CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Leading by example

So I've been looking all over my city (Perth, Australia) for an ASCA qualified coach and sadly there are none. Or maybe theres a couple but none that are good.

This was one of the ones I stumbled upon in my searches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vo63...layer_embedded (wfs)

If he teaches powercleans like this I'd hate to see how how teaches other lifts.

Anyway, for me this raises the question - should coaches / trainers be good at this stuff or only good at coaching it? Is there a difference?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Struan Potter

Profile:
Re: Leading by example

He needs some proper sized bumpers first and foremost.

For me, as long as someone believes in what they're coaching and does their utmost to get the best out of their clients, life is good.

Last edited by Struan Potter : 01-21-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Kevin Benson

Profile:

Just having an academic knowledge is not enough, the trainer should know how the movement feels. Case in point, the other day at my rec center a trainer was trying to teach a front squat, but she obviously had never done them herself. She didn't once get under the bar to demo the movement and didn't pick up any of the faults her client was making, which were grossly obvious (holding the bar in the hands out in front of her body being one of many).

Luckily I've been there for a while and the trainer has seen me squat, front squat, clean, dead lift etc., and I happened to be doing front squats as well that day, so she didn't mind at all when I offered to demo the move and go over a couple points to help her clients. This only took a couple minutes and made a big difference for the clients. The trainer was also grateful because the session ended up being more positive for her client since she just wasn't "getting it" up to that point and seemed to be a little frustrated.

Experience counts; there's a reason why I earn double at my job then I did when I first got out of college.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

I don't think you need to be *amazing* at what you are coaching/teaching, but you definitely need to be fairly proficient at it, enough that you can demo your own movements with good form.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Ideally, the trainer should personally be able to demonstrate good form. They don't need to be able to put massive amounts of weight on the bar, but should have good to excellent technique with the weight they can lift.

On the other hand, there are a number of excellent coaches out there who -- due to age, injury, or both -- can no longer do what they teach. It's also very hard to demonstrate and teach at the same time, especially with a large group. So I'm also okay with a coach who has an assistant demonstrate. Provided, of course, that the assistant's form is good.

Put another way, the coach needs to be able to offer a good model for students to emulate. The coach doesn't personally need to be that model.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 01-22-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Vince Mannella

Profile:

Powerclean fail.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

On the other hand, there are a number of excellent coaches out there who -- due to age, injury, or both -- can no longer do what they teach. It's also very hard to demonstrate and teach at the same time, especially with a large group. So I'm also okay with a coach who has an assistant demonstrate. Provided, of course, that the assistant's form is good.
Fair enough, thats a good point.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Pearse Shields

Profile:

As a Muay Thai coach at a local university club, I'm never comfortable demonstrating techniques until I've mastered them, or at least have come to a demonstrable standard of technique. I have a hard time getting my point across with words at times, so demonstrating is integral to my teaching style. In saying that, I'm sure there are plenty of coaches in certain fields who are more than capable of teaching without necessarily being great at something themselves. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
As a Muay Thai coach at a local university club, I'm never comfortable demonstrating techniques until I've mastered them, or at least have come to a demonstrable standard of technique. I have a hard time getting my point across with words at times, so demonstrating is integral to my teaching style. In saying that, I'm sure there are plenty of coaches in certain fields who are more than capable of teaching without necessarily being great at something themselves. Just my 2 cents.
Consider Bill Belichick's career as a football player, or Phil Jackson's as a basketball player.

In martial arts, my experience is that the best teachers are the ones who have put the most effort into learning how to teach, not necessarily the ones who are the most skillful themselves.

Katherine
Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
Steve Bray

Profile:

there are plenty of good strength coaches in WA

http://www.strengthandconditioning.org/coaches.aspx
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|