CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: The Richie Glanzer "Diet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Glanzer View Post
Hey guys, so I'm around 5'9 205 pounds. I've lost some weight since April 20 when I started. I went from a size 38 (almost size 40) to an in between size 36/38. (Tight at 36 pants falling down at 38). I'd love to get to a size 34 and look great but I cant really go crazy with a diet bc I'll just revert. This is what I eat/drink. I do crossfit 5 times a week typically.

Just curious what you think? Keep in mind I only grill bc I'm a horrible cook and don't like to take time out of my day for cooking outside of doing it on the grill.

Morning:
A little water and an apple before I go to crossfit. (This I cant change bc I cant eat more than that before crossfit) Get up earlier.

Lunch:
Typically some white rice (Cut out the rice and replace it with a salad or sweet potato) with corn/peas (in the frozen veg isle)
A leg 1/4 of a chicken you buy at a supermarket.
power bar. (no power bar)
water

Dinner
some sort of frozen veggies (though often its more corn)
two pork chops
water

Snacks
Big bowl of fruit (grapes, melon, pineapple)
***some unhealthy snack like ice cream, pound cake etc. I do this 2-3 times a week*** (Remove this too)

Sundays:
Whatever I want and it usually involves soda/beer/pasta/pizza/cupcake. (remove this)
you don't need to 'go crazy' with your diet. Just cut out the above stuff and replace it with fresh, great tasting food. Trust me, once you start eating healthier, you will find that high quality and healthy foods can taste better than a slice of pizza. Do you best to stick to lots of veggies, meat, and fresh foods. Hit maybe one or two cheat meals per week (I would recommend against a whole day.) I understand it is tough, but if you want to do it, then do it.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:

I don't think we have enough info to say it's too little food. Without a more detailed and comprehensive record it's tough to say.

I do agree with the recommendations about better food. You have junk in there and don't seem to be too motivated to get rid of it. Your sunday reads like a cheat day, but your diet the rest of the week is not nearly strict enough to warrant that. Most people that do cheat days of pizza/ice cream, etc strictly control type, quantity, or frequency of eating the rest of the week.

So, get serious. Stop eating crap during the week (maybe have one cheat meal during the weekend), eat more vegetables, and stop thinking corn is a vegetable (it can be pounded into a tortilla. It's a grain). And, as stated earlier, learn to cook. Based on my own experience and the experience of others I like paleo stuff for reducing calories because it's typically quite filling, has lots of vegetables and protein and if you find good recipes it is also delicious. Not the only way to go, but a good one.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I usually don't give advise but just for a change, I would say this, trying to be brief and simple:

1. No need to eat before your workouts, dont change your lifestyle and get up earlier, keep doing what you're doing in that regard.

2. Eat less corn and try a wider variety of veggies.

3. Your "unhealthy snacks 2-3x/week", replace them with more fruits, or perhaps a coupleof ounces of nuts/seeds which I dont see mentioned anywhere (and are handy as "snacks" since they're portable and no cooking is required). At the very most, have that unlealthy snack 1x/week tops.

4. Your "cheat sunday" can kill your efforts on the remaining 6 days of the week. I would suggest, if you really can't control yourself, at the very minimun to reduce it to a "cheat meal", and not a whole "cheat day". For instance, eat very healthy up until dinner where you have your pizza and beer. (Edit: the reason I suggest dinner as the cheat meal, is because if you begin the day wrong, there is a tendency to also keep wrong... thinking "I'll just continue eating healthy tomorrow"... many fall victim to this).

Just my two cents.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

corn and peas are not veggies. it appears you aren't getting anywhere near enough protein. you probably aren't getting nearly enough calores from the basic daily diet you listed (which is why you can still lose weight and inches even though you have so many junk food cheats). however, doing it this way will only produce short term results. and you will lose alot of muscle and wind up unhealthy, weighing less, being weaker, and looking basically the same in terms of defintion and body fat while just being smaller. learn about proper nutrition, get a proven diet, get some self control and discipline, and then make progress, if progress is your goal. only you can decide your goals and only can decide if it's worth it.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #15
Nicolas Michaud

Profile:

@ Richie Glanzer

I'd say your diet currently isn't the best but it has potential. You could slightly modify things to get better results:

Switch the pork chops for chicken breast or fish

Buy peanuts or cashews or something for a snack [roasted unsalted cashews and pistachos are awesome IMO]

Breakfast, I am in a job where daily workouts are normal, if you can get up earlier and have breakfast sooner and have more time to dgest before you work out you could have a larger better breakfast. Also if that's not an option try having cereal with oats and other grains in it, easier to keep a settled stomach on a high fiber breakfast and it's great energy food. A good, or at least better, breakfast will boost your metabolism and help with cutting body fat.

May want to swap corn for a healthier veggie: carrots, peas, tomato [yes i know it's a fruit].

The cooking thing is an issue, but i wont nag you on that, a lot of veggies don't require much prep, cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, sugar snap peas.

Corn isn't high in nutrients so better veg is a good idea. I would say avoid starches altogether].

The late night snacking could be hampering progress, eating too soon before sleeping leads to fat creation. Also small steps help, cut back bit by bit on your snacks and weekend treat day [also known as awesome day].

Just a couple ideas how it helps
Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

You have to man up and drop the sweets for awhile. There are times where I gear up for a couple weeks of heavy lifting and to make progress I know I have to drop beer from my diet. I did an 8 week period of no beer and as a result, my lifts improved. You are going to have to make the decision yourself as to if you want that food or to lose weight more effectively. I am not going to hound your other food choices much but consider going to pork loin instead of chops if you are going to grill. Fish would also be good. Try replacing some of the fruits with leafy greens and vegetables as they are less dense in calories. Accept you will feel sluggish most likely for a period while you work out. You may stall a bit too. I am inclined to think though, when you are much lighter, that you start to feel better. Keep a food journal online an be honest about quantities. It isn't the best, but it will give you a better ballpark than guessing if you are eating enough.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
Richie Glanzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas View Post
I agree with the "Not enough food" idea. I'm at 200 and I eat considerably more. However, the big thing I see is that you eat basically nothing in the morning till lunch. An apple has all of 90 calories. And it doesn't stick with you. No Post workout meal/shake? As I understand it, your time to eat the most is postworkout. You could do like me and make up a big thing of scrambled eggs (through in whatever you like, I put a lot of spinach in mine) and bacon on Sunday. Then I just divi it up and eat that throughout the week post workout. That will greatly help recovery and give your body the fuel it requires to attack the day.

Just my .02 cents

This was the most helpful. I wake up at 7:14 do crossfit at 9 so all I could eat is an apple before crossfit. I cant eat before anything athletic. I once had a powerbar before a WOD and almost puked.

But I think I need to eat something immediately after crossfit. I don't feel hungry but I'll have to do something there.

This was helpful.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
Richie Glanzer

Profile:
Thanks for some really good tips

I do appreciate most of the replies here. (one was just dickish mean...I didn't mind the other tough love)

I just threw out the Ritz crackers while reading this. I definitely will cut down quite considerably the corn, Mon-Sat snacks. As for Sunday, I have been in a no beer competition that I hope to last til mid-August. I will cut down on the crazy Sunday as well.

But honestly, I know I will never have the rip-roaring abs. I do need to have fun and beer is fun for me. As is some bad foods.

CF has definitely helped so far. Everday I used to eat horribly with no workout. So now that I've reduced that by a ton and workout 5-6 days a week I have seen gigantic improvements. But I get everyone's point and will be better...though not as close to perfect as many of my fellow crossfitters.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Thanks for some really good tips

I would try to not take it so personally. Sometimes folks are more crass on the internet. I hope you didn't take offense to my post. I was mentioning that I too have things I like. Try to remove those things one at a time for a month or two and see how it impacts you.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #20
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

All I see is a bunch of excuses form you Richie. You may not want to read that but that is the truth.

Clean up your diet, wake up earlier, learn to cook, read and learn more about food and nutrition, apply what you read and report back.