CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
Ryan Copeland

Profile:
Anyone know anything about "Plantar Fasciitis". Doctor said I had that. Not so sure he did that much to inspect it, but thats what he said. I've had pain in my heal, he said it was due to the way I put extra pressure on my heals. Recomended I get a heal insert to put pressure on the front of my foot. I also get bad shin splints so I'm thinking the whole weight on heal thing might be related. Any thoughts?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Mark Brinton

Profile:
Ryan,

My podiatrist prescribed weighted calf lowers. That's the eccentric phase of the normal calf raise exercise. He would have me raise on both feet using moderate weight (gyms have these calf raise machines that work real good) and then take one foot away and lower slowly on one foot. The moderate weight became not-so-moderate when lowering on a single foot. Do alternating sets for both feet. It cleared up my plantar fasciitis and my achilles tendonitis.

For shin splints, I've heard that balancing a weight on your toe and then moving your foot up and down (like a foot curl or something) helps.

Heal inserts or insoles also help.

... and be sure to start with a suitably light weight for the calf lowers (maybe body weight to start) and build up from there.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 AM   #3
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Hi Ryan,

be sure to add some calves self-massage into your routine - while sitting, use the knee of the other side leg to press strongly into the calves (gastrocnemius and soleus), looking for tight areas and hard lumps that hurt when pressed. Massage them with strong pressure, using short, slow strokes in one direction, for about a minute or so, several times daily.

This will help to take excess pressure from cramped muscles off your aggravated tendons, aiding in recovery. Most runners (which are 95% of the patients to develop plantar fasciitis) have incredibly tight calves. Massage, stretch, strengthen with eccentric exercise.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 05-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Ryan,
The hallmark of plantar fasciitis is a piercing pain in the heel when you first stand up in the morning. You can treat that by wearing a foot brace in bed that keeps your foot dorsi flexed--not very comfortable.

Orthopedist will tell you to do archilles tendon-stretching exercises. I don't think those help much. What helped me and allowed me to start running again after laying off for 8 months was a form-fitted carbon-fiber insert. It's VERY rigid, and doesn't allow my foot to flex at all.

Unfortunately the inserts was really expensive. You can buy generic inserts for about $20, and are nearly as good.

good luck
Old 05-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
Carl Herzog

Profile:
Poke around www.heelspurs.com and very quickly you will know more about the condition than your doc. Calf stretches and arch support inserts help many people. Foot strengthening exercises are worth looking at as well.