CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Ian Jimenez

Profile:
Ok so I'm a 17 year old male. I want to try a diet that would be beneficial to me. My normal day consist of one hour of weight lifting(crossfit,I'm captain and changing the team over) or swimming at 6:00am followed by a 2 hour swim practice at 3:00pm. A normal day is around 5000 yards. I was wondering what diets would be recommended.

A second question I have recently been feeling very burnt out. This is only the first week of getting back "into shape", I was doing crossfit during the off-season so it has not been that bad,but I was wonder what would be good to eat after practice ect. to speed recovery time most importantly. One limitation is that after the morning practice I have to go to school and will not have accesses to my house.

Any help or comments will be most appreciated.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Most crossfitters follow the Zone and/or the Paleo diet. For pwo nutrition, some eat low gi carbs to replenish glycogen stores while others follow low-carb protein and fat at each meal regardless of timing. So so much info covered on this subject you would be doing yourself a huge disservice by not reading up further on it. Not to sidestep your question(s) but the best thing you can do at this point is go through the Nutrition archives and suck up as much info as you can. Thats the starting point. See where it take you.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
There is a TON to read on it, and a lot of opinions... me personally, after burning 800 calories in an hour on the ice speedskating, I use a ~100g maltodextrin (long chain, high GI carb) with ~20g protein powder all mixed in a 1L water jug. Drink half of it within 10 mins after the workout, and sip the rest for the next hour. It spikes insulin when your muscles are low on glycogen, causing your muscles to store either as much energy as they possibly can until they're "full", or as much energy is available till it's gone, whichever happens first.

But, I should note, I only do this when I've got 3 or more days worth of consecutive heavy workouts (>1 hour on ice usually) ahead of me. I'll drink it on the 1st day, sometimes on the 2nd day, and almost never drink it on the 3rd day. Or, if I've got a 2-day competition, I'll drink it at the end of the first day usually, and have plenty of carbs during the day to keep glycogen high enough in my muscles to maintain performance in competition.

Of course, I'm no expert, so definitely read up on as much as you can on the subject.