CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
Cal Jones

Profile:
Another knee problem thread!

I didn't want to hijack the other Runner's Knee thread but I've had knee issues for quite some time.

A bit about me and my errant legs:

I'm female, 5'7 and about 148lbs (last I weighed myself, anyway). I am an English pear - I have fairly wide, boxy hips (39") and a tendency to put on weight below my waist. Consequently my femurs hang in at quite an angle - the Q angle is quite severe especially on the right leg, which means I am prone to knee problems.

I've had ITB issues with the left knee, but have been having a different sort of pain in the right knee for the last year or so.

What brought it on, I believe, was when I took up my current job. There is a 20-35 minute walk between my work and the nearest station (20 mins if I take the train and 35 mins if I take the less crowded and less stressful Tube). This involves climbing a fairly steep (1 in 10) hill on the way to work.
Now in the past, on gym nights, I would save time by running back to the station. This meant running down the hill, and I think this triggered problems with my knee. (I have run on and off for years but from my 30s on I tried to keep to the local common which is grass, mud and trail to save my knees. Of course, running to the station is also on concrete pavements). I also ran home a couple of times (about 5-6 miles or so but all hard pavements) and had knee pain after that.

I first noticed the pain after I'd run to the station and then boarded the train. It was quite a step up and I got a sharp pain behind my kneecap, a little to the left (towards the inside of the knee/leg). I stopped running for quite some time after that but things didn't improve much. I now run but use a Pose-type technique and run only on the balls of my feet (which is better for my knee, though my niggly right achilles doesn't care for this too much...but that's another issue).

I don't get quite so much of the sharp pain now but occassionally it happens. I do get a lower grade pain a lot of the time but I've been having joint pain for so many years I tend to filter it out most of the time.

It's most noticeable doing things like going up and down stairs, lunges (when it's the rear leg) or when I do knee bobs for push press. If I stand with feet hip-width apart and bend my knees slightly (like starting a sissy squat) then I can feel it.

I've not had any swelling. I have not seen a doctor (British GPs are crap for sports injuries - one fobbed me off with ibuprofen gel for my achilles tendonitis) and don't have much money to pay a sports physio, so looking for opinions here first. I figured it was either patellar tendinitis, or possibly a meniscus tear.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Re: Another knee problem thread!

Do you do any type of massage/foam rolling/tennis ball stuff on your lower body right now? If not I'd definitely give that a go on your entire lower body, it's pretty painful but worth it.

For the future, take a look at this article by Rachel Cosgrove(unsure if it's W/F/S?)
http://www.musclewithattitude.com/ar...cr=mwaTraining
Old 02-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Wade Smith

Profile:

Cal, I'm very sorry your knee is bothering you. As I read your post, the description/location of the knee pain sounds very similar to the patellar tendinitis I got back in September. I'd recommend that you at least find out what the issue is; get the xrays, etc, then go from there. As you know, there are some excellent posts/articles about rehabbing, foam-rolling, stretching, strengthening VMOs,etc right here in this "Injury Forum". But for your peace-of-mind, find out what's wrong so you know which direction to go. Good luck. --Wade
Old 02-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
Cal Jones

Profile:

Heh Allan, good article actually. My problems stem from being a weight obsessed teen who pounded the pavements twice daily to keep my weight down. I thought because my thighs touched all the way to the knee, it was because I was fat. Actually (though I am predisposed to put weight there) it was because of this blasted Q-angle thing. So I did a lot of damage and have been payinig for it ever since. (I see what you mean about the safe link - why do fitness models insist on getting their butts out for every photo shoot?)

Anyway, yes, I do actually enjoy the odd run - I find it a nice way to exercise when it's outdoors and I can watch squirrels and the other wildlife on the common. However, the knee has not only prevented me from doing this but I also had to quit Thai boxing (too much plyo in the warm-up part of the class was killing me) and have a lot of trouble doing squats and so forth.

I will look into rollers and maybe some massage. I think tight quads/hip flexors probably don't help. I sit at a desk many hours a day.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Allen Yeh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Jones View Post
I sit at a desk many hours a day.
I do too, the best thing to do is force yourself to get up every 15-30 minutes at the least. I know I can stretch a little bit at work without too many weird looks, not sure if the same rules would apply for you.