CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
Joseph Alberga

Profile:
2014 Regional Judge

Just got my confirmation to be a judge for the 2014 Central East Regional, because those who can't do... pass judgement on those who can. Excited to be a part of it!

Any experienced Regional or Games judges out there that can tell me what to expect in terms of the long days that will come? Not so much concerned with the actual judging as I am with everything going on behind the scenes. I imagine a pretty chaotic weekend...

Thanks all!

Joe
Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Diana Alt

Profile:
Re: 2014 Regional Judge

I haven't done any Regionals or Games judging but I hope to do it in the future! I do a ton of local judging and I judged more open WODs this year than anyone at my box except the owners.

Can you share a little bit about your judging credentials, other application credentials, and the process for getting selected?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

I just applied through the games website. They have you submit credentials and then I went through a 20 minute phone interview.

I'm Crossfit Lv. 1 certified, Crossfit Endurance certified, USAW Sports Performance Lv. 1 certified, took and passed the Crossfit judges course in 2013 and 2014, experienced in judging several competitions locally, experienced in producing, hosting, and executing a very successful competition at my box every year, experienced in competition against top regional athletes, etc., etc.

I'm not sure even all of that is necessary. But. Should be cool experience. I just expect the days to be long and stressful.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

I did it last year for our region. It was a lot of fun but felt we had too many teams and there was a lot of waiting to go judge. We would should up about an hour early to have a brief on the first workout for the judges and then go the athlete brief to answer any questions and demo standards. When we were down we had a section in the bleachers to watch and always had food and snacks to go eat. At the end of each day they had raffles and gave away schwag for the different groups volunteering.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wheeler View Post
I did it last year for our region. It was a lot of fun but felt we had too many teams and there was a lot of waiting to go judge. We would should up about an hour early to have a brief on the first workout for the judges and then go the athlete brief to answer any questions and demo standards. When we were down we had a section in the bleachers to watch and always had food and snacks to go eat. At the end of each day they had raffles and gave away schwag for the different groups volunteering.
Cool, thanks for the post man! That gives me a good idea of what to expect.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Amy Quenzer

Profile:

I was also selected to Judge for the first time at the North Central Regionals May 9-11 in Chicago. I'm very excited and honored! I was also very curious about what to expect with this level of competition vs the local throwdowns, etc. that we Judge in the off-season. I had similar experience as you; including judging a ton of the Open videos, which I found very helpful to fine tune catching no-reps. Anyway, the North Central Regionals Judges have a Facebook page to prepare for the event, and they put together a list of good tips, advice, pointers, etc. for the newbies. I thought it was pretty helpful so thought I'd share...

Tips for New Judges (and reminders for everyone else!)
*Don't disappear when you're not working a heat.
*Bring 2 or 3 pens.
*Do NOT incite the crowd. (we had this issue last year and I think the HQ people nearly lost their ****)
*The stop watches that you take on to the floor need to be circulated
*Bring snacks - they have gotten better with it over the years, but as a general rule, BYOS(nacks)
*Some food will be provided. Be prepared in case they run out of food.
*Hydrate!
*Be ready for a sore throat (it can get obscenely loud on the floor, and you will likely lose your voice.)
*Don't take anything personally. We truly appreciate every single one of you dedicating your time to the sport we have all come to love.
*Don't dress in loud clothing.
*There will be a small area for judges to leave their gear.
*Judges do not need to purchase spectator tickets.
*Bring (thin) knee pads if you think you'll get sore knees
*You are not required to wear nanos.
*If you don't have a car, consider buying a weekend CTA pass.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:41 AM   #7
Rajat Khattri

Profile:

Thanx Amy and Jeff for the advice, got selected to judge in Asia Regionals and was wondering what it would be like for a first timer like me.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:26 AM   #8
Rajat Khattri

Profile:

Just Read an article:
http://therxreview.com/crossfit-judges-perspective/
a great read, especially for someone who has volunteered or is thinking about volunteering as a Judge for regionals. Its about the experience and the love of crossfit that all of us share. Probably that's why I'll be travelling 5500 kms(3500 miles) to be a part of my first regionals at Crossfit Asia Regionals.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Alberga View Post
Just got my confirmation to be a judge for the 2014 Central East Regional, because those who can't do... pass judgement on those who can. Excited to be a part of it!

Any experienced Regional or Games judges out there that can tell me what to expect in terms of the long days that will come? Not so much concerned with the actual judging as I am with everything going on behind the scenes. I imagine a pretty chaotic weekend...

Thanks all!

Joe
Actually... Make the judging your ONLY concern. No matter how seasoned you are, done some local throwdowns etc, IMO Regionals are completely all new game. So much more intensity, tight setup on the floor, loud, lots of distraction..

You shouldn't even notice the stuff going on behind the scenes, or if you do, you might be in the wrong committee