CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
William Tsang

Profile:
CrossFit and Yoga

I'm new to this forum and would like to introduce myself.
I started CrossFit last summer and it has engaged me to see health and fitness in a whole new perspective like no other fitness program. To me, CrossFit is a lifestyle change that I have decided to prioritize in my life.

I also incorporate Yoga in my training because I believe that everyone needs to have a balance with everything they do in life. In Yoga (Ying), we learn to connect with ourselves, to calm the mind, and focus on our breath. It is soft, peaceful and helps condition our bodies and promote flexibility (especially in a hot room). CrossFit (Yang), is intense, aggressive, pushes us to excel, strives our body to go beyond in a functional and safe manner. It doesn’t just condition our bodies but also the mind to believe in ourselves.

CrossFit and Yoga provides me with the perfect balance in fitness. Hope everyone finds their balance in fitness.

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #2
Charlotte G Mann

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and Yoga

I too do yoga alongside crossfit.

I was practising yoga before CF and I found that they complemented each other really well, apart from the polar opposites of exhaustion to relaxation, the balance, and mobility that yoga gives you can be transferred over to crossfit.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Glenn Gress

Profile:

I too practice crossfit and yoga (bikram hot yoga), I feel like they really feed off each other well. I cant do too much of one without mixing in the other. The high intensity workouts mixed with the calming relaxation and heated stretching really compliment each other perfectly, I really notice the benefits in running and/or squatting wods. I feel better depth on my squats as well as less tightness when I run. This is probably due to the concentration bikram has on the posterior chain as well as up into your back. Its also just a great form of general active recovery. Im surprised more crossfitters haven't gotten into it on off or lower volume days.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:

+1 for CrossFit and yoga. I've been doing Bikram since 2007 and vinyasa flow since 2009. I think overall Bikram compliments CrossFit the best. The flexibility and balance I develop with CrossFit and yoga are constantly making greater performance possible in each.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Justin R Johnson

Profile:

I did a write up on my blog about CrossFit and Yoga, if anyone is looking for descriptions of a few different types of Yoga, be sure to check it out

http://www.everylastrep.com/crossfit...ssfit-and-yoga
Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #6
Cody Fletcher

Profile:

At our gym, we recently started incorporating a yoga class on Tuesdays mixed in between our Metcon classes. And it's done nothing but made everyone better. You tend to lose that flexibility from building muscles and doing, although usually complex, CrossFit movements so this helps loosen up those muscles and get deeper or better in every way.

I HIGHLY recommend any other boxes out there to find a good Yogi to come in and teach a yoga class. Our class tends to be "geared" more towards the CrossFit mentality so lots of strong holds, good flows, and of course there's that built in competition to try the hard moves and push everything to the max.
DL-475/CL&PR-275/BS-355/FS-345/SN-194/Fran-2:31/FGB-504 reps/HalfMar-1:25:57row
Old 04-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
Scott Siegel

Profile:

I kinda wanted to bring this thread back alive a little bit. But, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Yoga DVD that would be good for someone trying to start into Yoga, but also does Crossfit. I have done very few yoga classes and wanted to start incorporating it into my weekly routine, but I'm not sure I can make it to any classes due to time constrictions with work and Crossfit, so a DVD that I could do at home would be great. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:21 AM   #8
Bryan Wilson

Profile:

Scott, I do about 20 min of post workout yoga with my wife on most days and we just youtube 'Yoga for Beginners', there's an endless supply of quick 20 min videos on there for every skill level.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
John Matthew Ware

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Siegel View Post
I kinda wanted to bring this thread back alive a little bit. But, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Yoga DVD that would be good for someone trying to start into Yoga, but also does Crossfit. I have done very few yoga classes and wanted to start incorporating it into my weekly routine, but I'm not sure I can make it to any classes due to time constrictions with work and Crossfit, so a DVD that I could do at home would be great. Any suggestions would be great.
Try the most recent Bob Harper yoga dvd...There's some explosive power exercises in it, as well as the typical vinyasa and stretching stuff...I also enjoy his "Yoga For the Warrior" or whatever it's named, which is more traditional in it approach...Both are about an hour long.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Ryan Schauland

Profile:

Funny--I've finally started doing yoga consistently and was wondering how common that was and then there's this at the top of message board!

As for recommendations, if you do yoga enough to justify spending some money, the quality of videos on yogatoday.com is worth the $8/mo or whatever it is. Most vid's are a full hour, and the video and instructor quality is top notch. I just haven't found much in the world of free yoga videos that I enjoyed. There are a few free yoga videos on Amazon Instant video (I mean, free if you already have Amazon Prime), but the quality varies and the "Biggest Loser" type yoga videos tend to be obnoxious.