CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #21
Cecilia Garrec

Profile:
Re: Going Paleo, or Zone, or Zoned Paleo ... Help

Hmmm, doesn't frame size contribute anything here ? I'm a small frame- that is my wrists and ankles are very little in diameter. I think that in order to compare logically, this needs to be taken into account. But, I am just starting this process, so I'm still learning....
Old 05-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #22
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

A small frame doesn't change the fact that you're already very light for your height. And having a small frame means you're at higher risk for osteoporosis later in life...trying to get skinnier isn't going to help you there.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #23
Stephanie Olah

Profile:

Quote:
A small frame doesn't change the fact that you're already very light for your height. And having a small frame means you're at higher risk for osteoporosis later in life...trying to get skinnier isn't going to help you there.
i actually agree here...

i have very small wrists and ankles and I'm 5'4 and 134 lb.... i don't look fat at all, i DO have stomach fat and thighs like most womenbut adding muscle will help more than anything. I look better at 130lb than I did at 120 because I've added muscle. I need to lose about 10lb to lose the last chub, but i would classify you as skinny fat. Ditch the cardio. lifting heavy does the body wonders
Old 05-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Olah View Post
i actually agree here...

i have very small wrists and ankles and I'm 5'4 and 134 lb.... i don't look fat at all, i DO have stomach fat and thighs like most womenbut adding muscle will help more than anything. I look better at 130lb than I did at 120 because I've added muscle. I need to lose about 10lb to lose the last chub, but i would classify you as skinny fat. Ditch the cardio. lifting heavy does the body wonders
You mean like this? WFS
Old 05-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #25
Stephanie Olah

Profile:

YES!! exactly!! i LOVE that picture!! or Robin Romero posted this pic on facebook too.

Left 106 Lbs Right 111 Lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rr.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	9307  
Old 05-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
Hannah McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
you're already very light for your height.
I am not sure why you would say she is "very light" for 5'6". At that height (same as me) a person can go as low as 115 and still be within the "normal" range on BMI. I know those can be a poor measure for people with large amounts of muscle, but for someone like me (and it sounds like maybe Cecilia, but I will let her say for herself), that's an important point -- we don't want large amounts of muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
And having a small frame means you're at higher risk for osteoporosis later in life...trying to get skinnier isn't going to help you there.
Doesn't this risk only come into play when people are "underweight" or have eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #27
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

As you mentioned, BMI is worthless for people who train and carry any appreciable amount of lean mass. So the fact that it says someone could be "healthy" at 5'6" and 115lbs doesn't carry much weight in this situation....I'm not trying to put words in Cecilia's mouth and say she wants to add a lot of muscle, but based on the fact that she's posting here rather than on a Tracy Anderson Method forum I think it's a safe assumption that she wants to be all-around healthy and isn't afraid of carrying a little bit of muscle.

From WebMD:

Although some loss of bone density is a natural part of aging, certain women are at higher risk for developing the very porous bones and bone fractures associated with osteoporosis. Women who are thin or have a small frame are at higher risk, as are those who smoke, drink more than moderately, or live a sedentary lifestyle.

So yeah, having a small frame while being underweight would qualify as a few big risk factors for osteoporosis.