CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Georgia McCusker

Profile:
Just started Crossfit-causing health and skin issues?

Hey guys, I just started Crossfit about a week ago. I'm 23 and I have never been athletic or done sports of any kind so this is brand new for me. I used to eat terribly as well; I was never interested in eating healthy or taking care of my body.
So now I started eating pretty healthy (lean protein, healthy fats and green veggies) every meal for about two months and I was doing aerobics for 2 months before I switched to Crossfit last week. But now I'm finding that I'm waking up every morning with terrible headaches that usually re-surface throughout the day and also my skin has started breaking out when it never has before.
My boyfriend has been doing crossfit for years (he's the one coaching me) and he thought it might have to do with breaking down fat which releases toxins into my body which might be causing this. He also thought I might not be eating enough but I eat three huge meals a day plus a smoothie after my workout and multiple snacks in-between so I don't think it could be that! It also could be coincidental but I'm just curious if anyone else had anything like this happen??
Old 10-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: Just started Crossfit-causing health and skin issues?

the headaches could be a lack of hydration. now that your working out you probably need alot more fluids.

the breaking out doesn't surprise me. your body is cleansing itself and it is getting rid of toxins everyway it can. this is why its important to stay hydrated so your body can move toxins out.

but your on a good path and in 6 months you'll feel & look better then ever
Old 10-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

How long has it been like this? I'd give it 2 weeks, your body needs to adjust. If it takes longer than that, there's a more serious issue.

Agree with the hydration thing. You might want to see if you're eating enough carbohydrates -- add in some fruits.

Finally, try taking some fish oil regularly. You might be eating too much omega-6 fat and not enough omega-3 which can definitely cause some skin issues and general inflammation throughout the body.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Are you working out at a gym or personal garage gym?
May want to start wiping everything down before you use it. You may be having a reaction to something someone who used the bars/weights etc was using.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Also, on a practical note, because I have this problem a lot.

When you work out, are you wearing makeup? Do you wash your face directly after? What kind of material are your clothes (specifically the tight fitting ones like your sports bra and underwear) made of?

I find that if I workout in the evenings with a full face of make up (just because I"m too lazy to wash my face before) it can lead to breakouts when mixed with sweat. Also, sometimes my sports bra chafes and causes irritation.

Also this might be completely unrelated. Have you switched skin care products recently? Or has your regular formula perhaps been adjusted by the company? It may have something that irritates your skin.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Georgia McCusker

Profile:

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the feedback! I am trying to drink more water and started taking fish oil. It's been going on about 3 weeks! Someone else suggested that it might be Ketosis, a condition where your body switches from burning carbs to burning the stored fat ... or something along these lines.
Also, I don't wear any make up at all so I don't think it's that but I will definitely look into the sports bra/clothing thing.
I don't think I need more carbs either, I'm not very strict with my eating regime; in order to make it easier for me to switch to healthy eating from terrible eating, I let myself eat one meal a week (usually Sunday night supper) where I eat anything I want. Plus, sometimes I just snack on fruits and I'll have the occasional starbucks drink so I think maybe my body is just stuck inbetween the carb burning/fat burning process?
I hope this made sense!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Tyler Schaeffer

Profile:

Did you drink a lot of caffeinated beverages or high sugared beverages prior to switching your diet up, may be withdrawal symptoms (at least the headache portion)?