CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
Kevin Mueller

Profile:
Re: Donny Shankle did "Grace" in 1:47

Pretty much as soon as he was done, Glenn started prodding him to try Isobel. "You could probably snatch it even faster, Donny."

Donny was in no mood to try it, though.

In addition to doing it in jeans and work boots, his entire warm-up consisted of swinging each arm once, maybe twice.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:

Didn't mean to stir up a controversy. Aren't they both the same amount of work? I guess I was asking a hypothetical question: can a proficient lifter snatch 135lbs 30 times faster clean and press/jerk it?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Yes. Josh Everett has something like a 1:30 Isabel time.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

My opinion on the snatch vs clean and jerk time question is that Donnie could have done the snatch 135 for 30 reps maybe 15 to 20 seconds faster than the clean and jerk workout. A snatch is just a faster movement, and Donnie was just pressing the first 15 or so lifts, which was slow and a waste of time. just snatching it would remove that. You have to remember that Donnie has never done crossfit, might not have ever even heard of it before last weekend, and probably has not done more than two reps in a row in any exercise for more than a year. He is simply not conditioned, physically or mentally, for this type of work.

It is my opinion, that if Donnie practiced maybe 2-3 times on this workout, not really to condition himself but more to learn technique effecient for reps for time and not maximal reps, he would do it in around a minute flat or maybe 1:15. Im certainly no expert on this, but that is what I would expect. could be wrong but i dont think so.

I will tell you one thing... Donnie was SMOKED after doing this. 1 hour later I thought he was having major problems. 4 hours later while we were eating steaks (great steaks!) with abadjiev he was STILL red in the face. I have seen Donnie snatch within 5kg of the American record 3 times, in 3 seperate workouts, in one day, along with clean and jerking 200kg or more (440lbs) in each of those workouts, and of course squatting heavy along with that in each workout, and I have NEVER seen him that smoked. CF is freaking BRUTAL if you are not prepared or conditioned for it.

I think I am going to try this C&J workout myself, but dont count on me making the results public.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #15
William Henniger

Profile:

Got the vid uploaded to the CrossFit server!

Tony pointed out that there were some reps that didn't get to full extension but like Glenn said this was the first CrossFit workout that this guy has ever tried.

The funniest thing is that he warmed up for about 2 seconds shaking his arms out and started to put the weight overhead. Not to mention he did this after winning the Nationals 2 hours prior.

Should be on the CrossFit site soon, either on the main site or the affiliate blog. If not I will put it on YouTube!

Glenn said one minute, that would be sweet!
Old 03-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #16
Allen Yeh

Profile:

Impressive stuff, the video should be good, thanks for taping it.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #17
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Two things strike me about this thread. First is that this guy is a real stud and that is an incredibly impressive performance. But the second thing is that this was a great example of how NOT to introduce someone to Crossfit, even a USAW champion.

“he was smoked and I mean smoked,”

“He walked around with that look that people get when they try a CrossFit workout for about 30 minutes!”

“his entire warm-up consisted of swinging each arm once, maybe twice.”

“Pretty much as soon as he was done, Glenn started prodding him to try Isobel. ‘You could probably snatch it even faster, Donny.’ Donny was in no mood to try it, though.”

“I will tell you one thing... Donnie was SMOKED after doing this. 1 hour later I thought he was having major problems. 4 hours later while we were eating steaks (great steaks!) with abadjiev he was STILL red in the face.”

“I have NEVER seen him that smoked.”

And here’s the key quote:
“You have to remember that Donnie has never done crossfit, might not have ever even heard of it before last weekend, and probably has not done more than two reps in a row in any exercise for more than a year. He is simply not conditioned, physically or mentally, for this type of work.”

There is nothing about being an elite Oly lifter that would make it anything but irresponsible to encourage someone to try a metcon workout like Grace, for time, as their first CF WOD. And let’s not even talk about prodding him into trying Isabel right after. Rhabo anyone?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #18
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

Lewis, you're talking about a USAW champion, not a freakin cubicle mushroom. It's awesome that he was willing to do it and went all out trying something totally new. Not a prescription for 95% of new, potential training clients, but I would give a Grace RX to just about any actively training athlete, infantry or SOG soldier, firefighter, etc. I was badly deconditioned and had a busted ankle when I tried it as my first CF workout (got 3:40 and I was smoked, and didn't have a clue the difference between a press and jerk, did all presses).

I was just going to mention that Coach pointed out how Dave Leys used to do Grace in 1:30, albeit with awful form. Allison-in-NYC got a video, with John Hackleman, of Glover Teixeira doing Grace in 1:51 (IIRC) about 5 weeks ago.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #19
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

Phenomenal!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #20
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I wouldn't worry about rhabdo as the result of less than 2 minutes of work.