CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #21
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:
Re: Just joined the Army and need help.

i was 11B, and If i knew what I knew now I would do GSLP while doing the Frequency method. He has a program set up for running in his 2nd edition. You will get enough work on pushups and situps when you are in basic. I would build a base of strength now, because when you go downrange strength is essential. If you only train to the APFT you will typically only be good at the APFT. Which for your goals is a No-Go. Some good bench marks to hit prior to basic would be passing the APFT, passing the USMC CFT, and passing Operator Ugly.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #22
Kent Newland

Profile:

I'll add in a little more. To qualify, like a lot of other people who've weighed in, 13 years as an 11B, on my fourth combat tour.

As has already been pointed out, training for the APFT will get you ready for the APFT. Training for combat will get you ready for the APFT, basic, and combat. Shorter runs of 800ms or less, with a weekly 3-5 mile run will work wonders. Work some hill runs in there as well. Lift heavy weights to build overall strength. Pick an actual PROGRAM that will show you how to mix all of these things together, and stick with it. If you show up to basic training able to not only run, but breeze through any corrective training that the drills hand out, things are going to be easy for you. If you show up to your unit able to achieve at least a 270, you will make an excellent impression on your leadership.

Bottom line, pick an actual program, and follow it.

Kent
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Nate Mignot

Profile:

Kent what would you think would be a good program. Like I said. i want to be in the top 3. I'm going to be doing this for the long haul. At the level I'm at now i think i would be fine if i left today, but I don't think i could be the best if i left today. and James G. I want to be a range but as of now i have to still see the Doctor just having a hard time getting up there because, well I don't know why. The recruiting station where I am it is having a lot of changes done and stuff was lost i guess. so they are fixing that now.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #24
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Mignot View Post
Kent what would you think would be a good program. Like I said. i want to be in the top 3. I'm going to be doing this for the long haul. At the level I'm at now i think i would be fine if i left today, but I don't think i could be the best if i left today. and James G. I want to be a range but as of now i have to still see the Doctor just having a hard time getting up there because, well I don't know why. The recruiting station where I am it is having a lot of changes done and stuff was lost i guess. so they are fixing that now.
Honestly, I really don't know right now. I used to think CrossFit Football with some extra run days was fine, but now I really don't know. I'm having to re-examine some assumptions and things I thought I knew about fitness and training. I would suggest shopping around the affiliate websites, and find an affiliate program that will help you get to your goals. And there's nothing that says you can't add some more to whatever program you decide to follow.

Kent
Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
Nate Mignot

Profile:

Ok. Thank you. I'm sure i will get it done at some point before I go. I just really need to get my Food intake down right haha. 12hr shifts and people buying pizza make it hard to say no when its so easy to eat bad. But again thank you everyone for you help in input im a lot better off then i was 3weeks ago
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #26
James Goodin

Profile:

i am following Crossfit Football. my lower back has never felt better. as an 11B you need a strong lowerbody and core. wearing a plate carrier all day while moving over mountains is no joke. if you are decent at PT but can ruck and carry heavy **** like a beast then you will be fine. i look at overall performance not just the APFT.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #27
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

If I knew then what I know now...

Do Pavel's PTTP (press/deadlift). Run 3-5 times a week. Do lots of BW movements everyday (pushup/pullup/squats). Ruck once a week. Work your "core" hard. Don't eat crap.

If you do these things you'll develop a good, strong foundation. Best of luck and thank you for answering the call.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #28
Nate Mignot

Profile:

One more thing. My gym has these classes for free, should i take some of them just for the fact they are free? and mix them in with everything else im doing?

http://www.islandhealthfitness.com/group_programs.php
Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #29
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'd say take the yoga. Get flexible and chicks in yoga pants. If you find any of them fun, sure go for it.

But most of them are ****ing useless and you should be spending your time doing barbell or CF stuff or gymnastics. Except the yoga.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #30
Nate Mignot

Profile:

Ok thanks again everyone for all the help. and ill have to try the yoga out.