CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Collin Thompson

Profile:
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Good thread, I was going to make something similar. Hopefully we can keep this going for a while.

Phil - your numbers given your BW definitely look like they could milk straight linear progression for a while. Wendler's would obviously work, but linear would be more productive. I'd suggest following an LP until you hit recovery issues then switch to Wendler's.

Dana - I like the idea of having an upper body pull all on its own..do you do any additional pulls on your push days though?

Michael - I'm on Wendler's right now and my workouts usually look something like this:

Monday - Squat 5/3/1, 5x10@55-60%, clean pull 5x3, short circuit, something along the lines of: 4 x 15 burpees, 15 toes-to-bar

Tuesday - Bench 5/3/1, 3-5x10@55-60% (careful if you follow BBB on upper body lifts as I'm finding out my shoulders are getting seriously overworked), A1: Close grip bench 3x5@ A2: Pendlay Rows 5 total sets and depending on how I feel some sort of quicky like: 3 x 10 plyo push-ups, 10 ctb pull-ups, 10 KTE then a couple extra sets for triceps. Might do a couple max rep sets of BW CTB pull-ups as well.

Wednesday - off

Thursday - Deadlift 5/3/1, 3-5x10 @55-60% (these might leave your low back in stitches the first few times to the point of it not even being productive so be careful), Front squats 3 x maybe 5,8,12, and maybe hop on the spin bike and go: 4 x 2min sprint/1min off followed by abmat 1-10 ladder.

Friday - Press 5/3/1, 3-5x10@55-60% with CTB pull-ups done intermittently (~30), Weighted Pull-ups 3 x max, usually a circuit like the other day was 3 x with 1 min rest between: Push Press + Push Jerk (3+1), 8 CTB pull-ups, 10 burpees. Triceps work/Hammer curls.

Saturday/Sunday - off

I'm usually in and out within an hour and some change, rarely going over an hour 20. The workload is high volume though but the circuits are programmed around what I know my own strengths to be (I can bang out plenty of pull-ups, for example).

I think it's important if you're going to incorporate circuits to Wendler's (for myself at least) you ought to pick assistance moves which focus on weaknesses and then circuits based on things you are able to bang out and feel like you got a hell of a workout in 8 minutes or less. I suck at double unders and can't string together more than 10 HSPU's so I keep those out. Burpees and pull-ups? I'll go all day.

Last edited by Collin Thompson : 01-18-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

My wife and I have done this as well along with Wods. In order to get another day or two rest we were doubling up the days (2 days a week instead of 4). It would look something like:

Monday:
5/3/1 Bench Press
5/3/1 Back Squat
Assistance: DB Incline Press 3x10, Pullup Ladder, Trap bar deadlifts/pulls. 3x5-8, GHR's

Tuesday: Wod

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Wod

Friday:
5/3/1 Deadlift
5/3/1 Overhead Press
Assistance: BBB bench. Front Squats or Safety Squats (3x10, 1x20, 13x3), DB Rollovers 3x10-15, GHR's or Max Russian KB swings.

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Wod

Everything seems to progress decent, especially lower body, except that bench is somewhat unresponsive for me.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Oh, and on the template I tried and changed the "Smallest Possible Increase" to 2.5 and it ended up changing all the other values to #NAME?. Is that just an issue on my side? Should we be able to do that?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Oh, and on the template I tried and changed the "Smallest Possible Increase" to 2.5 and it ended up changing all the other values to #NAME?. Is that just an issue on my side? Should we be able to do that?
Strange, it works fine for me. You can change it to any incriment you want. What version of Excel are you on? It looks like thats a formula error.

Here, I uploaded it to google docs. The only thing is Google Docs doesn't allow you to lock individual cells.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GxQd29tQlVSYWc

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 01-18-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Dana Rice

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
Phil - your numbers given your BW definitely look like they could milk straight linear progression for a while. Wendler's would obviously work, but linear would be more productive. I'd suggest following an LP until you hit recovery issues then switch to Wendler's.
I would agree here. I love 5/3/1, and I think it would definetly work, but based on your size and current strength - if you haven't done an LP program, I think it would get you the same results much faster. Once you exhaust LP, then try 5/3/1

Quote:
Dana - I like the idea of having an upper body pull all on its own..do you do any additional pulls on your push days though?
I don't - I separate push and pull for upper and lower. I have found that by separating like this - I can give each area longer to recover, and keep my workouts less than 60 min (important cause I hit it during my lunch hour). I am actually experimenting with putting an upper pull (weighted pullups) on the 5/3/1 template on Fridays. The only complication I've run into is microloading. With the 4 big lifts, I just always round up, but with weighted pullups, the loads are so small - this doesn't work. I've just been finding random crap around the gym and weighing it and hooking it to the dip belt. I am only 3 weeks into this - No idea how well this will work, it probably wont - but how bada** would it be to add 20-30 lbs to my weighted pullup in a couple months.

My week typically looks like this:
Monday - Press 5/3/1, Assistance - 2 additional sets at 60%, then some combination of arnold press, high pulls, front raise, handstand pushups, face pulls, reverse flys (pick 3, but I always include rear delt)
Tuesday - Squat 5/3/1, Assistance - 2 additional sets at 60%, front squats or weighted lunges, then some bicep curl variation (I know)
Wednesday - Bench 5/3/1, Assistance - 2 additional sets at 60%, incline press, weighted dips, plyo-pushup variation
Thursday - Deadlift 5/3/1, Assistance - 2 additional sets, some combination of romanian deadlift, glute ham raise, back extension or glute bridge (usually pick 2) then close-grip bench or something else for tricep
Friday - Now I do weighted pullup 5/3/1, Assistance - 2 additional sets of pullups or chinups, rows, then some core/ab work (knees to elbows, toes to bar, planks, L-sits . . .etc.)

Friday night I double up and do a short metcon, Saturday - we do a longer metcon that usually involves some kind of running/sled pushing/farmers walk, with barbell or kettlebell work.

Sunday - OFF
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
Collin Thompson

Profile:

That'd be awesome to up pull-ups like that. I'm almost positive Jim Wendler tried that, poke around the web and you'll find something. 5/3/1 works on bent rows so that'd be an option if you find the pull-ups don't work very well. How much longer are you planning on running 5/3/1? I'm deloading on cycle 2 at the moment and I made it an early new years resolution to just stick with a ****ing program for a full year so hopefully I see good gains.

Speaking of deloads, how do you approach them?
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
Dana Rice

Profile:

bent over rows would be another possibility - and would probably work better cause the loads are so much heavier.

I am going to keep running it until I completely stall out. So far, I haven't had to do any resets, and on bench and deadlift day - I am able to hit a pretty good number on that last + set. Like today, we did 5+ on bench and I was able to get 8 pretty comfortably.

I deload usually based on how I feel. It seems this has been about every 2 mesocycles (I guess about half of what Wendler recommends). I honestly find deloading the hardest part about the program. Its wierd to go to the gym, feel like you are just getting warm and have that be it.

Does anyone deload the assistance exercises? I know there is really no need to - but I do, because I am there - and I don't feel like going back to work after 15 minutes.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Gotchya. I read through the entire 50+ page 5/3/1 thread on T-nation where Wendler even chimes in quite a bit. They do recommend deloading assistance stuff I think in the manner of less volume. But if you're following 2-3 workout/week template there's no real need for a deload (apparently there isn't a need for deload on 4/week, it is just highly recommended).
Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Gotchya. I read through the entire 50+ page 5/3/1 thread on T-nation where Wendler even chimes in quite a bit. They do recommend deloading assistance stuff I think in the manner of less volume. But if you're following 2-3 workout/week template there's no real need for a deload (apparently there isn't a need for deload on 4/week, it is just highly recommended).
You should buy the book. Answers a lot of your questions.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #20
Collin Thompson

Profile:

It's next on the list as soon as I'm done with Practical Programming.