CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:
Deadlifting, 1yr later: 6 "rack pulls" @ 225

So, Oct 5, 2012 (1yr ago tomorrow), I hurt my back warming up with 225lb deadlifts (on way up to 340 that day). Got diagnosed with SI joint issues (on right side), then rushed myself back to playing ultimate, and got hamstring tendinopathy in my left leg, which I've been rehabbing since April.

I've been following Mike Robertson's Bulletproof Athlete for 2 months, and it now calls for trap bar deadlifts or rack pulls. I did "rack pulls" (ended up being basically a deadlift with bout 3" higher starting point) today and got up to 6 @ 225.

Here is the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7F9B...ature=youtu.be (WFS)

I did feel a bit odd on my right side still: really tight hip flexor / groin, and some low back pain. I also noticed that a lot of times when I lowered the bar, it came down diagonally (farther forward on the right side).

Any tips? I don't plan on increasing weight quickly since I'm still recovering...
Old 10-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Deadlifting, 1yr later: 6 "rack pulls" @ 225

that was not really a rack pull, rack pull are just below /above the knees.

You are letting your rear come up befor your shoulders, is should be even. Shoulders and hips should come up at the same time.

Your back is straight and looks good though.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:

Yea, whence the quotation marks around "rack pull". I want the bar just below my knees, but the racks in my gym only go low enough to get a couple inches above my knees. This was my first session doing them, so maybe I'll find a better setup to get the height I want.

Any tips on how to ensure my hips don't rise early?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

There is no definition of "rack pulls" having to be a certain distance from the knee. You choose the position for your purpose. But, the higher you go most of the time the more it just strokes your ego.

I'm confused, because it looks like it starts below your knees. My understanding with Mike Robertson's program is to find the lowest rack pull that will put you in a good posture for deadlifting.

To prevent the hips from popping up before the shoulders make sure you keep your weight back, drive through the heels and push your gut out like you would in a squat for abdominal stability.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Shane Steinert-Threlkeld

Profile:

Thanks for the tips!

The bar is definitely quite a ways below my knees. What I was trying to say is that the actual pins that go in the racks don't go low enough, so here I rested the bar on feet platforms to get it slightly more elevated (~3") than on the ground instead of using the pins in the rack. But since it sounds like my 'posture for deadlifting' here was good, I could stick with that height for this program.