CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Jim Biancolo

Profile:
Squat/butt-wink feedback tip (esp. if you workout alone)

Hi folks,

I'm coming back from a spine injury, and am trying to be super-conservative about my form before putting any weight on the bar. One of my frustrations is just the slightest rounding of my back at the bottom of the squat (butt wink). One of the hard parts about fixing it is that I can't FEEL it happen. I get no feedback. I can see it on the video after the fact, but by then it's too late, and I can't sense what to engage to reduce the curvature.

So, this might be a stupid idea, but I just tried it and I think it might be helpful. Assume a neutral spine posture and run a strip of masking tape from the top of your tailbone running up your spine 6-8 inches. As soon as your lower back rounds, you feel the tape tighten. Instant feedback.

Anyway, it's a new idea to me, so I might discover reasons why this doesn't work so well (I tried searching the forum, but all the "tape" references near the top of the search were for video tape), or maybe its been discussed already, but I think it might help me, at least, so I thought I'd share it.

Take care,

Jim
Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Squat/butt-wink feedback tip (esp. if you workout alone)

Maybe this article will help what you're looking for:

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2010/10/the-butt-wink/ (WFS)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Jim Biancolo

Profile:

Thanks Jason, that's an interesting piece. I'm not sure what I should take away from it though. I'm basically trying to follow Rippetoe's guidelines for the back squat in Starting Strength, and this slight curvature that just magically appears as I approach parallel is where I break down. I'm not trying to keep exaggerated extension, I'm just trying to keep neutral, which I understand should be the goal here, but perhaps that is incorrect? Or opinions just vary?
Old 01-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
Struan Potter

Profile:

For some people, the butt wink is rounding from hyper extension into neutral, so keep that in mind. Also bear in mind that a back squat is a lot different to an air squat, I know tonnes of people who have poor air squat technique, but have excellent back squat technique.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Dale Finlayson

Profile:

As I saw in a video recently actively think more about crushing something with your hip flexors at the hip crease on the way into the bottom of your squat. This action in addition to pulling lumbar into neutral, tightening the abdominals and keeping your body long will keep the hip in line with the spine and not following the femur if done well enough.

Worked for a few of my guys.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Perfect timing.

Go here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...tion_for_power (NWFS for some profanity).
Old 01-29-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
For some people, the butt wink is rounding from hyper extension into neutral, so keep that in mind. Also bear in mind that a back squat is a lot different to an air squat, I know tonnes of people who have poor air squat technique, but have excellent back squat technique.
This is true. The goal should always be to maintain the same back position throughout the movement ie. the back is compromised if it extends or flexes under load.

The cue to tense the back muscles with an anterior pelvic tilt (during my cert, Rip told the guys to think about dropping their b*lls down) can lead to hyperextension. KStar has talked about this...as a lifter preparing to squat takes the weight off the rack, steps backward, then...tilts the pelvis forward...then squats. This can put big stress on the low back/SI joints.

A good cue is to squeeze the glutes (keeps the back from hyperextending), and tighten the core (ribs down)...you can try to extend the spine but biased against the tight abs...then squat.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 01-29-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Jim Biancolo

Profile:

Thanks for the info, folks, and great timing indeed on the Rippetoe article on T-Nation! Lots of stuff for me to try, I appreciate it.