CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Tim Squires

Profile:
Recalculated Team Scores

It's pretty much a guess at this point and dependent on a large number of things, but does anyone have any predictions for what the lowest placed teams will be that will make it into the top 30 for regionals once individuals declare as such? 45th? 50th? 60th?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Jenni Hartman

Profile:
Re: Recalculated Team Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Squires View Post
It's pretty much a guess at this point and dependent on a large number of things, but does anyone have any predictions for what the lowest placed teams will be that will make it into the top 30 for regionals once individuals declare as such? 45th? 50th? 60th?
I think it really depends on if the individual athletes are on teams that are in the #1-#15 teams (that would be qualifying anyway because they have strong teams already) or the #16-#30 teams (that may not have qualified without their strongest competitor).

In my Region (North Central), even if you take out Stacie Tovar and Kyle Kasperbauer, CrossFit Omaha obviously still qualifies a team. If you take out Elisabeth Akinwale, I don't know that her team (CrossFit Construct) will qualify.

Which kinda makes me wonder why these individual athletes even signed up on their teams to begin with...they could have competed for the affiliate but not on the team, so their team actually knows where they stand. Unless there's a question of possibly "going team", it makes no sense to join the team at all.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Hartman View Post
I think it really depends on if the individual athletes are on teams that are in the #1-#15 teams (that would be qualifying anyway because they have strong teams already) or the #16-#30 teams (that may not have qualified without their strongest competitor).

In my Region (North Central), even if you take out Stacie Tovar and Kyle Kasperbauer, CrossFit Omaha obviously still qualifies a team. If you take out Elisabeth Akinwale, I don't know that her team (CrossFit Construct) will qualify.

Which kinda makes me wonder why these individual athletes even signed up on their teams to begin with...they could have competed for the affiliate but not on the team, so their team actually knows where they stand. Unless there's a question of possibly "going team", it makes no sense to join the team at all.
Anyone on the roster can be used for the team. So while their score may not count towards the team actually going to regionals, they are still available to that team for the games. So if, one of these athletes miss at the regionals, they can still participate on that team at the games. If they are not initially listed as a team member, then they can't be recruited for the games on that team. It can, does, and has happened.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #4
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Anyone on the roster can be used for the team. So while their score may not count towards the team actually going to regionals, they are still available to that team for the games. So if, one of these athletes miss at the regionals, they can still participate on that team at the games. If they are not initially listed as a team member, then they can't be recruited for the games on that team. It can, does, and has happened.
I see what you mean. Didn't realize that. I think Stacie Tovar and Elisabeth Akinwale are going to be 2 of the 3 qualifiers individually to the Games though, so I doubt they'd "go team." They've dominated the North Central Regional every year.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
Beth Martino

Profile:

Or even if an injury were to happen and they pull out of the open or wouldn't be able to compete at regionals - their scores would still count for their team then.

I'm really interested to see how it all shakes out, because our gym's team is sitting at 17th overall in our region at the moment, and we don't have anyone going individual, so our placing can only go up from where we finish. We do have two 40-44 Masters that are currently in the top 25 worldwide for their divisions so have a chance of going to the games.. but the answer we seem to have gotten from HQ is that they would still be eligible to compete with the team at regionals. It's exciting for us being a box that's only been open since July.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I feel like if your gym is good enough to have someone finishing in the top 48 in the region, their score would float the team pretty high. Likely in the top 60, if not much higher. Also, if a gym is good enough to have a regionals athlete, they'll probably have a few other decent members so they'll place fairly high.

I'm thinking teams 31-45 if they don't have a regionals athlete, will likely make it. Possibly more. I wouldn't feel completely safe unless I was top 40 though.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I feel like if your gym is good enough to have someone finishing in the top 48 in the region, their score would float the team pretty high. Likely in the top 60, if not much higher. Also, if a gym is good enough to have a regionals athlete, they'll probably have a few other decent members so they'll place fairly high.

I'm thinking teams 31-45 if they don't have a regionals athlete, will likely make it. Possibly more. I wouldn't feel completely safe unless I was top 40 though.
Our team is sitting at #41 right now. I would really rather be in the top 30 at the close of 14.5, so we're hoping the next two WODs are good for us as a team.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Mike Pratt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Hartman View Post
I see what you mean. Didn't realize that. I think Stacie Tovar and Elisabeth Akinwale are going to be 2 of the 3 qualifiers individually to the Games though, so I doubt they'd "go team." They've dominated the North Central Regional every year.
I wouldnt etch that in stone just yet, there are some competitors in that region that have stepped it up this year.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pratt View Post
I wouldnt etch that in stone just yet, there are some competitors in that region that have stepped it up this year.
Agreed. Jessica Schulz, Kelley Jackson are two that are consistently at the top.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

So, I'm REALLY bored at work.

I just took all the athletes from the top 15 teams in my region (Mid Atlantic) that contributed to their teams scores through the first three weeks of the Open. I removed all the duplicates, then cross referenced them in Excel with the top 48 individual men and women in the region and of those 96 people, 30 of them were on the top 15 teams.

So, assuming a majority of them go as individuals, it looks like we might see a significant shake up of the leaderboard after people declare.

Anyone better than me a statistics or whatever that can think of a more effective way to do this? Think I'm off in my assumption?

EDIT: I just did it to include the top 30 teams and overlapping individuals moved from 30 people to 44.

Last edited by Jayme Gruber : 03-18-2014 at 10:52 AM.