CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
David Osorio

Profile:
In an effort to increase the amount of CHO/vit/min that i get from veggies rather than fruit, i've been experimenting with some v8 juice. Now i know the v8 isnt as good as fresh veggies but i need to make some more practical substitutions based on budget and time spent preparing foods. What are your thoughts on V8 or other healthier alternatives? Any tricks, recipes, or vegetable related info would be appreciated.

In 8 fl. oz of V8 there are:
50 Calories
10g cho
2g PRO
0g Fat
2g fiber
460mg of sodium
720mg of potassium
100% vit A & E

Ingredients: tomato juice from concentrate, reconstituted veg juice blend (carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce watercress and spinach) less than 2% of the following : salt potasium chloride, sugar, vit c..
Old 12-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
Ari Kestler

Profile:
I've tried V8 and some lower sodium brands but anyway you slice it, it's a lot of sodium. You also have to drink alot to get the veggie servings. I think 10 oz is one serving of vegetables? Can't really be used as a substitute for the real thing...imo...maybe as an addition.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Nikki Young

Profile:
The only real issue with all bottled up juices is that they have hit oxygen, causing nutrients to start to die off.. just like if you cut an apple in half it starts to go brown quickly, thats oxidation killing nutrients.. happening to the juice as well. So chances are the actual nutrition content of the V8 is fairly low.. probably better to go get a fresh juice made up with similar ingredients everyday, more expensive but a lot better for you in terms of nutritional value.. either that or try to include more F&V into your days.