CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
To get something started in Tucson, I'm seriously considering starting private and small group training at an outdoor city park, Udall to be exact.

There is a great "fitness course" area there with pullup bars, monkey bars, dip/arm-walking parallel bars, situp board, step-up platforms, etc. Nearly everything one might want besides the weights!

I looked on the City's Park and Rec site to see if there were any restrictions on conducting business (training) on the public grounds. I didn't see anything mentioned. Has anyone else done this to know? Anyone a previous or current parks and rec employee that might comment?

Everything would be taking place outside and I do carry the NSCA liability insurance, along with my USAW coverage (I'm not too familiar with that though).

I'm going to place notices on Active.com , our local Fitness Plus magazine, and my website (eventually). I was also going to make a stand-alone sandwich board, something along the lines of 'Personal Training in the Park".

Any ideas/comments/suggestions are welcome.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #2
Lisa Sanfilippo

Profile:
Hi Garrett,
Go for it! It sounds like you have the perfect set up for CrossFit and you will have no regrets. I have been doing the exact same thing you are speaking of at a public track for over 4 years. The group and I really enjoy being outside CrossFitting. Even when the weather is bad we just buck up and do it. Sort of comes with the territory of CrossFit. :0)
My insurance follows me where I train. Be sure to ask exactly what your policy covers.

I am pretty sure a number of affiliates started like this. Good Luck www.crossfitoklahoma.blogspot.com

(Message edited by sanfilippo on February 12, 2006)
Old 02-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Garrett

my wife's trainer here in Glendale/Peoria uses a Peoria city park w/o problems.

IMO, it's better to ask forgiveness than permission, because once/if you go to a city employee for an answer, if you're not told 'no' immediately, I am certain you'll be set off on some Homerian oddyssey or Kafkaeque Inquisition to obtain the answer.

My viewpoint is that it's a public park, and you're the public. Until they tell you to stop, use it. Also, if the DO tell you to stop, make them quote chapter and verse on their authority to make you stop.

The only thing I think they might decide to do is see if you have a business license...because the King's Men always want their tribute. Not sure what sort of license a trainer needs...but that's an area I think they could ding ya for.

TimW
Phoenix
instigator
Old 02-13-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
I use the parks for classes without problem. Four years running now. The hard part is bathroom and other facilities. No one even knows here in the people's state of Ann Arbor.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
Saul Jimenez

Profile:
I know that CrossFit NorCal does a park workout every month or so. Not sure if they asked permission, but it would seem that every city has different rules. I would agree with Tim and just do it without asking permission but that is just my opinion. I plan to start doing some workouts at a local park this very weekend.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Here are my thoughts so far.

I'm all for the 'ask forgiveness, not permission' with this situation.

Liability-wise, the city put the fitness course there in the first place, so they are liable for equipment failure with anyone training on it, for fun or profit.

I carry my insurance, so I'm covered.

I've got the business license, the king and his men are paid off.

Soccer coaches who have practices and games there are getting paid, why can't I?

Some other people's concerns have been with the sandwich board and 'advertising' my services so much.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
Jared Waltz

Profile:
Good point about the soccer teams, and ref's too.
Also concession booths.

I'm pretty sure Scrapper ran his classes out of a park in Hawaii.

If the sandwich board doesn't work out, the prone and sweat-drenched bodies gasping for air will at least get you some onlookers. ;)
Old 02-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Dr. G--
I am currently using a city park for our group training. When I contacted the city, prior to beginning, they said it was for anyone to use.
I've also run workouts on the beach here with no problems.
Hope that helps.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I wanted to say thank you for the help so far, if anyone else has anything to add, remember it will help me and future park CFers!! (at least the ones who can use the 'search' function!:lol:
Old 02-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
Paul Findley

Profile:
I would at least make a minimal effort, like get a copy of the park's written rules. So at least you are prepared to "do the time" if your going to "do the crime". You could also just post an advertisement for your class at the local police precinct :-)