CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Anthony Giurato

Profile:
Best replacement(s) for bench press

What are good replacements for bench press?

Most strength templates include 2 pushing movements: press and bench press. I work out at home and have access to quite a bit of equipment, but not a bench. I already press once a week and am wondering what I should do for my second pushing movement. Some possibilities I can think of are:
  • Press (twice a week)
  • Push press
  • (Weighted) ring dips
  • Push-ups
Since the next questions on these boards are typically "what are your goals" and/or "what are you doing now", here's that info.

My current goals are to increase strength, remain healthy, and maintain a level of general fitness/conditioning.

My wife and I both work and we have a 16 month old, so having long, predictable time for working out is tough. Right now my workout schedule is to do 2 main lifts twice a week, rest the day before, and see what I can do the other days. Right now it looks like:

Mon) *Secondary lift, *metcon
Tue) Rest
Wed) LB Squat 3x5, ring dip (3x5 or 3 sets with bodyweight), *metcon
Thu) *Secondary lift, *metcon
Fri) Rest
Sat) LB Squat 3x5, press 3x5, *metcon
Sun) *Secondary lift, *metcon

*These items are optional and based on the amount of time and energy I have. If I'm worn out or I need to watch the kiddo, I'll cut short or cut out these workouts.

My "Secondary lifts" are typically RDL, strict (weighted) pull-ups, or deadlifts, but they can be any auxiliary lift I feel I should work on. My main lifts (squat and press) are being done in a typical linear progression of a little more weight each time.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Best replacement(s) for bench press

My favorite substitute in the absence of a suitable bench is weighted dips. Not ring dips though. Not saying ring dips are bad. I think you should do both. You can just load bar dips a lot heavier, which is important to me if I'm trying to sub for bench.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Dana Rice

Profile:

unfortunetly there aren't many adequate subs for the bench press.

You just can't get the same level of intensity with dips or pushups. Do you have a rack? If so, you can usually find benches pretty cheap on craigslist.

Also - why don't you include deadlifts as a regular part of your strenght program?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Walter Augustine

Profile:

I think your possibilities listed have answered your question already.

Your exercises are fine, I think but you could add in a floor press if you really wanted.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
You can just load bar dips a lot heavier, which is important to me if I'm trying to sub for bench.
Unfortunately, no dip station. In fact, no pull-up bar even. Just a pair of PVC rings since they are multifunctional. I like the idea, but it requires more equipment than I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
You just can't get the same level of intensity with dips or pushups. Do you have a rack? If so, you can usually find benches pretty cheap on craigslist.
No rack, just the typical "CrossFit paint bucket squat stands". When my wife and I move in the next year or so, I plan on adding a rack and bench. Until then, I'm going to try to not add any more large equipment for us to store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Also - why don't you include deadlifts as a regular part of your strenght program?
I wanted a program I could reliably follow, so I picked 2 days and 2 exercises on each. Why not 3 exercises? Because 2 takes less time. There are many days where my wife says that I've got 40 minutes to get my workout done, including warming up.

I could have squatted one day and deadlifted the other, but my assumption was that I'd benefit more from low bar squatting twice a week than one squat and one deadlift. That assumption may be false, and if so I could change it.

I've tweaked my back many times, and RDL's seem much safer for me. If I can't even guarantee deadlifting one day a week, I'm going to hold off making it a primary exercise for now. And no, this isn't me saying deadlifting is unsafe or a bad exercise. Deadlifting heavy, just like squatting and pressing heavy, is something that should be taken seriously. When I have the time to give deadlifting the focus it needs, I'll add it back in. Based on my schedule above, I'd probably add it in on Sundays.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Floor Press???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw48p...e_gdata_player (WFS)

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 05-16-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

You can try weighted push ups, plate on your back, youll need help doing this though. Floor press is by far one of my favorite assistance lift to help my overhead, better then bench in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Ever heard of a thing called craigslist? As you know, benches and curls are the worlds most popular exercises. Somewhere near you there is one for sale for dirt cheap...possibly at a garage sale. If you gathered other things for a home gym you can get a bench. You can even build one from wood that will hold a ton of weight....I did. I also used a cheap crappy bench in Iraq to bench 400lbs at a body weight of 250....so really the bench was supporting a solid 650 and it looked like one of those 70s home benches with the rack on either side of your head. Quit thinking about what to do instead of bench and start thinking about how you will bench....
Old 05-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Searched Craigslist for "bench press" for your area listed on your profile. There's an olympic bench for 75 bucks along with a million other options....

Merry Christmas and bench away

Last edited by Eric Shuty : 05-16-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
Searched Craigslist for "bench press" for your area listed on your profile. There's an olympic bench for 75 bucks along with a million other options....

Merry Christmas and bench away
Thanks, but I'm not looking to get a bench right now. I've had an RSS feed for a year or two now that searches my area of Craigslist for anything that contains "bench", "rack", "sand bag", "bumper", "erg", and more. So I can see what goes through there.

As I said in my second post, when my wife and I move in a year or so I'd love to get a bench and and squat rack. Until then I'd like to make due with what I've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
You can try weighted push ups, plate on your back, youll need help doing this though. Floor press is by far one of my favorite assistance lift to help my overhead, better then bench in my opinion.
I've done the weighted push-ups and I'm not a huge fan for consistent strength work. Like you said, it requires someone to load up the weight. That person would be my wife, who would probably be somewhere else watching our 16 month old while I'm lifting. Logistically, it sound bad.

I've never done floor press. Whenever I've heard others talk about it, they talk about it as accessory work. I imagine floor press being to bench what half squats are to squats. Is floor press good on it's own being a main lift?