CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Protein Types..

As an aside, and not to hurt my own sales, but for those seeking improved recovery and performance protein supplements aren't the way to go. Allow me to explain. Protein supplements are simply a concentrated form of food. Unless they have additional ingredients they possess no magical properties that make them better than the quality protein found in some foods (meats, dairy etc.). If your diet is not deficient in protein, and that pretty much doesn't happen in the developed world unless one is a vegan or the like, protein supplements really only serve as supplements of convenience. For many, it is much easier and preferable to consume a shake after training or as a quick form of sustenance on the go.

One instance where protein supplements can be superior to whole foods is when one is on a hypo-caloric diet. In that case the protein supplement becomes essentially the lowest calorie form of quality protein one can ingest. That makes it an efficient food source which can be strategically used within the confines of one's daily diet.

If you want performance you should consider proven ergogenic supplements. The big 3 in that category are creatine monohydrate, Beta-Alanine, and caffeine. I cannot emphasize this enough. These supplements, especially the first two, can actually make a significant difference to your training.

There is more, but hopefully you get the idea.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
As an aside, and not to hurt my own sales, but for those seeking improved recovery and performance protein supplements aren't the way to go. Allow me to explain. Protein supplements are simply a concentrated form of food. Unless they have additional ingredients they possess no magical properties that make them better than the quality protein found in some foods (meats, dairy etc.). If your diet is not deficient in protein, and that pretty much doesn't happen in the developed world unless one is a vegan or the like, protein supplements really only serve as supplements of convenience. For many, it is much easier and preferable to consume a shake after training or as a quick form of sustenance on the go.

One instance where protein supplements can be superior to whole foods is when one is on a hypo-caloric diet. In that case the protein supplement becomes essentially the lowest calorie form of quality protein one can ingest. That makes it an efficient food source which can be strategically used within the confines of one's daily diet.

If you want performance you should consider proven ergogenic supplements. The big 3 in that category are creatine monohydrate, Beta-Alanine, and caffeine. I cannot emphasize this enough. These supplements, especially the first two, can actually make a significant difference to your training.

Your posts on this DB prompted me to try the Nitrean+ too. I just liked that you were typically forthright with your information and never gave me the impression of providing fluff.... even when it's not about powders. The post I quoted is a perfect example of what I am meaning IMHO.

Most protein or many other supplement types for that matter are always "recovery" and "increase bench press" or "increase muscle mass" and "jump higher for longer" and "pump this" and "vascular that" and whatever else claim. They all seemed to say the same thing or contradict each other. Just a world of confusion really. It seems like any claim can be made and they just need a little * next to the phrase to say it's not evaluated. Literally go to any website on this stuff and its all the same.
It's just like golf clubs .... every year you can get 10+ more yards by simply changing your grip and yet we're still all hitting the ball the same distance we were 5+ years ago. From my experience there, if you can talk to the source and hear why these claims are made and find a way through all the bull****, it's usually going to be a good product.
I've found the same thing happened here. With your site alone I may have glossed over nitrean+ and just kept taking the same old same old. But since you participated in here and I got a chance to read what you wrote, I gave it a go. Glad I did.

Dutch Chocolate is f'n delicious, I'm too scared to try it with milk ... that'd be exactly like a milkshake and I'd be liable to drink 2 or 3 a day.
I like getting that quick snack in after a workout that the powder provides me. If it makes me build muscle too, all the better, but I do treat it as a quick snack post workout so that I can delay eating real food until after I've cooled down and grabbed a shower. It also seems to help stabilize my appetite, because if I don't have one after workout, I'm absolutely ravenous 2 hours later. It tastes good and is easy on the stomach - almost refreshing - some powders made me feel a little down .. or even sick (real subtle, not like vomiting, more like sluggish from eating McDs)
I've tried some carbs in my post wod drink too ... but that just seems to make me fatter I have tried all sorts of different stuff, not fructose based, and have given up on it. This working out is fun to me, it's not a sport or the be-all end-all in my life, so if I haven't rebuilt my glycogen stores or whatever by tomorrow, who cares, I'll just move slower or will probably rest.

I tried creatine - monohydrate from ON - and I really didn't notice any difference so I stopped taking it. I have been trying Beta-Alinine recently (month or 2), just 3g pre-wod. It makes me tingle sometimes which I've read is normal, but the jury for me is still out on its benefit. It might work but I'd probably have to stop taking it to see. I did have a few Qs about it though - is it something I should be taking every day like creatine ? I'm not, only before workouts and also only 90% of time because the other 10% I forget to take it. Does it matter when you take it also ? Pre or Post or whenever. And lastly, when would we mostly see any benefit ? In a heavy 5x5 lift like BS, or during a metcon when we're gassed. I'm assuming in the latter scenario, running out of air could cloud the perceived results.

I also tried your BCAA in orange (again, delicious). I drank this pre-workout too but really wasn't sure when I should take it or what result I should be seeing. I did, however, put it in my water when I played golf - I swear it kept me going better ... perhaps the taste simply had me drinking more water, but I didn't get as hungry or fatigued either. This is walking in the 90-100* heat under competition too ... not drinking 10 beers, hotdog and hamburger at the turn, hacking it up from a golf cart that 98% of the people play. Under the competitive and heat situations, you can get pretty drained out there, like a marathon but with adrenalin and emotions ebbing and flowing like crazy. You can literally crash after you're done because you're holding yourself at a level for 4+ hours and when you're done, you're all of a sudden wasted. Would BCAAs actually help in this situation ? I was thinking that perhaps it kept some protein in me for my muscles and brain to continue using.
I can't say I noticed any difference in WODs ... but perhaps that just because of the time domain involved. I also don't even hear the music when I workout, but can hear butterflies landing 10 miles away when I play golf. So my attention to detail is a little different in the two different scenarios too.

NOTE: Don't like caffeine for golf, it can make a few holes too unpredictable, sometimes you're up more than other times and being buzzed isn't conducive ... but I've definitely felt the benefit taking pre-workout though.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Ingredients do matter and with cheaper proteins you're often not even getting what's on the label. On another forum a chemist had people send him samples of their protein for testing. Someone here with good Google-fu could easily find the study. While not extremely rigorous the results were compelling. The net result was that the BEST company had 90% of what they said they did and the Wal-mart protein had less than 50%. Neither AtLarge or Progenex were tested.

The only way to go super cheap is to adulterate unless someone discovers a magical manufacturing process. T
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Chris Mason

Profile:

Well, first, thanks! I am glad you like the products and flavors and I appreciate the kind words.

Ok, to your questions:

- Beta-Alanine needs to be taken daily - 7 days per week, not just training days etc. If not, you will not experience its full benefits which are primarily a modest amount of lean muscle gain, increased strength endurance, and increased ability to tolerate training volume.
- Take BCAA+ (or other BCAA supplements) about 40 minutes prior to training. What they can do is enhance protein synthesis and reduce breakdown thus providing for an increased likelihood of an anabolic state post-workout. In addition, they compete with tryptophan for entry to the brain. Tryptophan can be converted to serotonin which enhances feelings of fatigue, so BCAA competing with tryp can give the individual a sense of greater energy (this is one reason why people feel BCAA give them energy). You can also take it before bed if you don't eat anything within a few hours of said time.

As for creatine, a percentage of the population will not respond, or only mildly respond to it. One thing, did you take it every day?

Chris
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post

Excellent post, Chris. Myself and I'm sure many others here on this forum appreciate the straight talk. You stand out for your honesty (and you have great products) in an otherwise "mostly marketing hype" industry.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #16
Yandy Roman

Profile:

If you do a search dude there are a lot of threads talking about Progenex. There are no studies show that is better. Your conventional Protein shake at a local supplement store will do the trick.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Clint Harris

Profile:

Chris, thanks the info.
I'll start taking Beta-A 7 days a week and see what happens. I am no where near close to doing that now.
I did take Creatine 7 days ... or at least tried to do so ... but I just didn't notice any difference - except maybe some increased weight. It may have been what I was doing at the time too. I may try again later because the stuff is inexpensive.
I swear the BCAA+ helped me with fatigue on golf - even if it were perceived it's beneficial - I'm going to monitor this more closely.
Cheers
Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

I currently have on my fridge: Nitrean +(vanilla), Results and BCAA's. All of which are from AtLarge Nutrition (And I've bought these now, several times). I sincerely buy nothing else from any other supplement company, unless im looking for a product that At Large just simply doesnt sell. The company is built on quality product and its pretty freakin cool to be able to pick up the phone or write an email to them and get a response from the actual owner, Chris Mason. Not to mention the fact that the dude has consistently provided advice and counseling to people on this forum for $0 and with little expectation and/or demand to buy his stuff. Also, and this is purely my opinion and not based off of anything or anyone asides from my reading the Progenex label from freinds that do have it...the product seems to both suck and has half the servings of Nitrean + as well as costing more scratch.

- Nick

Last edited by Nicholas DaSilva : 08-15-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
Chris Mason

Profile:

Thanks Nicholas, Steve, and everyone else. I appreciate it. I really do.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
Chris, thanks the info.
I'll start taking Beta-A 7 days a week and see what happens. I am no where near close to doing that now.
I did take Creatine 7 days ... or at least tried to do so ... but I just didn't notice any difference - except maybe some increased weight. It may have been what I was doing at the time too. I may try again later because the stuff is inexpensive.
I swear the BCAA+ helped me with fatigue on golf - even if it were perceived it's beneficial - I'm going to monitor this more closely.
Cheers
Cool, let me know.