CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
15lb or 22lb "junior" or "practice" bars?

Would I have any luck finding used ones locally for around $60 or less?

I know they don't hold much weight but i need something that's small and portable.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: 15lb or 22lb "junior" or "practice" bars?

Probably not for $60. There was a Crossfit Journal article about making your own though.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Scott Reynolds

Profile:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/02/...ink.tpl#_login wfs

This is the article, its easy to make. It ends up being about 5 pounds with a 6o pound capacity. I it cost me $10-15 to make the first one.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Scott,
Iin your opinion was screwing the PVC into the metal bar really necessary? Would a strong epoxy glue have gotten the job done instead?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Luis Fernandez

Profile:

Lincoln, I also made one of these. Drilling was easy. Just make sure to use a metal bit and avoid the welding on the inside of the pipe.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Scott,
Iin your opinion was screwing the PVC into the metal bar really necessary? Would a strong epoxy glue have gotten the job done instead?
The bar and PVC layers all fit on pretty tight (except for the 2" PVC end). I'm not very handy, so I can't say if some form of glue would be enough. If it helps at all, I found out the hard way that the PVC fits very tightly by itself. Being the genius I am, I made the PVC 10" long each instead of 5". When I realized my mistake, I tried to take the PVC off. After trying for a bit, I decided that it would be smarter to make a new one than disassemble that one.

I can say, that drilling was by far the easiest part of making it. I didn't have a single broken bit and it took < 20 seconds of drilling for each hole.

Cutting the PVC was a pain, but I'm sure many on these boards are familiar with using a hacksaw on a PVC pipe. Because of the tight fit, I was afraid the directions were wrong, but with some wiggling the PVC layers eventually slid into place.

All-in-all this was not difficult to make. The cuts do not have to be precise and all it takes is time. Oh yeah, and although they are simple, I'd recommend reading the directions correctly.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Scott Reynolds

Profile:

Quote:
Scott,
Quote:
Lincoln, I also made one of these. Drilling was easy. Just make sure to use a metal bit and avoid the welding on the inside of the pipe.
Good Advice Luis

I agree with Anthony as well.

I'm not sure if it will last long without a few screws. For me the first layer of pvc actually screwed on the threads of the gas pipe. The next layers were also tight (had to pry them open to get them on) but the last 3/4" long piece of 2" pipe that is used for the collar ended up being pretty loose, it would be hard to keep it in place with glue.

Cutting the pvc to length was not hard with a big tubing cutter. I made the axial cuts with a sawzall and without a vice this was the hardest part for me.

Ive been using the first bar I made for around 5 months with a lot of use for new and older clients. It gets dropped often with 25lb bumbers on each side and it has held up well. I painted and taped the bar for some grip but don't paint the sleeves (pvc) because it will make the bumbers really tight and the paint will rub of eventually anyway.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
the last 3/4" long piece of 2" pipe that is used for the collar ended up being pretty loose, it would be hard to keep it in place with glue.
Maybe that's why the screws are in the plans. Thanks. I was wondering if this project would be possible with a solid bar instead of tubing but that would pretty much require using expoxy instead of screws.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

awesome... Im sure I can find a hacksaw but I don't have access to a clamp... is it still doable w/o one?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Casey Raiford

Profile:

You could probably get it pretty secure with one of those cheap one inch cargo straps from hardware/home improvement stores. They're usually just a few dollars. Get it on a pretty sturdy surface you can fit it around and gripe it down hard. Might want to use two for stability, come to think of it. They make decent enough home made ring straps when you're done.