CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #41
Richard Furr
Member Richard Furr is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Casper  Wyoming
Posts: 42
Re: selling supplements out of CF box??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Richard,
Odds are good your "bottled water" is coming from the tap somewhere anyway.
Yeah, but from what I understand it's not the same as treated city tap water with flouride and chlorine. A lot of time it's Reverse Osmosis filtered or at least flouride free. But I agree, it's not ideal and I think it's a waste. It's much easier and cheaper to filter tap water.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #42
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: selling supplements out of CF box??

One way to avoid the complexities of buying and selling supplements is to join a company like ********. PM me if you want to know more

Seriously though, one thing to think about is how many of your clients are going to take supplements anyway? Why would they not buy them through their trainer(s) if available??

Also, I believe you should sell the products you believe in...If the only supplement you believe in is Fish Oil, then only sell fish oil...I'm sure every CF Trainer out there recommends Fish Oil to their clients..why not recommend it, and then say, "Oh by the way we have this, tested, quality fish oil right here that I use myself....".
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #43
Wayne Riddle
Member Wayne Riddle is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewiston  ME
Posts: 1,779
Re: selling supplements out of CF box??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Furr View Post
I'm not gonna drink some chlorine/fluoride contaminated tap water from the bathroom sink.
More then one blind taste test has shown people prefer the taste of municipal (i.e. city) tap water over bottled water. Good chance that it contains less contaminants then bottled water.

I recall Penn and Teller doing a great "taste test" of bottle water. Having people rank them, etc. Joke was it was all the same water from a faucet in the kitchen placed in different bottles. Was funny as hell listening to people rant and rave of this one bottle water over another.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #44
Kim Layton
Affiliate Kim Layton is offline
 
Kim Layton's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Beaumont  Alberta
Posts: 262
Re: selling supplements out of CF box??

I'm not even sure why I'm responding to this because it has become so off the track its ridiculous. Not to mention that odds are good that it was started by some troll looking to goad someone in to a stupid dialogue.

Anyway...ever hear of supply and demand? If people want to buy water why wouldn't they want to buy it at the gym...yes cold. Not sitting in their car all day long to get hot or like where I live it'll be frozen.

I can't stomach room temp or warm...makes me want to puke. Would just LOVE to see actual research that cold water "damages" linings of the gut. Perhaps I'll be shown how closed minded I am on that but I'll still drink it cold regardless.

Ok but back to the off topic...er, topic...

I sell water at my facility and I can't keep the fridge stocked! You really think I'm going to give that away for free? Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Do restaurants give drinks away for free? I hate this ridiculous notion that .com gives the WODS away for free so everything should be free or rock bottom. DRIVES ME NUTS!

Now let me finish by saying this, I also have a direct line water cooler that is RO filtered with cups (yes for free) at it and you know what, people still buy more water than use it. People will even buy a bottle and then buy another one instead of filling it at the cooler. So before you go off judging owners for something they do with THEIR business...don't.
__________________
www.sparksportconditioning.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #45
Frank E Morel
Member Frank E Morel is offline
 
Frank E Morel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Santa Rosa  CA
Posts: 2,328
Re: selling supplements out of CF box??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Layton View Post
I'm not even sure why I'm responding to this because it has become so off the track its ridiculous. Not to mention that odds are good that it was started by some troll looking to goad someone in to a stupid dialogue.

Anyway...ever hear of supply and demand? If people want to buy water why wouldn't they want to buy it at the gym...yes cold. Not sitting in their car all day long to get hot or like where I live it'll be frozen.

I can't stomach room temp or warm...makes me want to puke. Would just LOVE to see actual research that cold water "damages" linings of the gut. Perhaps I'll be shown how closed minded I am on that but I'll still drink it cold regardless.

Ok but back to the off topic...er, topic...

I sell water at my facility and I can't keep the fridge stocked! You really think I'm going to give that away for free? Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Do restaurants give drinks away for free? I hate this ridiculous notion that .com gives the WODS away for free so everything should be free or rock bottom. DRIVES ME NUTS!

Now let me finish by saying this, I also have a direct line water cooler that is RO filtered with cups (yes for free) at it and you know what, people still buy more water than use it. People will even buy a bottle and then buy another one instead of filling it at the cooler. So before you go off judging owners for something they do with THEIR business...don't.
http://www.bluegold-worldwaterwars.com/ wfs

corporate giants force developing countries to privatize their water supply for profit. Wall Street investors target desalination and mass bulk water export schemes. Corrupt governments use water for economic and political gain. Military control of water emerges and a new geo-political map and power structure forms, setting the stage for world water wars.

We follow numerous worldwide examples of people fighting for their basic right to water, from court cases to violent revolutions to U.N. conventions to revised constitutions to local protests at grade schools. As Maude Barlow proclaims, “This is our revolution, this is our war”. A line is crossed as water becomes a commodity. Will we survive?

if you loved food inc... you will be stunned by this one
__________________
Creating heaven on earth: one deadlift session at a time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #46
Lan Halbert
Member Lan Halbert is offline
 
Lan Halbert's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bowie  MD
Posts: 213
Re: selling supplements out of CF box??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
http://www.bluegold-worldwaterwars.com/ wfs

corporate giants force developing countries to privatize their water supply for profit. Wall Street investors target desalination and mass bulk water export schemes. Corrupt governments use water for economic and political gain. Military control of water emerges and a new geo-political map and power structure forms, setting the stage for world water wars.

We follow numerous worldwide examples of people fighting for their basic right to water, from court cases to violent revolutions to U.N. conventions to revised constitutions to local protests at grade schools. As Maude Barlow proclaims, “This is our revolution, this is our war”. A line is crossed as water becomes a commodity. Will we survive?

if you loved food inc... you will be stunned by this one
I know the dvd makers need their money but it's just funny that it's about "profiteering from water" but in order to see it you have to purchase it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #47
Kris Murphy
Departed Kris Murphy is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hillsboro  OR
Posts: 535
Re: selling supplements out of CF box??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
One way to avoid the complexities of buying and selling supplements is to join a company like ********. PM me if you want to know more
No offense, but I don't think Multi Level Marketing companies have any place in the health and fitness world.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #48
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
 
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: selling supplements out of CF box??

To note, if I could, Aush, I would have my boys loading up on fish oil and VitD, possibly CalMagZinc on workout days perhaps even whey+glutamine. I did check out the ******** stuff.

Actually, I would probably give them the option dosed with some words that enticed them to do so. Then again they are welcome to any eggs, milk, and cheese they want during break besides whatever is on hand for snacking (apples, bananas, grapes, pears, celery&carrots, nuts, berries, melons, etc). Occasionally those little punks even get some bratwursts, salami, jerky, and pizza (yeah, yeah ) If we only had a microwave at work, we could have bacon...*thinking*.

I've been meaning to keep a pitcher of filtered water. Our water fountains can taste super awesome some days, especially if it's not cold.

At one gym, I go to, the owner sells bottle water (not mountain/spring water) for 25c so it's not like he is making a killing on it as it just goes to replenishing the stock. However, at $1 or more there is definitely some profit to be made.

Personally, so long as an affiliate gym is providing filtered water-I can understand them also selling water (even though the point about bottled water and the earth is very debateable).

Honestly, if I'm thirsty, so long as their is a hose or a tap, I'm G2G though I do like filtered watered or chilled BigBottle Water (the 5gallon Arrowhead or such).
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling some equipment John S Park Equipment 2 12-27-2009 10:13 AM
Selling CF to the Firedepartment Tyrone Harward Community 4 10-28-2009 10:04 AM
Selling CrossFit to my Wife Jason Hogue Starting 16 08-27-2008 07:59 AM
Anybody selling rings? Gene Chun Equipment 8 03-09-2008 06:52 AM
An Easy Guide to Building a Plyo Box or Jump Box Garth Reed Equipment 4 02-19-2007 08:59 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.