CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #21
Bridget Kelley

Profile:
Re: New to CF, strict zone, not losing pudge

Hard to say.

I normally don't get to bed until 9:30 and frequently don't get to sleep before 10:30. I tend to sleep restlessly until about 2-4 am and then my daughter usually wakes up about 6:30. Sometimes I get up then, during the week I may continue to doze until 7:30, sometimes as late as 8:30 on the weekends. Some days I am so exhausted that I'll crash hard at 8 pm, others I don't actually achieve unconsciousness until after midnight.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Kelley View Post
Hard to say.

I normally don't get to bed until 9:30 and frequently don't get to sleep before 10:30. I tend to sleep restlessly until about 2-4 am and then my daughter usually wakes up about 6:30. Sometimes I get up then, during the week I may continue to doze until 7:30, sometimes as late as 8:30 on the weekends. Some days I am so exhausted that I'll crash hard at 8 pm, others I don't actually achieve unconsciousness until after midnight.

Alot of good advice has been given, but I think until you figure out a way to get better and more sleep....you will continue to have problems. Of course, some will pop up and say they only sleep 30 minutes with one eye open at all times. There are exceptions to every rule.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #23
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I don't have any of the links on hand, but I know I've read stuff about how taking melatonin supplements messes up your body's natural production of melatonin. Plus it's designed to make you drowsy--I'm not a fan of sleep aids that do that.

ZMA/Natural Calm/cal-mag-zinc don't work that way, they just restore mineral levels that are out of balance in most people, allowing better muscle relaxation and recovery through deeper sleep.
Yeah wasn't sure if you had anything on hand, I've read both sides of the story. I know in "Lights Out" they recommended not taking it, but in their second book "Sex, Lies and Menopause" they said taking over the counter melatonin wasn't bad and doesn't suppress your pineal glands natural production after all. I've taken melatonin many times when my sleep cycle gets out of whack.

Natural calm is great, been taking that, as well as a basic zinc chelate for about a year now. Great stuff.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #24
Bridget Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Alot of good advice has been given, but I think until you figure out a way to get better and more sleep....you will continue to have problems.
Right, I'm hoping that taking some of all the good advice will help solve the sleeping problem.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #25
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Kelley View Post
Right, I'm hoping that taking some of all the good advice will help solve the sleeping problem.
Poor sleep for me is an early sign I am over training or more accurately my nutrition and rest was not adequate for the work I was doing. Once I added more food to the mix I began to sleep better(even if not longer) which gave me what I needed to get back on an even keel and aided recovery and performance gains.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #26
Bridget Kelley

Profile:

well, yesterday I only got about 4 hours of not great sleep, I'm hopeful that eating more today and being completely exhausted will help tonight.
Still did well in the gym this morning, though
Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #27
Jason Halm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
Poor sleep for me is an early sign I am over training or more accurately my nutrition and rest was not adequate for the work I was doing. Once I added more food to the mix I began to sleep better(even if not longer) which gave me what I needed to get back on an even keel and aided recovery and performance gains.
For me, sometimes if I have trouble sleeping, particularly during the summer, I'll take a week and purposely overpush myself. i.e. 30 mile bike ride one day, heavy lifting another, a run the next, etc. That way, i'm exhausted for bed. Doesn't really sound like it'd help the OPs problem. Just my 2 cents.