CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Travis Jones

Profile:
I have transitioned well to the Paleo style of diet. I have dropped the grains, no rice, no beans, no chips and really increased my intake of green veggies. I have also basically stopped drinking beer. I love the local/micro crafted beers. I also love a Guinness now and again. However, I still indulge with red wine. How much does this effect my diet?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
James Lewis

Profile:
Travis:

I adopted Paleo back in November and have been on it ever since.

You know what? Life is way too short for me to give up anything and everything that makes life fun and worth living. I have been pretty strict with my paleo diet and as a result, in the first 45 days I dropped 8 lbs from 181 to 173 (I'm at about 5% BF at this point). I have decided that although technically against the paleo diet, I drink a beer or two when I come home from work and to heck with the strictest interpretation of the diet.

There are those here on this board that will probably disagree with me, but I can't devote my entire life to training and eating without getting something out of it that as a reward! I train usually 12-13 workouts per week (I also do triathlon training) so my BF, weight and health are excellent. People can debate this till the cows come home, but in the end, does it make you happy (to drink a beer or two, but not overindulge) and does it really hurt your long term health? I would have to argue yes to the first question and no to the second, so....go for it!
Old 03-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
Steve Liberati

Profile:
You can always brew your "Stone Age Beer" like this guy did: http://www.discover.com/issues/nov-0...stone-age-beer
(rated pg-13, work/family safe) using paleo friendly foods such as: rice, grapes, honey, a starter culture, and dried hawthorn berries (Not sure about the rice though). Actually a few drinks here and there are not going to hurt you. In fact, its a good shock for your body from time to time (of course moderation being key:-( not to mention the social fun in it (drinking goggles removed!)
Be safe,
Steve
Old 03-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Paleo man in Ireland hunted wild Guinness daily...this is my translation...

There's Gluten free beer and so forth...but if you like beer, have in moderation...or mine as well go live in a bubble because I have news for you about how bad the air and water is for us too....
Old 03-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
I'm hosting UFC 68 tonight and the spirits will be flowing. I'll enjoy myself thoroughly, and then probably atone for my sins with a sprint-based workout tomorrow. Enjoy, but be safe!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Daniel Miller

Profile:
If you're trying to cut weight or have a "slow" metabolism then skip the booze. if not, when alcohol gets broken down you end up with a ton of NADH (energy yielding molecule) in your liver...glycolysis gets slowed down.

Personally, I drink anywhere from 1-3 good beers at least a few times per week. It just goes to well with bluegrass music and is to tasty not to enjoy. I also eat more or less paleo. After reading the Cordain's "Paleo for Atheletes" I felt a lot better about drinking beer.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
If you're trying to cut weight or have a "slow" metabolism

Why would you want a slow metabolism is if your trying to lose weight?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Jason Steele

Profile:
I think he was saying if you (1) are trying to cut weight or (2) have a slow metabolism (i.e. not wanting to achieve a state of slow metabolism, but already possess said slow metabolism)
Old 03-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
James Lewis

Profile:
I used to say "Life's too short to drink cheap beer." Now, with my Paleo diet in place I have modified that to Life's too short NOT to drink beer, so don't drink cheap beer!"
Old 03-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Travis:

Why do you work out? Why do you follow a strict diet? From where do you get your satisfaction? From what do you take joy?

I had an epiphany September 21, 2001. I realized that the things that made me feel badly made me feel worse than the things that made me feel good made me feel happy. My life strategy reaction was to actively avoid things that I knew would make me feel badly, partly because I had long ago realized how much harder it was to make the things that made me feel good happen.

But you know what? I adore red wine. I'm right this minute playing hookey from a card game while on a golf trip with several close friends, and my contribution to today's pleasure was to purchase the wine to go with the steaks. As hard as it is to find things that bring me joy, one thing I CAN do is simply to go to a wine store and choose a red for dinner.

Do those glasses of red wine make you happy? Paleo man sought happiness, too. Tonight was many, many bottles of Ravenswoode Zin, and we are all happy!

Opus One ain't paleo, but Opus One will have a positive effect on your diet...