CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #11
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

Your body is starving for nutrients after an intense WOD, and anabolism (muscle building) will begin as soon as you rest and provide muscle building blocks. You may do well to eat a carb-free protein meal soon after to aide in more efficient protein synthesis and extend fatty acid metabolism.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:53 PM   #12
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

An explanation all at once:
The 40 minute WALK serves to speed the intramuscular scrubbing of lactic acid that has built up due to a depletion of ATP that is produced during the oxygen-dependent electron transport cycle during aerobic metabolism. This is accomplished by increasing cellular O2 levels under very low ATP demand. This is good.

Fatty acids are not made of glycogen, and metabolism of fatty acids will not restore muscle glycogen. Fatty acids store as much as six times the energy per unit mass as a carbohydrate. Fatty acids are broken down into aldehydes, ketones, phosphates, etc. The energy released powers the phosphorylation of cellular AMP/ADP to ATP to do more work. This was in error.

Some protein supplements come without carbs added. I recall at least one brand advertising "zero carb." This was in error.

Yes, fat metabolism ceases in the presence of carbs. This is good.

Glycogen supercompensation occurs for as much as two hours post exercise. This is good.

Information on insulin sensitivity with regard to glucose effectiveness is largely debated, and most studies I have encountered engage diabetics, both insulin dependent and independent. Largely correlated is body fat and familial history. No call here as this has been undergoing continuous research since the early 1960s, and the verdict is still out.

In concordance with what Jason said, see what works best for you. Arm yourself with knowledge, and make informed decisions backed by peer reviewed scientific studies.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:48 AM   #13
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
I'm no expert in this area but I have tried low carb (Atkins) while training to run a half marathon. Atkins and DeVaney are similar in the respect that they want you burning fats all the time as the source of energy, and both believe that this was the metabolism that evolution has adapted us to prefer.
I believe that DeVaney's advice about post exercise nutrition only applies to persons who are or who want to stay constantly in the fat burning zone. When your body is adapted to burning carbs, then you need to replace them post exercise, and the optimal window for that is soon after exercise. But when your body is adapted to burning fat, I think you can and should follow Devaney's advice.
I found that the transition from burning carbs to burning fats takes about two weeks and is very difficult. You feel tired, lethargic, training sessions are difficult, but then the adaptation kicks in and at least in my experience, you are better off for it. You cannot "bonk" because even lean people have plenty of fat for endurance events. However, if your muscles have not made the transition, have not adapted to fat burning, then you will bonk in an endurance event unless you take in carbs
The Atkins website has a testimonial article from an MD who does Ironman, of course without carb loading or carb replacement.
http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/5/28-99286.html

So, I lean toward thinking that low carb, paleo is best, and that DeVaney's advice about post exercise nutrition is good advice for those who are on such a diet.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #14
Jay Swan

Profile:
John Berardi advocates a very high-glycemic-index post-workout drink, and the rest of the time practicing a insulin-controlling diet.

I use Surge, the post-workout drink he invented, after long endurance workouts and have noticed a dramatically reduced recovery time.

See http://johnberardi.com or T-Nation.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #15
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
Dave Barr has an excellent article adressing post-workout nutrition needs at T-Nation.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #16
Hone Watson

Profile:
My understanding is that De Vany's two primary aims with his Evolutionary Fitness are to counter hyperinsulinemia and hypoexertion.

I think its misrepresentative to compare Aitkens with De Vany.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #17
Bill Betts

Profile:

Re: "Considering the large insulin response to regular milk (whole and skim) I don't think chocolate milk would be recommeded at all."

I always understood that chocolate milk is a good post workout choice.

My Glycemic response chart shows Chocolate Milk with a Glycemic of 35, and Skim and whole at 32. This is the 1-100 scale with glucose as 100.

The nutrient info on http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

indicates 1 cup of chocolate milk, (250gms) has 7.92 gms prot, 8.47gms fat and 25.85 gms carb.

that is 32 cals of protein}}}, 81 of fat and 100 of carb.

A scoop of prot powder and this will be in the zone. It is also quite low on the glycemic table and shouuld not trigger a large insulin response.

I would appreciate all comments and feedback.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:04 AM   #18
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Bill, your right!
Old 06-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #19
Robert Wolf

Profile:
When I did the post WO carb spike I got fat...right around the midsection where you do not want it. For some their activity level may warrant a carb spike but for me 3 on 1 off WOD and ~ 18 hrs of capoeira per week was not enough to offset the fat gain.

All I know for certain is that I feel very good not eating imediately after WO. As I mentioned in the Fasting thread I have been training on an empty stomach which is another no-no but my BW is inching up (no fat gain either) and my performacne is good despite inadequate sleep most nights.

One of the key features of insulin sensitivity is that circulating blood glucose leves are low and the body is able to use fat as a fuel source. With teh intermittent fasting studies the animals have shown very high levels of ketone bodies
(b-hydroxy butyrate) which has neuro-protective action. if one is insulin sensitive there is no problem with mental clarity and a low carb window of time.

If one is feeling flat from WO to WO it makes sense ot try the carb spike but have not liked the results.
Robb

Old 06-27-2005, 02:42 PM   #20
Kalen Meine

Profile:
And once again Mr. Wolf carves through the crap. Woohoo!