CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Ben Kates

Profile:
Hello all,
I. too, am new to CF and upon completion of my first week I find I have a number of questions.

1) Are there any people who do CF in Colorado Springs? If so, where and when?

2) I read about posting results. Where can I do this as I would like to get motivated by other 45 year olds.

3) Yesterday when I completed the run and kettleball and then went to do the pullups- I found I couldn't get 12 in a single set. I was surprised as normally I can do about 20 pullups in a set. What happened? It, obviously got worse for sets 2 and 3. I was glad to finish in 17m 30 sec without losing my lunch. Looking forward to getting stronger.

4) I am really psyched about finding CF--I can't help but feel that I've been lookin for this system my whole life but just didn't know it until last week.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 07-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Hi Ben, welcome to CrossFit!

We ususally move posts about connecting up with other CrossFitters to the "Community" section of the board, but you asked so many other good "starting" questions, we'll leave your post here for now.

1) There are a fair number of Affiliates in Colorado (look on the right side of the main page), but not one (yet) in Colorado Springs. Hope you can connect up with someone local.

2) We encourage folks to post their results right in the "Comments" section (the daily blog) from the main page. At the bottom of each day's section (where the WOD is displayed) is a link to Comments. Click on that, and you'll be in a new window for reading and posting all kinds of stuff, including questions about that day's WOD, thoughts, and, oh yeah, results.

Alternatively, you can start your own public log of perfomances in the "Workout Logs" section of this discussion board.

3) As far as what happened to your pullups, well, you just ran 400 meters (hard, I hope), and swung a kettlebell or dumbbell 21 times (which you probably haven't done too much before). No surprise that your pullups were a bit off. It will get better.

4) Your feeling is common. Welcome home!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Ben Kates

Profile:
david,

thanks for your kind reply. I think I'll hold off on the public logging unless that section is in need of some laughter. I'll check in in six months.
thanks,
Ben
Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Welcome!

Keep asking questions, you will be amazed at your progress.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
Garth Reed

Profile:
Ben,
There is an affiliate in Castle Rock just north of you. 5280 CrossFit I believe their name is. Also, most of the Colorado shops are in South Denver so if you are ever up here, check one out. The people I have met have been absolutely outstanding. I just cant afford the rates so I have stuck to the main site and watch their sites.

In regards to finding disparity between various exercises in different WODs, I have found that there are certian combinations that knock the crap out of what you think you can do and at the same time, you are suprised that you could do another movement as well as you did. It is definately an amazing journey. I hope you stick with it!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
Andy Rogers

Profile:
Post your results. You won't hear laughter... you'll hear applause.

Posting your results - or even privately recording them if you're absolutely not comfortable posting them here - is like writing down a goal. It becomes something concrete. Something immutable. It becomse a challenge to yourself, especially when others are aware that you're kickin' your own butt to meet that goal.