CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Will Hurst

Profile:
Telling a member to find another place

Anybody else had issues with a personality that you just can't get over and tell them to take a hike? We've had a couple transient guys that left other nearby boxes when we opened because "they didn't fit in". These guys are actually "weightlifters" who use our platforms another one did our CF program but was of the "jacked and tan" variety and loved to argue constantly from a powerlifters perspective in regard to program and training style.

Long story short, I told the weightlifter, who was formerly a cf-er he had to do one CF class a week to maintain his membership. He quit immediately. The other guy I just told him it wasn't a fit and that he need to find a gym that fit his training philosophy.

Honestly, I never "clicked" with either of these guys. Always felt as if there was constant judgement going on in the corner of the gym plus they were constantly interviening on classes and giving advice without checking with the coach on duty first.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 AM   #2
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: Telling a member to find another place

Good call.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

I've had one person that a "we need to talk" moment came up. I have a little tiny free garage gym with only one class a day, so it's important everyone gets along well for it to work. Things have gone great since the chat, but I just wish I had done it sooner versus agonizing over it for so long. Don't be afraid to just sit down with them to try and hash out the issues.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Just remember that different training philosophies can often lead to an arrogance (crossfit especially included). They don't have to agree with you that cf is the best in order to train at your box. Bottom line is they need to do what fit's their goals, and cf/met con is not it. Period. There is nothing wrong with that.

To someone who doesn't like parts of crossfit, yes, they may have been back there snickering at times. If you spend enough time around some different boxes, you will see some stuff sometimes that you will snicker at. We have all seen the video with the guy bouncing the sledge hammer up and down on the tire right? That was a cf competition and I laugh VERY hard at that every time I see it still. Some of the things done at the box I coach weightlifting/powerlifting at I will snicker at. The owners know it and we all laugh about it (in front of the class some times). My personality (and theirs) allows for this because of the friendly enviroment.

Simply telling them to take a hike in my eyes is wrong. They were paying customers and while they may have been trying to help with "free advise", take it for what it is, free advise from someone who may have more experience with something than the person coaching that class. Be grateful (to a point) that they were willing to take time out of their training to walk over and try to help someone get better. When I train I will sometimes walk over and help a few folks out with the class. I am also a coach there, so it's a little different but at that point you are getting the box's SME on barbells to come over. I'm also VERY careful to not step on the toes of whoever is coaching (only 3 coaches at my box so we are a tight knit group). But guess what, we do have different ideas of people's squat stance, and set up positions for the deadlift. This is ok, and perfectly acceptable as even Dave Castro explained in a video once on mainsite.

Now that also comes with the thought that maybe you should find a time or start a class for these guys? Obviously they need a place to train, and you have the equipment, so why not work something out? Yes, they will have a different mind set about burpees, and wall balls, etc, but I am sure you have a different concept of how dumb it is to not do any conditioning?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

I would be wary of booting a member on the mere grounds that the two of you don't "click" or that he/she doesn't fit in. The lack of "click" or "fit" isn't necessarily the member's problem.

If he/she is doing something in violation of member rules / policy, that's one thing, but kicking a member out on the sole grounds that you don't "click" with them is borderline unethical to me.

- Mark
Old 06-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
I would be wary of booting a member on the mere grounds that the two of you don't "click" or that he/she doesn't fit in. The lack of "click" or "fit" isn't necessarily the member's problem.

If he/she is doing something in violation of member rules / policy, that's one thing, but kicking a member out on the sole grounds that you don't "click" with them is borderline unethical to me.

- Mark
Thanks for saying what I was trying to say in a much less complex manner.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Will Hurst

Profile:

I don't know if I'd call it unethical, at the end of the day it's my gym and if they aren't a fit then frustration is going to manifest in many ways and it will affect the community I am trying to build.

I don't care how good an athlete is and I'm actually okay training other programs or modalities in my gym, I've gone to straight weightlifting myself at times. No doubt there are more knowledgeable athletes with high aspirations than me but if he/she is a jerk-off and wants to openly undermind me then they can find another place to train. If they want to help build a positive and supporting environment to train then I'm happy to have them.

With both these athletes it actually was when I tried to have a talk with them about these things that it escalated and led to making the decision to tell them to go elsewhere.

Last edited by Will Hurst : 06-26-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hurst View Post
I don't know if I'd call it unethical, at the end of the day it's my gym and if they aren't a fit then frustration is going to manifest in many ways and it will affect the community I am trying to build.
It's not *actually* unethical, no.

All I'm saying is that, if the member isn't violating a documented and visible policy/procedure/rule and instead just in your eyes somehow doesn't fit in, taking this "fit" issue out on the member is pretty wrong. Creating "fit" is a mutual responsibility.

That may not at all be the case in your particular situation. If not, just call this food for thought.

- Mark
Old 06-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

We have, but it was not for personality differences. It was for lack of respect for coaches and members.

I'm with Mark on this one.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
Will Hurst

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hurst View Post
Always felt as if there was constant judgement going on in the corner of the gym plus they were constantly interviening on classes and giving advice without checking with the coach on duty first.
Is this not the last thing I wrote in my OP? Did you guys just decide to not read all the way down? It is a rule in our facility that other athletes aren't allow to freely project on a class or member participating in a class while there is a coach actively involved. Is this not a reasonable concept? I have no problem with members sharing info, that's they CF way, but I'm not okay with someone trying take over a class and whispering advanced cues in to a members ears while a coach is teaching fundementals.