CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
Vuk Vir

Profile:
Re: New to CF, strict zone, not losing pudge

I had the exact same problem. I was 95 then started Cf. Went to 98, then dramatically decreased in weight to 81kg. My trainer said to me it was perfectly normal to initially gain weight first, as your muscles grow to adapt/cope with to the style of training.

Just you wait...You will see a 2kg a week drop if you continue dieting and training like that.

Keep it up
Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Kelley View Post
I hadn't really thought that I might be putting myself into starvation mode, but I did ramp up really quickly from being largely sedentary for the past 5 years. Seems strange to need to eat more to lose more...
Ive been doing cf for like 5 months minus 3 weeks for work travel. I havent lost a pound. A couple months into it, even though performance was improving I was feeling a bit worn down, wasnt recovering as quickly between wods and having a hard time sleeping. I had body comp tested in a bodpod and added 700-1000 cals a day to my diet. Almost immediatly my sleep patterns imporved and so did recovery. 6 weeks later I had body comp retested and exchanged 5lbs of fat for 5 lbs of muscle.

If your new to CF dont be afraid to eat a bit more until you figure out where you need to be calorie wise. If your eating clean it can actually be a lot of work to overeat.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

I would agree with the folks who say 11 blocks probably isn't enough with that activity level.

If you've gone from sedentary to Crossfit, your body is building a lot of muscle on top of recovering, actually doing the workouts, and so forth. You'll need more food to do that than you expect.

Katherine
Old 11-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

I'd say cut the extra rowing for now, unless it's just nice easy pace to get the blood flowing on a rest day. More work+not enough food=good way to jack up cortisol levels. Just hit your workouts hard at the gym, get stronger, eat more, get enough sleep, and see how that goes.
Everything Eric said. Sleep being a biggie.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
Bridget Kelley

Profile:

Thanks,
sleep has been a big problem for me - I can be a bit of an insomniac.
I've tried easing my day down, drinking chamomile/mint tea, not eating or exercising too close to sleep time...
Unfortunately, stress is huge right now. I keep thinking that working out harder will tire me out and make it easier to sleep but with what Eric has said about cortisol levels, I think I've been making it worse.
I'm going to keep hitting my workouts hard (for the first time in a long time I really enjoy working out), but I will cut back the extra (except kipping practice at home - I am going to do a pull up if it kills me), eat more, and try to sleep.
With what Vuk said, I am now confident that I'm not just some freak who can't lose weight by restricting my diet and working my butt off.
Thanks for all of the help and support!
Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Try ZMA, Natural Calm, or calcium/magnesium/zinc to help you sleep--they don't have the negative consequences of melatonin. Make sure your room is completely dark and quiet--put up extra blackout curtains or drapes, and cover up any background noise with white noise like a fan or radio static.

Mainly, just make sleep a priority--if sleep is bad everything is going to suffer. Recovery, weight loss, energy levels, everything.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Try ZMA, Natural Calm, or calcium/magnesium/zinc to help you sleep--they don't have the negative consequences of melatonin. Make sure your room is completely dark and quiet--put up extra blackout curtains or drapes, and cover up any background noise with white noise like a fan or radio static.

Mainly, just make sleep a priority--if sleep is bad everything is going to suffer. Recovery, weight loss, energy levels, everything.
On the contrary...what are the negative side effects of melatonin that you have come across? I don't want to derail the thread so if you have any links to blog posts, or books in mind, PM me if you have time.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
Bridget Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
I can't express how HUGE a priority is. I'm going to look into those products you mentioned and try them out. One of my sleep problems is that I have 4 yr old twins that don't always sleep well, so I don't sleep well. Another is that due to stress, I believe, I am restless in the beginning of the night and just don't get quality sleep.

I'm hopeful that fixing my eating and laying off of the extra hard cardio will drop the cortisol levels and make it easier to get good sleep. And I'll check those products to give my system a little boost until the diet has a chance to normalize my other systems.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #19
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Wheeler View Post
On the contrary...what are the negative side effects of melatonin that you have come across? I don't want to derail the thread so if you have any links to blog posts, or books in mind, PM me if you have time.
I don't have any of the links on hand, but I know I've read stuff about how taking melatonin supplements messes up your body's natural production of melatonin. Plus it's designed to make you drowsy--I'm not a fan of sleep aids that do that.

ZMA/Natural Calm/cal-mag-zinc don't work that way, they just restore mineral levels that are out of balance in most people, allowing better muscle relaxation and recovery through deeper sleep.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #20
Brian Strump

Profile:

How many hours do you SLEEP each night?