CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Matthew Eldredge

Profile:
New to CF!

Hey everyone, I'm new to this board and just looking for a little help.

male/26/6'3"/260

Goals: To lose 40lbs, and to drop body fat %.

Quick background info:
Used to be a semi-successful college wrestler, now I am a college coach. I gained about 50 lbs my last year to wrestle a new weight class. After my career ended I just stopped working out for about a year and a half. Now that I'm back into the swing of things, the only thing I know how to do is lift heavy with the purpose of gaining size. I need some help in changing my routines and I'm hoping this is the way!

Now for my question of the day: I currently started working out with "fight gone bad". Is it a bad thing that I did as many reps as possible and then tired out in 20 seconds and had to take a 15 sec break before I could do more of the exercise? Or should I try to pace myself for these timed exercises?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Joe Dagen

Profile:
Re: New to CF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Eldredge View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to this board and just looking for a little help.

male/26/6'3"/260

Goals: To lose 40lbs, and to drop body fat %.

Quick background info:
Used to be a semi-successful college wrestler, now I am a college coach. I gained about 50 lbs my last year to wrestle a new weight class. After my career ended I just stopped working out for about a year and a half. Now that I'm back into the swing of things, the only thing I know how to do is lift heavy with the purpose of gaining size. I need some help in changing my routines and I'm hoping this is the way!

Now for my question of the day: I currently started working out with "fight gone bad". Is it a bad thing that I did as many reps as possible and then tired out in 20 seconds and had to take a 15 sec break before I could do more of the exercise? Or should I try to pace myself for these timed exercises?

Thanks guys!
Hi Matt-

Welcome to the board (which seems weird to say since I don't post very often.)

All of this is my two cents:

If you don't mind me asking, why are you targeting 40lbs of weight loss? That sounds much like the commercial dietary/gym mantras. Think about altering your goal a bit. Maybe something like, "To gain strength on key movements while decreasing body fat - all without losing touch with the other important aspects of my life." Its not that you won't lose 40lbs, or that you can't lose 40lbs, but eating well and training hard might quickly make your initial goal obsolete. For what its worth, losing 40lbs is a "yes" or "no" result - training for fitness and health is a process that might not work best with weight loss goals.

That said, you're obviously an experienced athlete. The toughest guys I knew were wrestlers, so you were probably used to extremely hard workouts and max exertions. However, you're currently an untrained, beginning athlete. I'm not saying your not tough or strong - only that for the movements and routines that CF will prescribe will challenge you in a different way. To answer your question about "Fight Gone Bad," my advice is to simply take things slowly. Consistency is key - it doesn't matter how hard you workout today if it takes you 5 days to recover. Do as much as you can without losing the capacity to do more. IMO, scale back every workout to a level you can finish over the next month with the goal of completing all of the workouts and evaluating how you feel and your recovery. Your body will tell you when to ramp it up (and if you listen very carefully, when to dial it back.)

Concerning your fat loss goals, it might be a different beast all together. The wrestlers I knew would cut weight in the most terrifying ways - you know the stories and you know the process, but I still shudder to think what my buddy looked like after football season compared to 1/2 way through wrestling season.

To lose body fat you must eat, and eat allot. Forget the conventional (and completely wrong) wisdom that calories=calories and you must decrease calories IN if you want to lose weight. You do NOT lose body fat by creating a "calorie deficit." It is about what you eat, not how much (but you'll need allot.)

You must cut sugar (corn, potato, grains, etc.) Some of the simplest advice is on the CF "start here" tab. Memorize that paragraph. Exercise will not make you lose body fat - eating a ton (and I mean a freaking ton) of good food (meat, veggies, nuts, seeds, some fruit) will make you lean and mean. You must eat, and you must eat clean. Fat loss will start almost immediately. The sugar cravings will go after a week or two (and the headaches). Read up as much as you have time for on the major topics: paleo, dairy, "Good Calories Bad Calories," etc.

Hope some of this helps, and again, all of this is IMO.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Matthew Eldredge

Profile:

Joe, thanks for responding. My main goal of 40 lbs is to be able to place me back into the "normal" side of life. Examples of "normal" would be fitting into clothes/cars/ airplane seat. I think you get the idea, I'm just so bulky that at this point that I am uncomfortable in most public places.

As for the diet side of things, I am not dieting but Im trying to change the way I eat, but its still hard. I had to hold myself to strict diets for 12 years of healthy and no food to make weight.

Now on to the question. I feel sore, but then I try to push myself to failure on each exercise, and I finish each exercise and I took the recommended beginner day off between work outs. Should I slow my pace to fill the entire time or should I still go till failure and then rest during the additional time?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Joe Dagen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Eldredge View Post
Joe, thanks for responding. My main goal of 40 lbs is to be able to place me back into the "normal" side of life. Examples of "normal" would be fitting into clothes/cars/ airplane seat. I think you get the idea, I'm just so bulky that at this point that I am uncomfortable in most public places.

Gotcha. That will come with a clean diet more quickly than you might think.

As for the diet side of things, I am not dieting but Im trying to change the way I eat, but its still hard. I had to hold myself to strict diets for 12 years of healthy and no food to make weight.

This is going to be 99% of your changes, IMO. I would almost suggest spending the time to learn about how to eat and what to eat over working out. IMO, if you don't have time to do the food right then skip the exercise. A guy your size is going to see results almost instantaneously when you cut refined foods and sugar from your diet. You might consider eating more fruit during the transition period from "old" way to "paleo" way - i.e., berries, apples, etc., will help while your body adapts to such a huge influx of nutrient dense foods and no simple sugars or grains. Take maybe 2 weeks and eat paleo + a bit of extra fruit (skip the garbage fruit like bananas). You're a big, probably muscular guy with a long history of odd eating habits via wrestling. I would expect (though I have no expertise) you to see results very, very quickly if you can eat an enormous amount of good food and continue to train.

Now on to the question. I feel sore, but then I try to push myself to failure on each exercise, and I finish each exercise and I took the recommended beginner day off between work outs. Should I slow my pace to fill the entire time or should I still go till failure and then rest during the additional time?
Interesting question, and I have no expertise in the "correct" answer. That said, IMO you might consider figuring out how to space the movements within that minute to get the maximum number of reps you can (the most "work" if your a physics inclined guy.) In other words, you've got 1 minute - how many reps, with rest or without, can you get in 1 minute? For example, I might be able to pull 10 sumo deadlifts without a break but then be fried for the remainder of the minute - or I could perform more work by doing 3x5 sets of sumos during that minute. <-- the latter seems more valuable to me, but this is just my interpretation and could be very different from what others would say.