CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
Dustin Standel

Profile:
Starting Strength Questions

Question about Rippoetoe's Starting Strength program:

What kind of rest periods should I utilize between sets while following this program?

How long should I follow this program before changing it up?

In advance for your time.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Standel View Post

What kind of rest periods should I utilize between sets while following this program?
From Rip:

"This is a strength program first, and a 'mass and conditioning program' second. As such, you rest as long as necessary between sets." And, "At first you can probably get by with no more than 2-3 minutes between sets. However, once the weights start getting heavier, you may take upward of 5 minutes between sets. Near the end of your training cycle, especially when you are setting PRs (personal records) in the squat, deadlift, and power clean you could be resting upward of 7 minutes."

I'm not doing SS, but I am doing 5x5s. I just squatted my 1RM for a 5x5 set on Sunday, which is obviously a huge PR. I was resting almost 10 minutes between sets, partly because I scared as to get back under the bar.

Quote:
What are your goals?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
Patrik Tomasson

Profile:

Tamara, I am doing 5x5 too

Few questions if you dont mind

1. Rest: I took 5 mins between sets but now am similary where you are at in relation to your previous 1rm. How far should you take linear progression if you get my meaning? I mean I could probably get 5x5 with 10-15 mins rest but the workout will last a very long time. and I have a job and a girlfriend! Should you just take the length of rest you need as a sign liner has stopped for you? The reps are brutally hard and I need to grind them out. Im concerned this will make me really slow

2. Recovery: Is this programme impossible to do in conjunction with cardio? I play soccer. Would I be better off with a different strength programme?

Advice much appreciated
Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik Tomasson View Post

1. Rest: I took 5 mins between sets but now am similary where you are at in relation to your previous 1rm. How far should you take linear progression if you get my meaning? I mean I could probably get 5x5 with 10-15 mins rest but the workout will last a very long time. and I have a job and a girlfriend! Should you just take the length of rest you need as a sign liner has stopped for you? The reps are brutally hard and I need to grind them out. Im concerned this will make me really slow

2. Recovery: Is this programme impossible to do in conjunction with cardio? I play soccer. Would I be better off with a different strength programme?

Advice much appreciated
Getting strong isn't easy . My sets have been brutally hard from the beginning because I started out at really high percentages of my maxes. Have you taken shorter rest periods and failed on a rep? Basically, you want to avoid failure, although it will obviously happen at some point. I failed on the last rep of my second set a few weeks ago and then finished the remaining sets without a problem. So, you could try cutting down the rest time and see if you're still successful. Also, how much are you going up in weight each time? Are you microloading? I did a deload week and after it, I dropped down 5 lbs on all my sets. I think that really helped me mentally because I KNEW I could do the weight...I'd already done it. The mental piece is as big as the physical piece for me. Especially with front squats, I literally shake between sets, and there was one set where I came as close to crying as possible. I understand the time issue. I haven't been getting in all of my accessory work because sometimes it takes so long to finish a 5x5 set.

As for recovery, it depends. I cut out running and WODs for two weeks, and then I've done some WODs in the last week because they were part of my shoulder rehab. You won't get as strong as fast if you're doing a lot of other crap. On the other hand, if soccer is your priority, time frame may not be as important. You'll probably get better advice from someone who's doing strength programming along with a sport, but offhand, CFFB may be a good choice for you.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"How long should I follow this program before changing it up?"

Until it stops working

"2. Recovery: Is this programme impossible to do in conjunction with cardio? I play soccer. Would I be better off with a different strength programme?"

How often and how long do you play soccer?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:

In advance for your time.
As the weight gets heavier you'll need more rest inbetween sets. You follow the program until you legitimately cannot continue linear progression after a couple of resets.

legitimately = no form issues, you're eating enough, you're sleeping enough and you're resting enough between sets.

If you are LEGITIMATELY missing reps in consecutive workouts after a couple of resets then you're ready to move onto something different.

What are your lifts, weight, age, and goals ?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:

Advice much appreciated
When I followed a linear progression program I could not have played soccer, Not even once a week. In order for me to go up in weight at each workout I had to only lift, eat and sleep. Soccer would have wrecked my program. However, I'm 36 and don't have the T-levels of a younger male .....
Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
However, I'm 36 and don't have the T-levels of a younger male .....
Shut it. I'm 34. And, I'm not jumping on the I'm-too-old wagon yet, buddy.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Quote:

Advice much appreciated
You might consider switching to 3x5, which could also prolong your progression.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
Nicole Perryman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
The mental piece is as big as the physical piece for me.
How do you personally overcome the mental aspect of it? I am having a lot of problems with this right now.