CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #91
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: 14.4 Tips and strategies

Great job, Beth, on T2B!

I got strict muscle-ups about two months ago, which was about three months into CF. Since then, however, I've struggled, mostly mental, and partly not doing a lot of training on pullup/row strength. TTB are my jam, however, and my coach had been telling me all week that this was my week. I'm a good rower, I knew I could keep whatever (reasonable) pace I wanted there, was going to just feel out a fast-but-not-taxing pace for T2B, and then wall balls and cleans I didn't fear at all. It was just about if I'd give myself enough time to get some decent attempts on the rings.

I went about 3 minutes on the row, and 3 minutes on T2B, so including transitions, I was on the wall balls around 6:30 or so, I think. I felt surprisingly good, I went 10-10-10-5-5, which was paced out because I did fear how/whether cleans would start to gas me. My HR definitely got up on those, but it never felt heavy. All singles, with only backing off the bar maybe two or three times, otherwise, I was picking it right back up after a quick breath. My time off those was 11:47. Took my time, I knew I was only going to get any MU's one at a time, and really wanted the first, so I think I jumped up at maybe 12:30. Got my first three, then a fail, then a fourth right at the end. Totally psyched. Right now, that's standing around top 6% in both the world and my region for 40-44 men.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #92
Alex Romero

Profile:

171 here. I knew right off the bat I was gonna do all TTB singles to nurse my shoulder, but turns out I also battled bad abdominal cramps during the TTB. I fought through and ended up with 21 reps on the cleans. I'm happy with my score
Old 03-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #93
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Changed my rep scheme considerably. Got to the MUs like 17 seconds later but felt way better. Went from 0 MUs on 5 attempts to 4 on 5 attempts. Really wish I wouldn't of missed that one, I was shooting for 185. Still happy after Friday's failure though.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 AM   #94
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
Changed my rep scheme considerably. Got to the MUs like 17 seconds later but felt way better. Went from 0 MUs on 5 attempts to 4 on 5 attempts. Really wish I wouldn't of missed that one, I was shooting for 185. Still happy after Friday's failure though.
Nice work. I admire your ability to regulate your engine and come in feeling fresher. This wod wreaked havoc on people (me included) as you don't see it coming them wham, you're gassed.

Solid. I did not re-do. Still too sore on my bad leg and just backed off...even took a pass on strength work yesterday and just did WOD only. Glad I decided to pass. 180 vs. 181 or 182 means nothing (for me) as I had to all but tank wod's 2 and 3 based on rehabbing my back.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #95
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

A bunch of people at my box re-did last night. One guy is a pretty good friend, given the short time I've been there. I watched him do T2B the first time, but I was judging him this time. I remembered on his T2B kip, he goes right up into one, then a nice kip on #2, but then his swing gets off, and he doesn't get his feet behind the plane for #3....like not even close. Last night, the first time I saw it start to happen, he DID get them JUST behind, but I cautioned him to make sure he got his heels back. Next set he jumps up for, on that third kip, his feet were probably a good 12" short of the vertical plane, I had to no-rep him, and told him why. I think it got in his head, because I think no one ever called him on it, so his rhythm was used to having this 3rd rep be a 'short rep.' I kinda felt bad, but.......
Old 03-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #96
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
A bunch of people at my box re-did last night. One guy is a pretty good friend, given the short time I've been there. I watched him do T2B the first time, but I was judging him this time. I remembered on his T2B kip, he goes right up into one, then a nice kip on #2, but then his swing gets off, and he doesn't get his feet behind the plane for #3....like not even close. Last night, the first time I saw it start to happen, he DID get them JUST behind, but I cautioned him to make sure he got his heels back. Next set he jumps up for, on that third kip, his feet were probably a good 12" short of the vertical plane, I had to no-rep him, and told him why. I think it got in his head, because I think no one ever called him on it, so his rhythm was used to having this 3rd rep be a 'short rep.' I kinda felt bad, but.......
You did the right thing, judging is more difficult than most realize until they're put in the position to "no rep" someone. It'll make that athlete better in the long run though and maintain the integrity of the competition