CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Torrey Quella

Profile:
Going back to Starting Strength after an injury?

Been involved with CF for a couple years. Stopped the WOD about 2 years ago and went through Starting Strength. Thought it would help on some of the heavier WODs. Had really good results and was really happy with how it helped my WODs after.

Last fall I injured my lower back. Load bearing exercises were out so I did what I could but obviously have lost more strength than I thought I would.

Been back in the gym but stayed away from the heavier WOD and subbed in other things until now. Would going back and revisiting starting strength be a good idea or will just sticking with the WOD help my strength get back to the pre-injury level fairly quickly?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Benji Whitehead

Profile:
Re: Going back to Starting Strength after an injury?

I hurt my back in August and started a strength based program in December and it's been great for me. I still throw in the occasional WOD/metcon to keep my cardio up but the strength gains have been constant.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Torrey Quella

Profile:

I know that one will get cardio conditioning back a lot faster than gaining strength, but I'm wondering if they can be done concurrently if I'm just hoping for my strength to get back to my pre-injury levels.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Michael Henry

Profile:

I don't do Starting Strength, but any time I have a significant lay off I always go back to linear progression derivative of it. I think its the best way, and you can jump up faster if need be.