CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #21
Jade Simpson

Profile:
Re: The Richie Glanzer "Diet"

easy way to "cook" is to cook for the week. grill/bake all your meat on sundays then it's done
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
Richie Glanzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
All I see is a bunch of excuses form you Richie. You may not want to read that but that is the truth.

Clean up your diet, wake up earlier, learn to cook, read and learn more about food and nutrition, apply what you read and report back.
Doug, I appreciate your feedback and have cleaned up a large part of my diet since I posted this. My Sunday cheat day will never be great, but this week I ate a lot less than most Sundays. I also cut down the snacks during the week significantly. This post has helped. (I really didn't think my snacks were a big deal but I'm obviously wrong and appreciate the heads ups)

But I'm not making excuses. I get home at 12:30 a.m. I need my sleep and cant wake up at 4 to eat so I can be digested by 9. I also know if I cut out all bad foods, I will eventually end up going back and cut out all good foods. So I have to do a diet that works for me. I admire people that never have eaten a Twinkee, but I'm not that guy.

But I can still get in much better shape, and I have been. But some of these tips will definitely help.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
Richie Glanzer

Profile:
Re: Thanks for some really good tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I would try to not take it so personally. Sometimes folks are more crass on the internet. I hope you didn't take offense to my post. I was mentioning that I too have things I like. Try to remove those things one at a time for a month or two and see how it impacts you.
Bill, not sure if you saw my PM, but you were not the "dick" I was referring to. I just didn't see the helpfulness in you're fat you eat too much, when others have said I eat too little. You and Doug and others gave some good "tough" love.

I also need to learn how to drink more water. I guess I have to force it since I'm not normally thirsty.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #24
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Thanks for some really good tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Glanzer View Post
Bill, not sure if you saw my PM, but you were not the "dick" I was referring to. I just didn't see the helpfulness in you're fat you eat too much, when others have said I eat too little. You and Doug and others gave some good "tough" love.
Although it is undoubtedly true given that you make some poor food choices on at least three days per week I didn't say "you're fat you eat too much", I said "you're fat, eating more will not make you less fat. I said this not to be a "dick" as you put it but to make it clear that you will not achieve your weight loss goals by following the misguided advice of those telling you to eat more.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
Dave Henzel

Profile:

Quote:
I wake up at 7:14 do crossfit at 9 so all I could eat is an apple before crossfit.
Quote:
I get home at 12:30 a.m. I need my sleep and cant wake up at 4 to eat so I can be digested by 9.
You're probably not getting enough sleep. If you're working out quite a bit, you probably need at least 8 hours. But everyone is different. I know if I get less than that it wrecks me.

Quote:
I cant eat before anything athletic. I once had a powerbar before a WOD and almost puked.
A powerbar isn't really breakfast. I get up at 5am and workout at 6. I typically have two hard boiled eggs when I wake up and a good sized post workout breakfast. I've never felt like I was going to puke. Naturally everyone is different, but I would look into this a little more if I were you. Try eating something other than a powerbar before you cannot do it. Intensity is another factor in puking during a workout and just realize that some days will be more intense than others. And really, is puking the worst thing ever? (Some boxes have puke-bins or outdoor spaces where this happens a lot.)

Quote:
I also know if I cut out all bad foods, I will eventually end up going back and cut out all good foods. So I have to do a diet that works for me. I admire people that never have eaten a Twinkee, but I'm not that guy.
You're right....if you keep saying this, you probably will. <sigh>

I feel like this mentality is extremely prevalent by people resisting the transition to healthier food choices. I'm Paleo and prior to that I was the biggest lover of bread and beer. I haven't had bread in over 7 weeks, and I've had maybe 4 beers in that same amount of time (I'd usually have 2 a night). And I don't miss it or crave it at all.

I feel like in the beginning, our minds kind of play tricks on us. For me, it was as if my mind was trying to justify all the foods that I wanted (oh, I can have just one beer) and playing tricks on me with working out (missing one workout isn't that big of a deal). It's a mental workout as much as a physical workout. You're losing the mental part.

Quote:
But I'm not making excuses.
With all due respect, you are. Try strict Paleo for 30 days (Mark Sisson's 30 Day Challenge) and then make adjustments after that.

The one thing I think about every day is Sisson's 80/20 rule. If you try for 100% and you only make it to 80%, don't beat yourself up. But if you're only trying for 80% you'll probably only get to 60%. And at 60% you're not doing yourself any favors.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #26
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
I admire people that never have eaten a Twinkee, but I'm not that guy.
I can 100% guarantee you that I've have in my life eaten more crap food than you can possible imagine. I speak from experience. I have been to the dark side.....trust me.

Find what works for you. But, don't tell me you cannot 100% dedicate yourself to something because you might go back to your old ways. That is an excuse. If you never dedicate yourself 100% to something how do you know it wont work for you?

How can you say you'll go back to eating crap if you haven't ever tried go all the way clean?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
Richie Glanzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
I can 100% guarantee you that I've have in my life eaten more crap food than you can possible imagine. I speak from experience. I have been to the dark side.....trust me.

Find what works for you. But, don't tell me you cannot 100% dedicate yourself to something because you might go back to your old ways. That is an excuse. If you never dedicate yourself 100% to something how do you know it wont work for you?

How can you say you'll go back to eating crap if you haven't ever tried go all the way clean?
I really appreciate this thread and it has helped. I eat more veggies instead of corn, and my co-worker bought almonds for me and I found out I really like almonds so that's a much healthier snack.

I understand a lot of you think these are excuses but I really have dropped a lot of fat and gained a lot of muscle in three months. So though I don't agree with everything, there was plenty that I did and listened to the advice.

I still know my mind/body better than anyone, and the last two diets I was too strict and that's why I feel I eventually stopped. So I'm not going to totally go strict healthy 100% of the time, but its better than it was before this thread.