CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
Josh Shepherd

Profile:
how big is your town?

Hi, I am starting to think about startng an crossfit box but was wondering how big of a town you need to be in to support a one. The town I live in has a population of about 13,000. There is no other box here but the big commercial gym is a registerd affiliate but they only offer 2 crossfit classes a week.

So if you have a box in a town about my size how many members do you have?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Eric R Cohen

Profile:
Re: how big is your town?

According to CFLA, you need 150 members to be successful. That's just over 1% of the population. Sounds a bit challenging. Though I never opened a box (but I think about it alot ;-)
Old 04-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Depends on how you define success. I know affiliates with over 200 members and affiliates with around thirty. Is earning a sole living from a box your goal? Is just just the idea of having your own box that pays it's own bills? Both are valid answers from both ends of the spectrum. It's up to you to decide where your goal is.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

My town has about 82,000. But it's also a suburb of Oklahoma City and connected to Norman, OK where the University of Oklahoma is. So you have to kind of throw all those cities into the mix as far as potential clients.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Devin Glage

Profile:

My box is under a year old in a town of 16K. We currently have over 70 members. Word of mouth spreads faster in small communities. Be excellent at what you do, and the people will find you. Target people with large social circles... doctors, real estate agents, hairdressers, etc,.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Josh Shepherd

Profile:

Thanks for the input, I know I am a long way away from actually opening a box but its good to hear that they have a chance in a smaller town.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

When I was in Sedona I had a heck of a time. 12k population, average age 50, no surrounding communities, very low population density. There was a very poor response. The clients I had did great, but the numbers weren't there. When I moved out of state I left a Level I trainer and competitive weightlifter with group-ex training experience who wanted no part of trying to take over and build that business. She subsequently purchased two retail business, both in different fields in which she had no experience. Clearly she thought it better business to spend close to six figures to purchase a retail business she knew nothing about rather than take over that affliate for free. That's been my experience. YMMV.