CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #31
Phil Griffin

Profile:
Re: Is Vomiting Really Okay?

I've never puked from working out, not in CF or in high school football, basketball or baseball (haha) or mountain biking or racing motocross. I'd like to think that I've pushed myself to my maximum capacity, it was always my goal in high school to finish first in every conditioning workout. I guess there are two possibilities - 1) I'm not working as hard as I think or 2) Vomiting is not the way my body reacts to stress.

Not sure I really care which one it is. I guess I don't really care for the attitude that some pukers have - "man, I worked so hard I puked!" Not saying they didn't work hard, but puking does not mean you worked the hardest. It means you puked.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #32
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
For most people puking = drama. It's for attention and to prove that you're HARDCOREZ. I've puked twice during my life while exercising. Once was while I was sick, the other time was at Airborne School when they took us for a run right after dinner. Salisbury steak + running = barf.
How can you say its drama? The two times you've puked, you were wanting attention huh? I happen to disagree.

90% of the time I believe it has to do with stomach being full with something. You ate sals steak + running. I drank too much water pre-wod, and immediately afterwards hurled it all. I have witnessed people finish wods, be somewhat fine, then proceed to drink too much too soon, and whammo = hurl. Who in ***k would choose to puke for attention.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #33
Eric Shuty

Profile:

I find that puking is easiest if it is something important to you. This adds nerves to the equation. That's why I would routinely puke after the 4x400 relay in high school. It's why I just puled this week after an all out 300 for a fitness test I was taking. Adding caffeine to the mix doesn't help either....
Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #34
Sefton Hirsch

Profile:

I have puked after some very intense wods, but I feel that this is generally from what I had in my stomach. I generally workout in the morning and have come to the conclusion that I cannot put anything in my stomach but a little water before the WOD. I have tried half a banana and other things but it makes me feel very quesy.

Sprinits certainly bring this on, it's a great way to push yourself really hard. I found that some power movements like heavy powercleans can make me feel off. Burpees and box jumps have also made me feel a little uneasy.

Walking around after the hard effort can help, laying on my back makes my stomach feel worse or even on hands and knees is uncomfortable.

Try to really target the movements that might bring this on and what is in your stomach that might relate to this. Vomiting should not be a normal occurance but you might come across it when finding how hard you can push yourself.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #35
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You're right Erik. That's why I try to limit any caffeine or preworkouts containing caffeine before metcons. It's fine for Olympic Lifting and Strength days.

I noticed a much higher correlation of dry heaves and near puke when caffeine or a preworkout with caffeine was in my system.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #36
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
How can you say its drama? The two times you've puked, you were wanting attention huh? I happen to disagree.
The key phrase in my assertion is "for most people." If that's not you, cool. But if you regularly puke (like MANY CFers I know) then it's not a stomach issue. It's a drama issue. I listed the two times I've puked to show that I understand what it's like to puke and to provide two valid reasons for puking. Puking 2-3 times a week during CF is ALWAYS for attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
Who in ***k would choose to puke for attention.
Who would want to work out in booty shorts, knee high socks, and sports bras? Who would want to take pics of themselves doing handstands/overhead squats in various parts of the world and post these pics online? You underestimate what people will do for attention. Too many people didn't get near enough hugs from their parents growing up.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #37
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

How many people wear board shorts who don't surf? LOL. You forgot that one.

However, the knee high socks make a lot of sense with DL and Oly from the floor.

I will say, if you workout in a gym without AC, you'll find yourself peeling off clothes or wearing minimal attire fast. A wet clingy tshirt is a pain in the butt, especially if you have to get inverted.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #38
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
The key phrase in my assertion is "for most people." If that's not you, cool. But if you regularly puke (like MANY CFers I know) then it's not a stomach issue. It's a drama issue. I listed the two times I've puked to show that I understand what it's like to puke and to provide two valid reasons for puking. Puking 2-3 times a week during CF is ALWAYS for attention.

Who would want to work out in booty shorts, knee high socks, and sports bras? Who would want to take pics of themselves doing handstands/overhead squats in various parts of the world and post these pics online? You underestimate what people will do for attention. Too many people didn't get near enough hugs from their parents growing up.
Wow, I stand corrected, but only cause you have witnessed this happen often. The 2nd post in this thread, the guy mentioned his hockey team, and certain people puking regularly, but it wasnt the norm, it was the exception. That more in line with what I thought.

My statement "who the **** would do that" stems from how violent and painfull it is to puke, so it seems very masochistc to do that 'intentionally' even though it might be subconscious intention. I know my statements were pretty black n white, but I do not underestimate what some do for attention, it does get ridiculous. I've been asked to take pics/vids of people lifting, and I know they want it for facebook, and not for critique = just silly. But sometimes these people are right out of high school, young girls (and dudes) that havent grown up enough to realize their transparency. Half of Facebook's success shows how much attention people seek. Conversly, if I climb a damn pyramid, or am on top of the friggin world one day, I might be THAT GUY that does a hand stand and gets a pic, no other reason, than to just do it. Would I send it to CF, probably not, and no Im not on facebook....uh, so I guess Im not THAT GUY.

Wow, Im still surprised you see this happen often, as vomitting is very rare at our box, mostly noobs or those that didnt plan meals/drinks properly.