CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Anthony Papadopoulos

Profile:
are these chin ups any good? i think i ve got weaker on them :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNWPBE_lnNo
Old 11-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Good god man, that's great. I'd kill to be able to do that. Good work. Keep it up.

All the best,
Arden
Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I'm seeing some non full ROM pull ups there. Strong work, but take care to fully extend at the bottom. Many shoulder issues have resulted from lots of non-full ROM pullups.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
Anthony Papadopoulos

Profile:
arden, thanks :-) but really they are not good at all.

roger, yes they weren't from a complete deadhang :-(
So should i lower the weight and attemt from a deadhang, or will i still be able to do them from a deadhang without lowering the weight at all?
How much extra weight should i be able to chin to do a one arm chin?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Completely opening your shoulders at the bottom will increase the difficulty significantly so you may need to drop the weight some.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Anthony,

Training for weighted Chinups and training for a One-Armed Chinup are two different animals.

That's like someone telling me that they're going to train for a One-Legged Squat (aka Pistol) by doing heavier Squats. It simply doesn't work that way (though there are very different mechanics between the Chinup and OAC than there are between the Squat and Pistol)

To train for a OAC you need to be able to Press effectively by activating your lats on both the upward and downward motion. Once you can do that comfortably, then you can start to work OAC negatives. That movement takes a long time to work up to, especially without injuring yourself along the way, so be very patient with it.

As for your next Weighted Chinups workout, I would drop the weight by 20kg and make sure that you have complete ROM, deadhang to deadhang. Pause for one second at the bottom if need be. Then add on 5kg per workout. You'll be Pulling 40kg SAFELY in no time. As soon as you hit 40kg again with perfect form, do lower reps and/or lower weight and/or fewer sets for a couple of workouts before increasing the weight again.

This will ensure that safety is a part of increased performance.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
Anthony Papadopoulos

Profile:
ok guys! i see, i must train harder and emphasize the deadhang position. :-) nice tips!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Eric,

You got a source for that info? I would love to read some more info about training for OA pull ups.

(I have already seen the one from. . . DD I think it was).
Old 11-21-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Jeremy,

I heard about training that way from Pavel, but if you think about it, it just makes logical sense while training.

The negative to the One-Armed Press, especially with a kettlebell (my view on kbs is different and more positive than most CrossFitters), nearly mirrors the motion and the tension needed for a One-Armed Pullup. I wish I could explain it better, but it just "makes sense" to me, so it's more difficult for me to explain in greater detail.

This goes double for the Bottoms Up Press with a kettlebell (something you simply cannot do with a dumbbell). I would wager that if you could Bottoms Up Press a kettlebell that is half of your bodyweight AND do a Weighted Pullup (and Chinup) with close to your bodyweight, then you would have the tension and strength necessary to perform a One-Armed CHINUP (not Pullup) with your stronger hand. You would just need a bit more practice doing the actual lift with One-armed negatives, One-armed bottom-of-bar Lockouts, and One-Armed top-of-bar Lockouts.

That last paragraph is all conjecture, though, and will take me quite a while to test and confirm one way or the other. There really aren't too many sources out there on training for these. If you find some, please let me know!
Old 11-23-2006, 03:24 AM   #10
Travis Loest

Profile:
Roger, when you are talking full range of motion you are talking about the elbows being straight correct? I try to keep my shoulders "activated" and out of my ears the entire time I'm doing pull-ups. don't tell me I been doing them all wrong.