CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Jason Ruggieri

Profile:
I'm wondering if anybody can help me... I'm trying to figure out what these "workout stations" are really called, that you sometime see in pblic parks. In fact many of the Crossfit Affiliates use these areas for their WODs.

They're typically constructed of railroad ties or some kind of similar lumber, and pipe. Usually there are some multiple height pullup stations, perhaps some parallel bars, perhaps some areas that serve as plyo steps or boxes...

What are these called? The reason I'm asking is there's a small 75ftx75ft space in my neighborhood (neighborhood is still under construction) that would be GREAT for one of these types of public fitness sites. Ofcourse my motivations are pretty selfish (wink wink), but I'd like to pitch ot the homeowners association. They can't cost much to construct and install, and the one time cost will probably be cheaper than the landscaping costs required to maintain whatever useless eyecandy they decide to put there.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Get them to install those multi level pullup bar stations....that would be the best one thing I would imagine...would be able to hang rings off them if they were high enough! (dips, muscleups, pushups, pullups, etc..)
Old 09-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Jason,

As a former lobbyist (sorry, world), I recommend you call it whatever you need to call it to get approval. "Family Fitness Area" sounds great to me.

Who doesn't love "Family Fitness"? :msn-wink:

I'd recommend seeking donations to fund the construction, and putting some nice plaques on the 6 x 6s of the various obstacles. Go straight to the suppliers--get a sponsorship from a lumberyard and a plumbing supply co, and give them plaques.

Find out everything you can about the local fitness situation. Pitch this space as a free alternative to "pricey" gym memberships, and a place for children to make up for the lack of PE in schools.

At 75' x 75', perhaps you could contact a local landscaper about donating a weekly grass cutting in exchange for a plaque, and pitch the project with maintenance included at no extra cost.

Set aside a portion for a sandbox and other small child distractions, so parents can bring kids while they workout.

The better your proposal when you put it before the homeowners, the better your shot of getting it approved. Get the details nailed down BEFORE the pitch.

Good luck!

Best,

Jon
Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
perhaps you are thinking of a "fitness/par course", a series of fitness stations typically around a running path. the installation of such a course would be a good Eagle Scout project.

http://columbia.yosemite.cc.ca.us/ca...essJogging.htm
http://www.stockteam.com/cptrail.html
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
Jim Butts

Profile:
Parcourse, pronounced [paar koor] or [parkour], meaning fitness trail. Hey, wait a minute, doesn't that look familiar?

http://outside.away.com/outside/maga...0005body1.html for an explanation/history
and http://www.gametime.com/subindex.asp...ts&g=Parcourse for one example of an equipment supplier.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
Jason Ruggieri

Profile:
Wow, solid replies. It's clear that you all know what I'm talking about. That's good. :-)

It appears that it is indeed a parcourse... :showoff:

Jon, thanks for detailed advice. I really appreciate it! I may be tapping you later for some more ideas.

Franklin, I believe that's what i'm thinking of, only all of the stations/obstacles would be colocated... vice around a running path.

Jim, thanks for the links. I'll read the Outside article as soon as I can, and those images in the second link look perfect. That is about the size of the area I'm looking at.

Nice. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Paul Findley

Profile:
Be sure to design in a DIP and a GHD station, more fun for the whole family that way.