CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Garrett Moberg

Profile:
"Half callous" tear treatment.

Back to callouses..

My skin will rip, it'll hurt some but with proper taping we can get around that. The link below is to the beautiful shape my left hand is in, with 3 callouses, from middle, ring, little.

http://img703.imageshack.us/i/img0217s.jpg/

Below my little finger I have a callous, which doesn't bother me at all.
below the middle, there's a rip below the callous, which is a bit sensitive but still no problem
now the ring finger, the rip has gone halfway into the callous. The hard bit is right on the border of the ripped healing skin is.
The least bit of pressure is painful, which isn't the case with the newly formed scabs on other rips.

so my question is what can i do about this in the meanwhile? Doesn't matter how much material of whatever I cover it with, because it's the pressure/pinching motion which causes the pain.

It makes it very hard to grip bars heavier than 65lbs properly, I have been able to use Pär Larssons training grip meanwhile but only at 2/3s of my usual weight.

I am applying lotion to the scab to keep it from drying up, as well as calendula extract, a healing plant.

I was wondering if when the tear was still fresh, to go ahead and "dig out" the entire callous? This would involve tearing another half the amount of skin already lost, and probably wouldn't be fun either, but it might get me back to heavier lifts faster?

Well, anyone with thoughts on the matter, I would like the hear them!
Thanks for reading over,

Garrett
Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: "Half callous" tear treatment.

Shave down the top part of the callous to the level of regular skin so it doesn't stick up

The best thing you can do is just avoid ripping completely and shave down your calluses in general.

I don't know why people try to push through and continue working out and ripping... it's like an injury and hinders your workouts in the future for at least a week. Just stop your workout when you're about to rip and your hands will eventually become like leather
Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Peter Gan

Profile:

hey Garrett,

You could try super glue, a lot of my firends do that when their hand rip. But personally I like to take give my hands some rest and do other training, while using Polysporin. The rip heals dramatically faster!!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Now while torn:
1. apply neosporin
2. cover w/ bandaid
3. avoid training that will re-aggravate (a few days?)

Once healed:
1. file down callouses with pumice stone, file, etc
2. do this consistently
3. for pullups, maybe try & grip more towards your fingertips to avoid stress/tearing at the base of fingers. It will tax your grip more but save on tears.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Dawn Meifert

Profile:

Prevention is always the best medicine. Avoid callusing and tears altogether with a product called PhitGrip. Take a look at their photos in the testimonials page
Old 03-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Lionel Garcia

Profile:

I pinch up the dead skin and then clip it off with nail clippers. Gross I know but it's easy to clip away the dead skin as it builds up.