CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Amanda Buss

Profile:
Possible to Heal?

Bit of Background Info:

Age 15: Right ACL reconstruction with hamstring graft, two meniscus tears
Age 17: Left ACL reconstruction with hamstring graft, partial LCL tear not repaired

I never returned to full athletic ability following these injuries. Rehab was cut short both times due to insurance.

Age 17: During a spin cycling class following my ACL surgery, the instructor told us to breathe through our back. I felt a painless pop in the middle of my back. The next morning my back was in mild/moderate pain which would settle in my right shoulder. I have gone to several doctors/PTs for this and have been told it was a rib, arthritis, fibromyalgia, you get the picture…

4 years later, this lead to severe thoracic/cervical and right shoulder pain, headaches, and extreme fatigue. I was eventually diagnosed with a rare form of arthritis even though my x-rays and blood work were fine. Out of desperation, I took humira/methotrexate for a year which helped for a few days immediately after the humira injection.

After 1 year on humira, I ran across the KICK AS diet, very similar to paleo. I have followed the diet very strictly for the last two years, and it completely controls the inflammation. Paleo has given me my life back, but I want more…

My gait has never been normal after my surgeries. I think the culprit is my right leg, the lower leg swings outward. I constantly am tripping over things (tables, chairs, etc.) when I walk to close to them because of it. Before surgery, I was very athletic and had excellent quickness/speed, set records in sprints, played tennis, basketball, etc.

Whenever I run for a few minutes (I tried the couch to 5k program) or walk for more than 20 minutes, my knees become very painful/swollen. On top of this, my posture has become terrible. I try to keep my shoulders/back in correct posture according to PT (shoulders relaxed downwards, head pulled up in back with an imaginary string) and my back muscles spasm, making my right shoulder hurt more. I have gone to so many doctors/PT for this, I am tired of wasting money without getting any real solutions. I would love to be able to shoot hoops with friends, run, cycle, or at least walk for as long as I want. I also have a C2 rowing machine at home and have worked up an endurance of 10 minutes on it (sad, I know!) without having too much back pain afterword.

Thanks to paleo, I am at a very healthy weight in spite of all of this. I definitely am a skinny “fat” though and want to get in shape and live life more fully.

I am thinking if I could fix my gait, improve my posture, and strengthen, I could get over this. I’m just not sure what to work on first or how to approach it.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:
Re: Possible to Heal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Buss View Post
Bit of Background Info:

Age 15: Right ACL reconstruction with hamstring graft, two meniscus tears
Age 17: Left ACL reconstruction with hamstring graft, partial LCL tear not repaired

I never returned to full athletic ability following these injuries. Rehab was cut short both times due to insurance.

Age 17: During a spin cycling class following my ACL surgery, the instructor told us to breathe through our back. I felt a painless pop in the middle of my back. The next morning my back was in mild/moderate pain which would settle in my right shoulder. I have gone to several doctors/PTs for this and have been told it was a rib, arthritis, fibromyalgia, you get the picture…

4 years later, this lead to severe thoracic/cervical and right shoulder pain, headaches, and extreme fatigue. I was eventually diagnosed with a rare form of arthritis even though my x-rays and blood work were fine. Out of desperation, I took humira/methotrexate for a year which helped for a few days immediately after the humira injection.

After 1 year on humira, I ran across the KICK AS diet, very similar to paleo. I have followed the diet very strictly for the last two years, and it completely controls the inflammation. Paleo has given me my life back, but I want more…

My gait has never been normal after my surgeries. I think the culprit is my right leg, the lower leg swings outward. I constantly am tripping over things (tables, chairs, etc.) when I walk to close to them because of it. Before surgery, I was very athletic and had excellent quickness/speed, set records in sprints, played tennis, basketball, etc.

Whenever I run for a few minutes (I tried the couch to 5k program) or walk for more than 20 minutes, my knees become very painful/swollen. On top of this, my posture has become terrible. I try to keep my shoulders/back in correct posture according to PT (shoulders relaxed downwards, head pulled up in back with an imaginary string) and my back muscles spasm, making my right shoulder hurt more. I have gone to so many doctors/PT for this, I am tired of wasting money without getting any real solutions. I would love to be able to shoot hoops with friends, run, cycle, or at least walk for as long as I want. I also have a C2 rowing machine at home and have worked up an endurance of 10 minutes on it (sad, I know!) without having too much back pain afterword.

Thanks to paleo, I am at a very healthy weight in spite of all of this. I definitely am a skinny “fat” though and want to get in shape and live life more fully.

I am thinking if I could fix my gait, improve my posture, and strengthen, I could get over this. I’m just not sure what to work on first or how to approach it.

Any suggestions?
Amanda,
This is a tough one. Since you have already tried several things, it is hard to suggest others. It will definitely be a long process to straighten you out. I would work on a few things at a time, baby steps. work on flixibility everyday. work on exercises that will strengthen the small muscules that support the core. Having a strong core will allow you to focus on other areas. this email is turning into more of a "encouragement", by no means do I think I know how to handle your situation. keep us posted. maybe keep a diary of things you try, how it effects you and the results. good luck.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Amanda Buss

Profile:
Re: Possible to Heal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sprunger View Post
Amanda,
This is a tough one. Since you have already tried several things, it is hard to suggest others. It will definitely be a long process to straighten you out. I would work on a few things at a time, baby steps. work on flixibility everyday. work on exercises that will strengthen the small muscules that support the core. Having a strong core will allow you to focus on other areas. this email is turning into more of a "encouragement", by no means do I think I know how to handle your situation. keep us posted. maybe keep a diary of things you try, how it effects you and the results. good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement. Time is on my side being in my 20's...patience, not always!!

In all of my time with PT, I have not focused on my core at all. Any exercises you would recommend for the small muscles that support the core? I'm not sure what muscles those would be! I'm excited to have another approach to try.