CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
Eric Shuty

Profile:
Re: Why can't i get stonger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
If you read again Chris , I wasn't suggesting doing Metcons after every strength workout. I said a maximum of 2 days a week. And, for me my strength gains are good. I'm happy that I've added quite a bit of muscle and some strength without gaining fat at all. Not everyone wants to get big and fat along with their strength gains, Chris . You could probably stand to add in a little conditioning. My advice is perfectly suited for someone willing to take Strength gains slow to add quality muscle, not fat. Your advice is fine as well, if someone would like to be strong but completely sacrifice aesthetics.

Besides I'm a professional fighter. So I train for my sport 5 days a week, in addition to strength training. I don't do Metcons
Just because you stop doing WODs and only focus on strength doesn't mean you will instantly get fat. He could tire flips, sled drags, prowler pushes, etc. In case you haven't noticed, there are plenty of lean power lifters who have never done a WOD in their life and are much stronger than most crossfitters will ever be.

Now, I believe the op title was "why can't I get stronger".....
So Im a little confused as to why a lot of people are recommending doing WODs at all. If I wanted improve my football skills I would do football practice and drills. I wouldn't do football and play pick up basketball and swim laps. Get it?

Why not do a 12 week pure strength cycle with power lifts?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Bob Herald

Profile:

I agree
Old 06-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
If you read again Chris , I wasn't suggesting doing Metcons after every strength workout. I said a maximum of 2 days a week. And, for me my strength gains are good. I'm happy that I've added quite a bit of muscle and some strength without gaining fat at all. Not everyone wants to get big and fat along with their strength gains, Chris . You could probably stand to add in a little conditioning. My advice is perfectly suited for someone willing to take Strength gains slow to add quality muscle, not fat. Your advice is fine as well, if someone would like to be strong but completely sacrifice aesthetics.

Besides I'm a professional fighter. So I train for my sport 5 days a week, in addition to strength training. I don't do Metcons
I train for my goal, as should you. If I wanted to do something other than get as absolutely strong as possible I suppose I would do more conditioning. As for my level of conditioning, while not great by ANY stretch, it might surprise you. I beat an ultra-marathoner in a pulling a light sled (sled + 45 lbs) for about 1/4 mile for time... That said, my conditioning at my body weight is not great to be sure.

If you are a fighter and added 18 lbs of body weight and only increased your lifts as stated I am concerned you added a bit too much body fat. Then again, who knows? Right?

Where do you fight professionally? What kind of fighting do you do?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
Charles Dunfee

Profile:

Diet has been touched on a couple times, but doesn't seem to be emphasized enough, or maybe I missed something along the way. Look into Zone Diet or a zone/paleo hybrid diet. If you are not on a specific type of diet try paleo, easier of the two in my opinion, no measuring or counting. I had big performance gains in the first week of paleo. The timing of when you eat relative to your workouts may be a factor also, if you workout straight after work, chances are the last time you ate is lunch, 5+ hours ago, at that point nothing left in the tank. If carbs are your main fuel, you definitely have no available fuel source left to fuel your workout.

I am no expert by any means, but it's definitely something to think about
Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #25
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dunfee View Post
I had big performance gains in the first week of paleo.
That's great! How were you doing a month later? Many people on strict paleo diets find that they have trouble getting enough food to support intensive training.

Katherine
Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
Michael Dowling

Profile:

I'm not all that strong so take this with a grain of salt, but for me it's about eating a lot more than you think you need to, track your calories. I was losing some weight when I first started 531, I thought I was eating 2200-2400 calories a day, I tracked them for a week and I was averaging 1200 calories a day, no wonder I was exhausted, I dropped 30 lbs quickly though.

I need to eat about 4000 calories a day to see my lifts move north. Eat a good amount more and stick to a strength program and don't change programs every 6 weeks and you'll see results, maybe not as much as the next guy but you'll see your lifts move north. Personally I would avoid paleo if eating for strength gains.

If you need to do some conditioning stick to twice a week and keep it short (under 10 minutes), kettlebells for reps, hill sprints, push a prowler.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #27
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Lack of progress is usually due to one of three things:

* Bad form -- Post video
* Bad programming -- Outlaw is good. Don't try to outthink them.
* Bad or inadequate diet and recovery -- Eat more, sleep more, stretch more.

Or all of the above.

Katherine
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #28
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

it sounds like your actual goal is not to get stronger but to compete at crossfit, and that you are just frustrated that in your opinion your strength is the thing holding you back from competing in crossfit? is that right? you also state that you just started following a new program, which happens to be a program designed for people that want to be competitive at crossfit. my advice would be to contact Rudy, either by email, message board, or calling him to set up a private consult / coaching. ask him if he thinks you are strong enough or if you would be better served doing strength only for a few months. you have already missed the competitive season this year, so you might as well take a while and do strength work and then jump back into outlaw in plenty of time to be ready for next year's open. you could even get some feedback via video on your form and such to help work out any issues there. or, the other option is just to follow the outlaw programming and see if your strength improves at the rate you want after 6 months or so. if not, you can always do one of the proven strength programs at that time.

the one thing that is for sure is that your current strength numbers are not close to competitive. look at the regional workouts this year and the weights used. the only question is if following purely outlaw will get you there, and is it the fastest method to get you there? there is no way to know for sure without doing it and then finding out in six months, but the down side to that is you could waste six months. in my opinion, you would be better served to just stop outlaw for a while and do a dedicated strength program for a while. get really strong. i don't think there is any doubt that outlaw is great programming and there is no doubt it will slowly get you stronger, but i don't think it will be the fastest method to get your stronger. so follow a pure strength program for a while, drop the metcons, eat like crazy, and get your strength numbers up to speed. then you can switch back over to outlaw
Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #29
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
Just because you stop doing WODs and only focus on strength doesn't mean you will instantly get fat. He could tire flips, sled drags, prowler pushes, etc. In case you haven't noticed, there are plenty of lean power lifters who have never done a WOD in their life and are much stronger than most crossfitters will ever be.

So Im a little confused as to why a lot of people are recommending doing WODs at all. If I wanted improve my football skills I would do football practice and drills. I wouldn't do football and play pick up basketball and swim laps. Get it?

Why not do a 12 week pure strength cycle with power lifts?
Because he wants to compete in a CF competition.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #30
Sandon Viers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
So Im a little confused as to why a lot of people are recommending doing WODs at all.
This...
3 years of CF and your numbers are still low. Focus on strength until you get to the level you feel you need to be. No one gets to a 400lb Front squat by doing Fran over and over. There are tons of programs out there, pick one, stick with it, and lay off the WODs.