CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Why can't i get stonger!

"Just some front squats or a 1x20 back squat"? Those are about as far from insignificant things as you can get.

If Outlaw doesn't have heavy squats today, I'd say there's a very good chance you'll see some tomorrow or the next day. Again, I highly recommend you don't go adding stuff to a program that's already proved itself pretty effective for getting people stronger and more conditioned.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
"Just some front squats or a 1x20 back squat"? Those are about as far from insignificant things as you can get.

If Outlaw doesn't have heavy squats today, I'd say there's a very good chance you'll see some tomorrow or the next day. Again, I highly recommend you don't go adding stuff to a program that's already proved itself pretty effective for getting people stronger and more conditioned.
Listen to what Eric is saying and if you don't want to listen to him

Read This (not WFS, language)

Specifically scroll down to the 3rd post in the comments from "outlawcoach" and read that.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Ben Orga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

Agree. The mistake I make on Outlaw is when I add something on a rest day or work day and am beat for the next training day. DO NOT add anything to Outlaws programming. Coach Rudy is an evil genius at making you feel like you are missing something, so you overcompensate and then the next day you have heavy back squats. Let Rudys programming do its work and you will be happy. In the last 1 1/2 months I have added 30lbs to my DL and BS and 10lbs to my CJ, 30 to my front squat and 25 to my snatch.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
Michael Dowling

Profile:

You probably just need to eat a bit more and strength train more consistently.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Well, I might know a thing or two about training and getting strong...

Nutshell... Train specifically for your goal. You know you are weak and that is holding back your CF. Cut waayyyyyyy back on your CF WODs (I would go with 2 per week on off days) and focus on a strength program for at least 3-4 months. Forget eating Paleo if you really want to get strong. If you are 5'11" and 170 lbs you are not eating enough...

I, of course, recommend Westside for your strength training, but if you are not comfortable with that check out this free PDF:

WFS - http://www.wannabebig.com/hct12/hct-12.pdf

I paid a very good trainer a lot of money to design that for my site. It is an excellent program and pretty simple to use.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quit doing crossfit. Do a pure strength program. Eat a lot. Especially protein.

Like Dan John says it's simple, not easy....
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Bob Herald

Profile:

It's simple. You have to make strength a priority. Do strength first. Get on a good program. I like 531. Then follow it with a light metcon ( less than 15 min) a few days a week. And eat like you mean it. Red meat , eggs, rice, and oats. Done.

I started doing this and I went from 195 lbs. with these numbers

Bench 250
Squat 276
Dead 305
Press 129

Now, roughly a year later I weigh 213 and these are my numbers

Bench 285
Squat 332
Dead 360
Press 175
Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
It's simple. You have to make strength a priority. Do strength first. Get on a good program. I like 531. Then follow it with a light metcon ( less than 15 min) a few days a week. And eat like you mean it. Red meat , eggs, rice, and oats. Done.

I started doing this and I went from 195 lbs. with these numbers

Bench 250
Squat 276
Dead 305
Press 129

Now, roughly a year later I weigh 213 and these are my numbers

Bench 285
Squat 332
Dead 360
Press 175
Well, actually, I don't think your advice is sound. Doing a met-con after every strength session is NOT optimal and that is evidenced by your relatively poor strength gains (considering where you started) over the year's period and 18 lbs of body weight later.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
Bob Herald

Profile:

If you read again Chris , I wasn't suggesting doing Metcons after every strength workout. I said a maximum of 2 days a week. And, for me my strength gains are good. I'm happy that I've added quite a bit of muscle and some strength without gaining fat at all. Not everyone wants to get big and fat along with their strength gains, Chris . You could probably stand to add in a little conditioning. My advice is perfectly suited for someone willing to take Strength gains slow to add quality muscle, not fat. Your advice is fine as well, if someone would like to be strong but completely sacrifice aesthetics.

Besides I'm a professional fighter. So I train for my sport 5 days a week, in addition to strength training. I don't do Metcons

Last edited by Bob Herald : 06-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
Graeme Moore

Profile: