CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-25-2004, 09:08 AM   #1
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Looking for some inspiration.... how do you keep your resolve to resist the temptation of indulging in all those lovely foods which are just sooooo out of bounds on a healthy diet?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:27 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul-

I guess I am lucky! Must grains do some terrible things to my inards so I have a pretty weel established pavlovian response! The folks with iron guts are the ones who have the most problems I guess.

I do notice that if I am not sleeping enough I crave junk a bunch more.
Robb
Old 10-25-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Good question. I've cut out about 90% of the junk I eat (I still eat a few servings of sugar free replacements and grains). I don't think I could go 'all out' though. The only tangible benefit I've noticed is better teeth (soda really rots them), ability to go without food for many hours, thinner, less colds. Nothing miraculous really happens. And when you eat junk, it still tastes just as good.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Paul K.,
As a former RBD (really big dude) I can start by saying that it ain't easy. I started "cold turkey" and ended up in a place called moderation. Not sure who said it, but Barry Sears repeated when he said, "Moderation in all things is needed." I like, no love, beer, but I only drink on the weekend and even then, after I've done my WOD. Makes for a nice reward after a 5K run to crack open a Lite and cool down.
As for sweets, I still like my ice cream, I just eat it less often. I also found out that what people have said about changes when following the Zone are essentially true; you do lose the cravings for most sweets. I find that the fruit I now eat satisfies my sweet tooth. I also don't crave those starchy carbs like rice and potatoes on the Zone. I do endulge in chips and salsa when going out for Mexican food (in So. Cal. we've got the best!!). I just stay away from the rice and beans that come with my machaca and eggs (I do eat the corn tortillas though!). I feel it's OK to do this as long as I'm not going out for Mexican food 2-3 times a week. Pizza is another thing I'll treat myself to once or twice a month, not once a week.
In all, stick with the plan of good healthy foods 95% of the time and allow a "cheat" every so often. Listen to your body and look into the mirror. If your not shedding fat, you're cheating too often. If you're disciplined enough to do the WOD, eating right is a piece of cake! (couldn't resist the metaphor!)
On a totally unrelated side note:
Robb, I play softball with a gal who's celiac. She likes her beer too, but the gluten wrecks her. She stirs her beer to break down the carbination. She says it helps. Does this sound familiar to you? Just wondering.
BTW, beer makes this gal loopy as all get out!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
" I also found out that what people have said about changes when following the Zone are essentially true; you do lose the cravings for most sweets."

Many people claim this to be true about Atkins, Zone, Paleo, Mercola or Sally Fallon type diets. I haven't noticed this in myself although I understand how insulin control might accomplish this. Perhaps it's only true for people who had insulin problems (and were fat as opposed to relatively thin) before changing their diets?
Old 10-25-2004, 01:59 PM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Paul,
Just looked at your profile and noted your in the UK. It's funny, but whe I spent 4 months in Cheltenham at college, I lost 20 lbs! (20 years ago) I think it had to do with walking 2 miles to class everyday and the fact that "English Cuisine" took some getting used to (bubble and squeak anyone?). I lived on pub lunches (quaffing pints of JC and Pils). Just thought I'd mention it. Lay off the Cadburry Flake bars!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I eat a lot of healthy fat. When other people would eat a candy bar, I eat an apple and peanut butter. Also, I have recently begun including beans in my meals. It keeps me from feeling 'low' all the time.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:56 AM   #8
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Thanks all, some of what NHE was mentioning seems to help... RF tried to suggest that it is important to get away from the psychological association between food and pleasure.... eat for performance, not for pleasure.... this works fine when motivated, but there are times when I just dont give a damn.... these very brief moments can cause a weeks worth of damage.... just go into self destruct!

Hi Ron, i hope you werent tortured too often with bubble and squeak... bloody awful stuff.... prefer a Scrumpy Jack and a bid bag of curry crisps myself

Just added 3 crossfit type routines to my weekly tri-training... the positive hormonal reaction is having great effects upon my sport
Old 10-26-2004, 06:14 AM   #9
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Eating is a large part of life, eating for pleasure is part of it. There are plenty of healthy things you can eat which taste good.

Maybe you should have something to fall back on when cravings hit? I know CRONies have plenty such strategies.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #10
Paul Kayley

Profile:
CRONies ??????