CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Omar Arguello

Profile:
Protein Types..

Hello all -

First time poster, have been reading this forum for a few months now since I started CrossFitting..

Looking for something new to try and wanted some advice.. Goals - would like to add on some lean muscle mass.. Looking to supplement diet with protein powder.. There are a ton of them out on the market.. Have sampled a few.. Have had decent results with one shake PWO and a casein shake before bed time. For a while I was taking Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey.. Switched to GNC's Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 (taking 1/2 the recommended dose - scoop and 1/2) because it was hydro protein..

Looking to switch things up a bit possibly.. My box just got Progenex and everyone there is now taking the stuff.. It is pretty pricey unfortunately and they have More Muscle and Recovery to choose from.. Have also been looking at At Large Nutrition's Nitrean+ because they are a blended protein along with Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex - also a blended protein..

Anyone have any experience with these and care to make suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks in advance..
Old 08-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Sam Sang Won Lee

Profile:
Re: Protein Types..

Hello...
Here is the thing with supplements.
I feel supplements are great.
However, when are you taking these supplements?
When I was exercising, I would eat carbs for energy and protein for muscle growth naturally. Meaning from real foods. When I got older, I realized no matter how much i ate well and exercised, my body didn't respond to the foods i was eating. this is where i realized i needed a boost. here is when i think supplements helped me get where i wanted.
Now for you, have you maximized your power output before resorting to additional sources of energy? Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Omar Arguello

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sang Won Lee View Post
Hello...
Here is the thing with supplements.
I feel supplements are great.
However, when are you taking these supplements?
When I was exercising, I would eat carbs for energy and protein for muscle growth naturally. Meaning from real foods. When I got older, I realized no matter how much i ate well and exercised, my body didn't respond to the foods i was eating. this is where i realized i needed a boost. here is when i think supplements helped me get where i wanted.
Now for you, have you maximized your power output before resorting to additional sources of energy? Hope this helps.
Diet is pretty good, not perfect by any means but decent.. Mainly using protein for muscle growth.. Supplementing because I dont have the time to spend eating protein in food sources - much easier to power down a shake after my workout than to rush home..

As far as energy sources go, not looking for a pre-workout or anything like that, just wanting to try new protein and looking for feedback from anyone that has tried these before..

Thanks for your feedback though..
Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Omar Arguello

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Rembert View Post
Hey there,

I used to be a Supplement Junkie. I took protein powders, bars between meals, pre-workout stuff, you name it.

Once I went 100% Paleo about 3 1/2 months ago, the only supps I take are multi-vitamin, fish oil, and Vitamin D. I personally think supplements are vastly over-rated. If you are consuming a quality diet of high fat, moderate protein, and quality carbohydrate from vegetables and occasional fruit, I don't think supplementation is necessary.

I know many folks disagree, but since I cut out the "Junk Calories" that fill the supplement products, I feel 100% better, have cut bodyfat, and my wallet is a little heavier.

http://www.jbprimal.com
Hello - I have tried pre-workouts, bars and creatine before and haven't had much success with any of those.. Cut those out completely.. As of now, I am using multi-vitamin, D3, and FishOil along with protein.. i agree though, no real reason to mess around with much more than that as long as the diet is in check which should be #1..

At this point just curious about the differences between blended protein vs straight whey.. and if anyone has had any experiences with the aforementioned products.. Looking to try new protein but sort of stuck on which to pick..

Thanks for the feedback
Old 08-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Yandy Roman

Profile:

Those Protein prices are outrageous. They are all the same stuff dont get sold on those marketing gimmiks that stress about how much better their products are. I usually buy the generic brands at vitamin shoppe or wherever and works perfect for me.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Joshua Desmond

Profile:

Progenex is great if you have disposable income or are a sponsored athlete...but for us mere mortals, just check out all the stuff from AtLarge Nutrition. Honestly if you are going to use supplements, you cannot go wrong with any of their supplements, and honestly I'd put their Nitrean+ up against any other protein out there. Chris Mason knows his stuff and is usually around to chime in on his products.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Omar Arguello

Profile:

Thanks everyone for chiming in.. Decided to go with Nitrean +. Finally received my protein yesterday. Let the testing begin..

Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandy Roman View Post
Those Protein prices are outrageous. They are all the same stuff dont get sold on those marketing gimmiks that stress about how much better their products are. I usually buy the generic brands at vitamin shoppe or wherever and works perfect for me.
I've explained this before. Your position is totally wrong.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Desmond View Post
Progenex is great if you have disposable income or are a sponsored athlete...but for us mere mortals, just check out all the stuff from AtLarge Nutrition. Honestly if you are going to use supplements, you cannot go wrong with any of their supplements, and honestly I'd put their Nitrean+ up against any other protein out there. Chris Mason knows his stuff and is usually around to chime in on his products.
Thank you .
Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Arguello View Post
Thanks everyone for chiming in.. Decided to go with Nitrean +. Finally received my protein yesterday. Let the testing begin..

Thanks
Awesome! Thanks!

For those on this forum don't forget to use the code CFF for 10% off your cart total.