CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
Ross Barrett

Profile:
Re: New to Wendler and some questions

Hi guys,

ive been following the cffb programming and have noticed some good gains on back squat, bench and press but seem to struggle on dealift. I did get to a 5rm of 140kg but recently i have reset a couple of times to try and pass this, at present my 5rm is 130kg. The reason for this post is with the 5-3-1 programme you mention assistance work, im wondering what assistance work you complete for deads? Also is there a wendler excel spreadsheet anyone has including assistance available? or does anyone have one?

cheers
Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
Brian Androsian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Barrett View Post
Hi guys,

ive been following the cffb programming and have noticed some good gains on back squat, bench and press but seem to struggle on dealift. I did get to a 5rm of 140kg but recently i have reset a couple of times to try and pass this, at present my 5rm is 130kg. The reason for this post is with the 5-3-1 programme you mention assistance work, im wondering what assistance work you complete for deads? Also is there a wendler excel spreadsheet anyone has including assistance available? or does anyone have one?

cheers
http://www.strstd.com/ (wfs)
Put in your stats if you want, or just click over to the my 531 tab and scroll down. It has all Wendler's assistance programs. Look at the DL day for each option and see what suits you.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Good Mornings are a fave of Jim's but I guess you could also program eccentrics, rack pulls, or DL with straps besides Dynamic Effort Deadlifts (with chains/bands). I take it you are already doing double hook or mixed grip?

Kind of depends where is the weak portion of your Deadlift. Pulling it off the floor or lockout.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

I really have been liking one legged deadlifts for my past few 5-3-1 cycles. I have been trying a unilateral/dumbell (for the presses) variant of boring but big assistance work and have been making great gains.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

What weight do you use?

I've been trying to use a 60 for them and it can be awkward sometimes. I've read as the DB get heavier that it gets that way. Honestly, I've nearly read much about loading single leg deadlifts.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
What weight do you use?

I've been trying to use a 60 for them and it can be awkward sometimes. I've read as the DB get heavier that it gets that way. Honestly, I've nearly read much about loading single leg deadlifts.
Last deadlift work out was 95 for 7 reps then 85,80,75 (the last three all for 10 reps). I have been dropping down a set from 5 to 4 when doing unilateral stuff, just to reduce the overall time in the gym. I also like descending the weight on the assistance work in general as it seems it lets me move more total weight than picking a weight i can hit for 5 sets of 10.

It definitely took a while to get the balance down. I found that placing the weight in the opposite hand of the support leg helped me a lot. I started with a 55lb dumbbell, and once i got the balance down i started bumping the weight up in 5lb increments every time i hit 4 sets of 10.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #17
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

That's what I do but I still get some balancing issues while doing so.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
Aaron Herzog

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
That's what I do but I still get some balancing issues while doing so.
It took me a while to get the balance, and my right leg deadlifts are definitely more stable than my left leg. Left leg I usually have 1 or 2 extra reps due balance issue preventing a good rep.