CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #21
Jonathan Renner

Profile:
Re: Is Vomiting Really Okay?

Puking builds character.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Carl N Cobb

Profile:

In the military I have seen guys puking running down the road.. The wont even stop, just hunch over to the side and let it go and not miss a stide..

Some people are just prone to puking when they are pushing themselve.. Me personally have never puked from a workout or anything of the sort, i have gotten light headed and FELT like i was gonna puke, just havent actually had it happen to me yet, knock on wood!!!

CJ
Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #23
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

For most people puking = drama. It's for attention and to prove that you're HARDCOREZ. I've puked twice during my life while exercising. Once was while I was sick, the other time was at Airborne School when they took us for a run right after dinner. Salisbury steak + running = barf.

I cannot help but think that puking is catabolic, if for no other reason that you've just lost your lunch and are now missing those nutrients that you ate earlier.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Renner View Post
Puking builds character.
It's also catabolic, so if keeping muscle means I lack "character" I'll choose muscle.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #25
Rob Poling Jr

Profile:

There are lots of reasons but if your constantly doing it there has to be a change in how you're exercising or eating. You just can't overexert yourself every workout like that not expect a health issue. Ate too much before hand or consumed too much water during your exercise or pushed the body to where your stomach was depleted of oxygen it will happen. Calling Ralph on the porcelain phone all the time is just going to damage your throat and when your spitting up blood it won't be so character building.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

^Exactly my point. Long term= no bueno.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #27
Jade Simpson

Profile:

Ive puked couple times, its not a regular thing, I am a super puker anyway and it has always been because I am guzzling whatever I am drinking at a frantic pace during a long metcon...

I think some people are a little more prone, I have played tons of sports in school and have puked at some point during every sport.

I dont even stop now, just hang my head outside the box and let it go
Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #28
Ewen Roth

Profile:

It happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tMxoSLWUfk (viewer discretion is advised)
Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #29
Daniela Jantzen

Profile:

Hello Jessica,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Salts View Post
The way I see it, if you're vomiting, your body is telling you to stop in the only way it can without permanent injury. Period.
I second that. Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Salts View Post
I came close to throwing up once and swore I'd never do it again.
May I ask on what kind of occasion that happened? What have you been doing at that time? How well were you prepared for that? Had you been eating or drinking anything in particular beforehand which might have added to that "situation"?

I have to admit, I am always amazed how many people accept vomitting as "normal".
Everyone admires the flexibilty, dedication and incredible coordination and strength of children and their way of moving. Yet, while kids are still quite natural born athletes, they also tend to accept their boundaries - and stop before they overdo it. Even in their toddler "years". Vomitting during activities in those times usually derive from too much junk food right before running around.

For some reason, adults tend to forget that and their respect for their own bodies. Always pushing the limits, always trying to go one step further than might be smart.....
And no, you won't feel the consequences the very next day. Or the day after. But constantly going over the top does cause damage in the long run. And let us be honest - being wasted in the senior years is no fun.
Though I am sure someone will come up with walker CF by then....

To make it short:
no, vomitting is not ok. But being overly afraid of it isn't, either.
I think you have received some very sound advice right from the get go (post #4). Concentrate on your positive achievements. And gradually try to improve those areas where you feel the need to.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #30
Michael Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I'd suggest always trying to do one more rep than you think you can.... The more you realize that you can stretch the boundaries a little bit and not die, the easier it will be to stretch more.
The amount of rest in between, increases the intensity of the following exercise. I do a lot of wind sprints. If I'm real tired before I start a sprint, then I run slower. More rest in between means I sprint faster.

The best way to learn to run faster is to run faster!