CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:
Active Recovery Days

Wanted to start a thread here that basically gave some ideas or routines that you all do when you're taking a day off from the brutality of a typical CrossFit class/workout.

Since not everyone can be like Froning and consider active recovery as a 5k run, 30 muscle ups, and 225 pound snatches, I was hoping to see what others do for their recovery days. It'd also help spice up my off days a bit by getting some great ideas from everyone on here.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Michael White

Profile:
Re: Active Recovery Days

My days off are days OFF. I do some mobility work but other than that I just relax. Now that doesn't mean I st around all day and don't move, but I usually do not plan anything. Many times I will end up on a hike or playing a pick up game but it is all unplanned and therefore more relaxing for me. If nothing comes up that sounds good that day I usually end up in a pool with some good beer and good people around.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Sean Whitty

Profile:

IF I have an active recovery day, which usually by the time I take a recovery day I dont wanna do anything but rest, I'm usually doing skill work, or something monostructural.

Skill work: Highly technical movements, working transitions for MUs, hollow rocks, handstand skills, DUs, snatch pulls, etc, but not for high reps or in an actual workout. Usually just focusing on form and only for a short duration

Monostructural: Usually rowing/swimming. Some times I'll run, but again taking it at a MUCH slower/lighter pace than I normally would, just enough to get sweaty and get the HR up, not enough to be a true workout.

Other than that, it's just eating right, stretching, mobility and watching CF vids for me.

Cheers
Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I used to do nothing on off days, and thinking back feel it was wasted time. I think people are better off doing at the very least instead of totally off:

Mobility Work--MWOD, yoga
Some light dynamic work--either some light calinesthetics or sled work.
And maybe something easy on the body depending on your level of conditioning--at the very least a brisk walk, but if you are well conditioned some easy time on a bike or rower.
Preferably something outside.
Heck if some body part is bothering me I like to do some high rep exercises.

Doing stuff like this, I just feel better day in an day out.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

WOrk on oly lifting, hit weaknesses and sore body parts at high reps (NOT TO FAILURE), abs (I go hard on these).
Old 08-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I rarely take a full-fledged OFF day (Maybe once every 3-4 months or when I am feeling completely thrashed). For Active Recovery, I enjoy swimming lengths or rowing. I also will toss in some mobility work in there. Also just going out and tossing a football around or walking the dogs. Whatever it takes to keep loose and not tighten up.

-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

To note, I did nothing last Wednesday but I noticed that post WOD and the fact that Thursday was a workout day, that I was in a much better mood.

I associated rest day with do jack. No bueno. Yes, I was tired from a max DL (been a long time) and tabata HeSPU and goblet squats but I would have had a much more productive day if I got out and did something.

Thinking on this, come Sunday I'll probably go running around the neighborhood or over to the pullup bar and goof around.

Generally before on Wed, I would do HS and L work and ab work, maybe some pistols. Just another day to goof around. Gotta get back to that.

Definitely don't use the rest day as an excuse to do nothing day. Do something, anything.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
John C Corona

Profile:

1) Moblity!
2) Oly technique - BAR ONLY stuff. It does feel wierd to clean the bar only, but its about positions! 3 position pauses, footwork drills, full hip extension (making sure I am opening up before pulling under the bar), rarely full squatting (mostly power positions just to let legs rest like they need), jerk practice (speed under bar).

I noticed some row, some hit abs hard, and Robert said sled work <- beast! I do not. My core usually NEEDS rest, and rowing taxes my legs, no matter how much weight is on the sled, I cant imagine using that as a rest. But then again, I can light jog or swim and it feel great, and its not taxing like the other stuff. I like MU transitions as well, along with some double unders, but we're getting into more work, so I watch that.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
David A Hunt

Profile:

There's definitely a lot of good routines and suggestions for active rest. I think it's just tough to get as motivated for a routine that's not all out. I understand why, but I'm curious if others feel the same way or if you have ways to still gt motivated and excited for your active rest days.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Drew Nadeau

Profile:

My rest days look like this

Stretch
Rollout
Stretch
2k row
Stretch
1k row
Stetch roll out