CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Realistic goals for master's lifters?

So. We maxed out the olympic lifts at my box today. My numbers (59kg total, 36kg clean and jerk, 23.5 kg snatch) didn't strike me as particularly impressive, which isn't surprising considering how little really focused technique work I've done.

But then I did some Googling for things like US and international qualifying totals in my weight class (53 or 58kg) and age group (45 next year, so 45-49).

Pfft. Is that all? I'm not there yet, but adding 5-10 kilos per lift should be totally doable with some coaching and focused effort...

So what are realistic goals? On the one hand, I'm still in the novice gains period on both technique and raw strength, with decent general fitness and probably better than average flexibility and balance. On the other hand, they tell me the calendar is not my friend at this point. What's a girl to do?

(Little voice is saying: Come to the Dark Side, lift heavy stuff. )

Katherine
Old 12-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Realistic goals for master's lifters?

I agree with the little voice. You'll never know until you try, what you're potential is.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I think it varies tremendously from person to person (but have never seen many big studies on serious athletic training among the older population so who knows). I cast a vote on BIG WEIGHT.

(I also cast a vote on making sure you keep up the other strength lifts--press, deadlift, etc--on the side, because you will not always see consistent progress with the Olys, especially as you get older, and keeping up the others can give you PR fixes to prevent you from getting discouraged)
Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Yeah, I know, no apostrophe in "masters." Harrumph.

Katherine
Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

I think a lot depends on what type of program you're on, but I'm betting you can do it. 10kg doesn't seem unreasonable, honestly. I think you'll probably have more problems with the snatch than the clean&jerk, but honestly with your time in aikido I would expect your wrists/joints to be both flexible and strong, which is definitely in your favor.

(And definitely come to the dark side! We have pie.)
Old 12-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
I think a lot depends on what type of program you're on, but I'm betting you can do it. 10kg doesn't seem unreasonable, honestly. I think you'll probably have more problems with the snatch than the clean&jerk, but honestly with your time in aikido I would expect your wrists/joints to be both flexible and strong, which is definitely in your favor.
Yeah, 10kg didn't seem like a big jump to me, either. Hence the post. Actually being competitive would require bigger jumps, but still not huge. A 2x bodyweight total would be pretty solid.

My biggest flexibility issue is my upper back, as my shoulders tend to round. But that's relative: I'm already flexible enough to have a pretty decent front rack position and a full ROM overhead squat.

My affiliate is in the process of setting up a USAW team. (Which helped precipitate this line of thinking.) The head trainer is a USAW Club Coach, and the assistant trainers have good experience too, so the programming/coaching piece should be reasonably solid.

Katherine
Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
So. We maxed out the olympic lifts at my box today. My numbers (59kg total, 36kg clean and jerk, 23.5 kg snatch) didn't strike me as particularly impressive, which isn't surprising considering how little really focused technique work I've done.

But then I did some Googling for things like US and international qualifying totals in my weight class (53 or 58kg) and age group (45 next year, so 45-49).

Pfft. Is that all? I'm not there yet, but adding 5-10 kilos per lift should be totally doable with some coaching and focused effort...

So what are realistic goals? On the one hand, I'm still in the novice gains period on both technique and raw strength, with decent general fitness and probably better than average flexibility and balance. On the other hand, they tell me the calendar is not my friend at this point. What's a girl to do?

(Little voice is saying: Come to the Dark Side, lift heavy stuff. )

Katherine
COME TO THE DARK SIDE, LIFT HEAVY STUFF.

Not even joking. This is why I am a masters weightlifter now .

I need a qualifying total of 85 to compete in the Masters Pan American Games, haha. That is well below my current numbers, and at least I get the experience of competing.

I have every intention of going after the national records in my age and weight class. It won't be easy, but it is not unrealistic.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 12-20-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
(And definitely come to the dark side! We have pie.)
Really. Dying. Laughing.

I am sitting here eating pumpkin pie right now.

The Dark Side has PIES GALORE!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Really. Dying. Laughing.

I am sitting here eating pumpkin pie right now.

The Dark Side has PIES GALORE!
ROFL. I'm making key lime pie tonight!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
ROFL. I'm making key lime pie tonight!
I never eat pie.

But, seriously, my mother-in-law made some horrible pecan tart for Thanksgiving. WHY NO PUMPKIN PIE?

So, when I went to pick up lunch today, there was a pumpkin pie. And, I had just PR'd. And, that pie had my name on it.