CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Phil Griffin

Profile:
Re: Dropping the deadlift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
You also see weightlifters dump their last rep of a set of back squats for no good reason.
Ha, that reminds me of squatting last Saturday. My 5 year old was in the garage with me, and he LOVES it when I drop the weights. So as a bribe to get him to run the camera (so I can check my squat depth), I promised I'd drop the bar when I had completed my last lift. But of course he was watching me squat on the camera screen and so when I dropped it he didn't see it "for real". He begged me to do it again, but I'd just done my last GSLP set and had nothing left, so I just had him watch it over and over on the camera. So there is one reason to drop the weight - entertainment for the kids.

For the record, I rarely drop weights and agree with those who are against it, especially on deadlifts.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

I personally feel it's quite ******y when people try to tell others what to do with their training.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I don't drop a dead lift, even at max or training. It is part of the movement. How do you do reps dropping each time? No grip strength I guess. But still it is easy to get the weight to the ground. When it is max efforts it gets to the ground fast but controlled and no bounce.

In my opinion it is cheap.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Renner View Post
I personally feel it's quite ******y when people try to tell others what to do with their training.
It's not about telling people what to do with their program, it's about doing exercises correctly. There are set standards for conducting exercises as dictated by competitive organizations, ie the Olympic and power lifts. If you don't do them to standard then you are NOT DOING THEM CORRECTLY. Bottom line.

That being said, I don't care if your programming mixes Pilates, kung fu, and base jumping....you are free to train as you choose. But even those endeavors have standards for correct completion of maneuvers within those disciplines. If you just have a problem with things being labelled right or wrong you should probably find a commune somewhere where you can train....or join planet fitness. They have a totally sweet policy on not judging....and you won't have to worry at all about deadlifts there. Lol

Last edited by Eric Shuty : 08-06-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Doesn't really ****ing matter.

If the rules say do this, well then do that.

If you are focusing on the concentric part of the DL, then drop it.

I would almost argue that during some CF WOD's when the number of DL gets high or at a high load, just drop it to save yourself from the eccentric damage. It'll save some energy and time as well. Don't have to worry so much about an injury, especially when the DL volume hits the point that form is down to 90% or even 80-85%.

For general strength work like a work set of DL, I say lower it down. Whether this is 1, 3, or 5, 10rm. Whatever.

All depends on the purpose.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
It's not about telling people what to do with their program, it's about doing exercises correctly. There are set standards for conducting exercises as dictated by competitive organizations, ie the Olympic and power lifts. If you don't do them to standard then you are NOT DOING THEM CORRECTLY. Bottom line.

That being said, I don't care if your programming mixes Pilates, kung fu, and base jumping....you are free to train as you choose. But even those endeavors have standards for correct completion of maneuvers within those disciplines. If you just have a problem with things being labelled right or wrong you should probably find a commune somewhere where you can train....or join planet fitness. They have a totally sweet policy on not judging....and you won't have to worry at all about deadlifts there. Lol

Not arguing over whether dropping the weights is a correct lift or not. Just over how ******y it is when somebody spots somebody in a gym and tells them "you're not doing that right".
Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Clint Harris

Profile:

It's been 20+ years since I was in high-school so no longer care what others may think nor what they are doing.
That being said, there is an article in the journal from Date Tate who mentions dropping DL as something he does (but not in competition). Working the concentric part of the lift is more important and not doing the eccentric portion allows for some recovery. Even in a set of 5 lifts he, drops, then resets - again, because in competition you get 1 lift, so he trains the first lift only as the 2nd will always look different.
The decision to drop or not was also dependent on what type of plates, what type of flooring, what did you want to achieve and who you might **** off.
As with everything, I'm sure there's other literature to both support and counter this argument - maybe even from the same person, because opinions can change.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/07/...-a-la-tate.tpl >> Probably not WFS. Asides from the odd f-bomb, when is watching youtube and such considered work friendly ?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #18
Andrew Bell

Profile:

When you're repping 320+lbs duing a met con, and you're giving it all you got, and your back is killing you, sure I drop it from time to time. I'm going for fastest time, not concentric load.

If my grip has absolutly gave out on a 1RM deadlift, then sure it might slip out before I can lower it.

It happens, but I generally try to lower it.

Last edited by Andrew Bell : 08-06-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Friends don't let friends: Drop Deadlifts, Kip HSPU's, Bend Legs on Ring Dips, or Half Squat...

Those are my pet peeves, DO NOT get me wrong, there are reasons and purposes for all of the above (especially CF style competitions)...in the end, you get more out of each of these exercises performing them a certain way...you can't really deny that. Maybe there is a specific reason someone has for dropping the deadlift...I get that, I do it during conditioning workouts too.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #20
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Friends don't let friends: Drop Deadlifts, Kip HSPU's, Bend Legs on Ring Dips, or Half Squat...

Those are my pet peeves, DO NOT get me wrong, there are reasons and purposes for all of the above (especially CF style competitions)...in the end, you get more out of each of these exercises performing them a certain way...you can't really deny that. Maybe there is a specific reason someone has for dropping the deadlift...I get that, I do it during conditioning workouts too.
Shoot, I had no choice today