CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Mike Bolton

Profile:
How will the new CF Certification structure impact your gym?

Do you foresee the new structure having an impact of how you hire trainers/ coaches?

I think there is a potential for professional coaches/trainers to differentiate themselves from the less experienced L1 certificate holders.

As as athlete, I would be more likely to choose a gym staffed by a higher credentialed staff.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2014/07/...-structure.tpl (wfs)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Ryan Saraco

Profile:
Re: How will the new CF Certification structure impact your gym?

I agree. It's funny, I am signed up for Coach's Prep next weekend, and an hour before the announcement I received the new workbook and course prep materials. I like it, athletes will be able to know their coach's experience and dedication to their craft, and make intelligent choices about where they want to train.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

There are alot of other advanced certifications outside of CF as well. OPT, RKC, etc.

I think it's good for CrossFit, but don't think it'll differentiate many affiliates from one another.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Bruce Henderson

Profile:

I agree that it's good for CrossFit. It addresses one of the primary complaints by those who beat us up. (Spend 1,000.00 & a weekend and open a box)

I hope you're wrong about it not differentiating one box from another. My wife and I hold 6 CF certifications and a USAW cert each and we promote it on our website and in our box when someone visits. I'd hate to think the money, time and learning we've gained will not be of value to our current and potential members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
There are alot of other advanced certifications outside of CF as well. OPT, RKC, etc.

I think it's good for CrossFit, but don't think it'll differentiate many affiliates from one another.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
Mike Hopper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Henderson View Post
I agree that it's good for CrossFit. It addresses one of the primary complaints by those who beat us up. (Spend 1,000.00 & a weekend and open a box)
It's CrossFit people who try to claim, after completion of the weekend course, that they know more about Sports Performance and Weight Lifting than someone with a sports medicine degree or similar who has undertaken multiple classes on this material over a couple years.. those are people who are "beating up" CrossFit...
Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #6
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post

There is a continuing education requirement for the higher credentials, in which OPT, RKC, USAW Sports Performance, CSCS, SEALFIT, and the CF specialty courses count towards.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
Steven Wingo

Profile:

My prediction is that boxes whose coaches pursue the new, higher qualifications--the Level 2, 3, and 4 designations--will be able to distinguish themselves from many others by providing better coaching. The real value is in the performance, not just a new designation next to someone's name. That will not always be true, since some folks with just Level 1s may be among the best trainers out there and may spend countless hours studying and learning without formally pursuing a designation. And an additional level of training does not guarantee someone will in fact become a better coach.

But in general, there will likely be a correlation between quality of coaching and educational level--those who are willing to work to improve their knowledge and skills through the higher designations are more likely to provide a higher level of coaching at their boxes.

I attended the Coaches' Prep Course less than two months ago and was worried whether it would be worth it--especially since I did not know at the time that it would result in the Level 2 designation. After the course, I was impressed. It was a wake up call to see just how well some of CrossFit's best trainers are at seeing faults and cueing them. It challenged all of us there in that we saw a higher level of coaching and gained the knowledge and skills and tools to start moving in that direction ourselves. For me, I came out of the weekend as a much better coach and have continued to improve since then as a result of what I learned.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
Sean Smith

Profile:

I value experience over a title. Basing your choice of gyms from a title might be the wrong approach.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Smith View Post
I value experience over a title. Basing your choice of gyms from a title might be the wrong approach.
This is where my statement was coming from.

10+ years experience with less letters behind your name is a more impressive track record; than 2-3 years and every certification under the sun.

Again, I think it's great for CF, and will likely continue through to Level 4; but I won't rely on that to drive members to our affiliate.

Send emails to all the Level 2 CF coaches and see how much that's helped them; I think you'll see the answer.
IMO, the best coaches in terms of running an affiliate are able to work with the largest, most vast populations of people. That takes many skills outside of training certs.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Tommy Alfinito

Profile:

If you are going to a seminar just so you can put it on your bio, you are misguided. I know coaches with 5+ certifications that can't coach a lick. It just means they paid and went to certifications.

We don't have our qualifications posted on the website and I don't have anyone's level 1 hung up. You know how many times I have been asked how many certifications I have from someone looking to join the gym? I never have been.

Continue to study and make sure you continue to teach and train your coaches. People can tell who has the knowledge and coaching skills and who doesn't pretty quickly. If you take a certification, take it because you value the curriculum, the teachers, and the experience, not because you want to have a long list of qualifications.