a trivial function to enable for LogsItAll - i'd add a "allow me to be found by other crossfitters" setting in the profile - then there would be a "find crossfitters" page.

Enter your city/state/country and then see a list of found crossfitters. Click "send this user an email" would then send that person an email WITHOUT REVEALING their email (very important for privacy issues).

See this page for an example of "find a rower near you" that i built:
http://www.concept2.com/us/support/find/rowerfinder.asp

if there is enough interest i can add this to the list of features.

Bill [i've got no life] Patton
You're hilarious Bill... the Borg... Bill "The Borg" Patton. There's nothing we can't do, we do it all. There's no point in resisting. And no, to avoid sounding like a Star Trek geek, I'm not going to use their trademark quote.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:

You could also use the Google Maps API to tie all that in. It has to remain publicly accessible, but that's the point isn't it?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

AmericanParkour uses the google maps locator thing. It's pretty neat.